Create Account

A look at the 3rd Round of the S57 SMJHL Draft (2x Draft Media)
(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 12:50 PM by cahtah haht.)

This is a look at the draftees of the 3rd Round of the S57 SMJHL Draft
1. With the 25th overall pick, the Carolina Kraken selected Finn von Murphenstein (RD). Murphenstein is a two-way defensemen who's physical stats will make sure he is a pain in the side of anyone who takes him on. He is a very accurate shooter who is better at keeping the puck out of his team's zone by making sure his offense has it. Murphenstien will be a fine addition to the Kraken's lines and he could become the player Carolina trusts with a game saving slapshot. This player could end up scoring on a lot of slapshots from the point, but ability to read an offense means that he could end up setting his teammates with a lot of chances. Murphenstien is definitely a high value 3rd round pick that could cause a stir in the league. 

2. With the 26th overall pick, the Kelowna Knights selected Richard Lafleur (RD). Another two-way defensemen, his is a strong shooter and is great at protecting his net. Lafleur always knows where to be on the ice, and he is one of the best skaters in the round. Following the news of this pick, we got a statement from Lafleur himself: "I mean, yeah, obviously I'm very excited to get picked up early in the 3rd round. Coming in so close to the start of the draft made things interesting for me when trying to get my name out there as someone that can produce and improve. I couldn't be happier with where I ended up, and I'm looking forward to getting the season started" Lafleur was clearly excite to have ended up in Kelowna and he is looking to be one of their better players and he is looking like another high value pick in a draft laden with talent. 

3.With the 27th overall pick, the St Louis Scarecrows drafted Hunter Sharpe (LW). Sharpe is a very well rounded player, and although he obviously prefers when his team has the puck, he will be able to pull his weight on the defensive end. He is on the lighter side at 175 lbs, but he is a very good skater and is a good shot. Sharpe will be a good rotation winger who could develop into a top shooter. Sharpe is yet another high value pick and he will look to help his team score a lot of points while also being a contributing factor to keeping the puck out of his own net.

4. With the 28th overall pick, the Quebec City Citadels selected Brian Davenport (RW). Davenport is an offensively gifted player. He is also a good skater and is very strong, so when he has the puck he will be a serious threat. Davenport will bring a lot to an offense and will probably be a recurring name in his team's scoresheet. He isn't just good at shooting, though, he is also very good at getting open and reading an offense and screening goalies, meaning he will play a key role in his team's offense while he is on the ice, playing a part in every shot. As time goes on, it is likely that Davenport will join the other members of his draft class as one of the better players in the league. 

5. With the 29th overall pick, the Colorado Raptors selected Rovolio Clocksberg Junior (RD). Clocksberg will be an enforcer defensemen, although he is not much of a fighter. He instead is good at stickchecking, puck handling, passing, blocking shots, and positioning. Despite his size, he is one of the fastest players in his draft class, which will come in handy if he has to chase down breakaways. Clocksberg will make life difficult for wings and centers alike, making it hard for them to get pucks to the net. When questioned about his reaction to being picked, he said that he did not expect to be picked so early, saying that he went to get coffee as he expected to be waiting for a while. His team believes he will be worth the pick, however, and he will likely play a big role protecting the Raptors' net for the next few years. 

6. With the 30th overall pick, the Maine Timber selected Jonny Tsunami (LW). Tsunami is one of the best offensive players in the draft, however he is one of the worst defensive players. He is a very accurate shooter, although he is best from up close. He weighs 242 lbs but is still a strong skater, and is good at getting open. While he may not be the best passer or puck handler, he is very strong. His imbalanced stats show that he likes to do the work himself, and much prefers keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Tsunami could become one of the best players in the league on the power play, and a top shootout player, and he will be an important player for the Timber when they are in need of a goal.

