Friendly Goalie Award Discussion

11-26-2020, 04:57 PMluketd Wrote: Happy thanksgiving everyone

Luke, May your turkey be rich with #juice

Heart

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

11-26-2020, 04:47 PMBlastmeaway Wrote:
11-26-2020, 04:43 PMFuzzSHL Wrote: This. As someone who has been looking at advanced goalie stats in the J for the past 6 seasons, you essentially have to ignore Wins and, to an extent, GAA. Wins is a team statistic, period.

When you look at each goalie’s GAA and save percentage, you will notice that they have similar save percentages but Booth has a higher GAA. Even without looking at advanced stats, you can infer that Booth faced much more shots than Vilde did.

When you look at the advanced stats, Booth simply stole more games than Vilde did. LAP would not have finished with nearly as good a record as they did if they had a different goalie. Calgary, however, would have finished in a similar position with a different goalie simply because of the team in front of whoever was in net.

This isn’t trying to discredit the season that Vilde had. Instead, it’s a testament to just how great Booth was given what he had to face.

jesus i hate looking at that dudes broken ass nose for like 2 rounds in the post season, now its your profile pic fuzz? i've stated this numerous times, my only issue with the Carolina Hurricanes is Rod Brind'Amor's busted mug.

Rod Brind’Amour is a beaut, you take it back

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

11-26-2020, 05:09 PMFuzzSHL Wrote:
11-26-2020, 04:47 PMBlastmeaway Wrote: jesus i hate looking at that dudes broken ass nose for like 2 rounds in the post season, now its your profile pic fuzz? i've stated this numerous times, my only issue with the Carolina Hurricanes is Rod Brind'Amor's busted mug.

Rod Brind’Amour is a beaut, you take it back

Yeah, don't you talk about my real dad like that, Assmeaway

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

I don't believe Booth should have won best goalie because he wasn't the best goalie. He was the most important goalie for sure and his MVP nomination was well deserved.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020, 05:22 PM by Blastmeaway.)

11-26-2020, 04:57 PMluketd Wrote: Happy thanksgiving everyone
Thanks Coco Luke, happy turkey to you too.

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

11-26-2020, 05:09 PMFuzzSHL Wrote: Rod Brind’Amour is a beaut, you take it back

11-26-2020, 05:11 PM.bojo Wrote: Yeah, don't you talk about my real dad like that, Assmeaway

I only simp to one broken nose at a time. Footer is the true broken nose man in my life.

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

Hey hey hey, its this discussion again. As someone who barnstormed pretty hard for Booth with my series of articles I think I have a little insight into the rationale behind picking him over Vilde.

1. Vilde played behind the best defense in the league in terms of shots per 60 minutes. Jobin played behind the second best defense in the league in terms of this stat. Booth played behind the 6th worst. Now what does this mean? It means that Knox Booth had a much harder go of it than Vilde did, and put up much better stats despite facing on average about 1.55x the shots per game that Vilde did. What this means is that Vilde was helped statistically by the defense, while Knox was hurt from it and both put up similar numbers, enough so that I think the slight dip in stats for Knox is overcome by the adversity that had to be overcome.

2. Wins, GAA and shoutouts aren't good stats for individual goalie evaluations in FHM. All of these stats are influenced by the team around you, With GAA and shutouts being pretty directly correlated with shot volume. This kinda ties back into point 1. SO at the end of the day the best raw data stat we have is sv% which is only a .02 point difference between the two. I don't think that gap is as big as you imply.

At the end of the day Knox Booth would be my pick for both MVP and McBride. I think this is a good change, as in the past when you look at FHM-era McBride winners it traditionally went to goalies on very good teams who had strong defenses. S55 Larson was an above average defense, S54 Doyle had the best defense in the league by shot per game and S53 Leitner had the second best. I think the committee recognizing a goalie on a team with frankly a pretty poopoo caca defense is a step in the right direction for the award as a whole.

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

I'm just here so I won't get fined.

Panthers

[Image: p82ugau.png]

11-26-2020, 05:33 PMDuff101 Wrote: Hey hey hey, its this discussion again. As someone who barnstormed pretty hard for Booth with my series of articles I think I have a little insight into the rationale behind picking him over Vilde.

1. Vilde played behind the best defense in the league in terms of shots per 60 minutes.  Jobin played behind the second best defense in the league in terms of this stat. Booth played behind the 6th worst. Now what does this mean? It means that Knox Booth had a much harder go of it than Vilde did, and put up much better stats despite facing on average about 1.55x the shots per game that Vilde did. What this means is that Vilde was helped statistically by the defense, while Knox was hurt from it and both put up similar numbers, enough so that I think the slight dip in stats for Knox is overcome by the adversity that had to be overcome.

2. Wins, GAA and shoutouts aren't good stats for individual goalie evaluations in FHM. All of these stats are influenced by the team around you, With GAA and shutouts being pretty directly correlated with shot volume. This kinda ties back into point 1. SO at the end of the day the best raw data stat we have is sv% which is only a .02 point difference between the two. I don't think that gap is as big as you imply.

At the end of the day Knox Booth would be my pick for both MVP and McBride. I think this is a good change, as in the past when you look at FHM-era McBride winners it traditionally went to goalies on very good teams who had strong defenses. S55 Larson was an above average defense, S54 Doyle had the best defense in the league by shot per game and S53 Leitner had the second best. I think the committee recognizing a goalie on a team with frankly a pretty poopoo caca defense is a step in the right direction for the award as a whole.

Is it possible to get a good look at other stats used? Because looking at team dynamics shouldn't matter when looking at who was the best at their position and in every category Vilde was better.

[Image: aOowRDF.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020, 05:47 PM by Samsung virtual assistant.)

I member when i lost Mcbride because of Wins and GAA

Sad

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

11-26-2020, 05:47 PMJAJA SWEG DINGDONG Wrote: I member when i lost Mcbride because of Wins and GAA

Sad

At least you won all our hearts Sweg

[Image: wopo0De.png]
Signature Credit: Wasty

11-26-2020, 05:47 PMJAJA SWEG DINGDONG Wrote: I member when i lost Mcbride because of Wins and GAA

Sad

I voted for you that year!

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

(This post was last modified: 11-26-2020, 06:01 PM by Duff101.)

11-26-2020, 05:42 PMBasedMinkus Wrote:
11-26-2020, 05:33 PMDuff101 Wrote: Hey hey hey, its this discussion again. As someone who barnstormed pretty hard for Booth with my series of articles I think I have a little insight into the rationale behind picking him over Vilde.

1. Vilde played behind the best defense in the league in terms of shots per 60 minutes.  Jobin played behind the second best defense in the league in terms of this stat. Booth played behind the 6th worst. Now what does this mean? It means that Knox Booth had a much harder go of it than Vilde did, and put up much better stats despite facing on average about 1.55x the shots per game that Vilde did. What this means is that Vilde was helped statistically by the defense, while Knox was hurt from it and both put up similar numbers, enough so that I think the slight dip in stats for Knox is overcome by the adversity that had to be overcome.

Is it possible to get a good look at other stats used? Because looking at team dynamics shouldn't matter when looking at who was the best at their position and in every category Vilde was better.

My rationale for why I made my choice was up in the article Fuzz linked earlier. (I am not an awards voter but I hope I did manage to change some hearts and minds.)

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

I'm not