7. With the 31st overall pick, the Newfoundland Berserkers selected Ric Charlesworth ©. The first center of the third round, Charlesworth is more offensively talented. Like many in the draft, Charlesworth is a good skater. He is not very strong, but he is an accurate shooter from close range. He is also not a great passer, but he is very good at getting open and puck handling. His primary role will to be to win faceoffs to give his team the puck, and while his team has the puck he will be a strong shooter. Charlesworth with the puck in the slot will be a dangerous sight for goalies across the SMJHL. He is also good at checking despite his stats in other defensive areas. As a one way center, Charlesworth will be an important figure in his team's offense throughout his time in the SMJHL.

8.With the 32nd overall pick, the Vancouver Whalers selected Nikolaj Boyle (LW). Boyle is a very well rounded player but he is better at offense than defense, which can be expected as he is a wing. He will be very strong on defense for the Whalers, though, carrying his weight and helping to keep the puck out of his own net. He is another player that is a very accurate shot from up close, and he is a good passer. He will set up his team with a lot of chances, and he will have a fair few himself as he excels at getting open. Boyle will be strong on whatever line he is put on, exemplifying just how much talent was available in the Season 57 SMJHL Draft.

9.With the 33rd overall pick, the Kelowna Knights selected Travis Konecny (LW). Konecny is extremely offensively inclined, similar to Johnny Tsunami, but unlike Tsunami he is good enough on defense to play adequately on defense until his team gets the puck back. Konecny is however lacking in the skating department. He is a good puck handler, but balance is lacking and he doesn't have great acceleration either. In his zone, however, Konecny is strong, as he is an accurate shooter whether from the point or the slot, and he is also a good passer and can even set a good screen so he will likely play a part in many goals during the season. We actually got his reaction and first statement after being drafted: "Wow, this is amazing. I... I had hoped that I would end up in Kelowna, actually. Of all the teams in the pre-draft interviews, they stuck out to me. They were just friendlier, I am really glad they decided to pick me up. I can't wait for the start of the season." Konecny was clearly excited, and he will likely gain a major role like the rest of the rookies on his team.

10.With the 34th overall pick, the Anchorage Armada selected David S Pumpkins (LW). Pumpkins is good at offense and skating, and he is not bad on defense. He is one of the biggest players in the draft and yet one of the fastest. He is also very strong so he will be carrying his weight on both defense and offense. Pumpkins is not the best shooter, however, but he is good at screening, passing, and puck handling so he will be setting up his teammates a lot throughout the year. The winger will likely have an important role on his team as he improves throughout the season. 

11. With the 35th overall pick, the Carolina Kraken selected Golden Face (RW). Face is a another well rounded player, as good on defense as he is on offense. He is pretty good in almost all stats but not notably better at any part of the game. He will be a strong two way player for the Kraken so he will be an important player in late game situations where they are tied and possibly in overtime. As he is so well rounded, he will fit in any position so it will be interesting to see how he is used by the Kraken.

12. With the 36th overall pick, the Vancouver Whalers selected Narboza Manyhands (RD). This player is from the Crab Nebula which I am told is a real place. He may have between 6 and 12 hands and nobody is sure which rules that violates if any. Either way, he has been a beast on the ice. He is a decent skater and he is great at positioning. His stickchecking and defensive read are also very high stats which probably have to do with his extremely large alien brain and his many hands. He is also good at passing and puck handling so he will be able to set up his teammates with a lot of chances during the season.

Thanks for reading!

In this article I wrote about players created by @r0tzbua , @Kierkan , @ImYolo@Vandy , @BloodPig ,  @Jonny Tsunami , @"simo_393" , @zaynzk , myself, @Rev , @Dewalt27 , and @nyumbayangu 

[Image: pub?w=620&h=349]
[Image: pub?w=1816&h=100]

Love it! Pumped for our rooks over in KEL

Great work! Knights Knights

Great read, nicely done! Looking forward to more.

Solid post! Knights

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Thank you for writing this article. The league desperately needed an article like this out about this particular class. I just want to say that Kelowna got an absolute steal with @Kierkan at 26. This guy in a normal draft class is not making it far into the 2nd and in last year's class would've easily gone in the first round. Remember kids, those draft picks after round 2 can be real real real valuable.

[Image: RrqOgzL.png]
[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]
[Image: yuWLBZB.png]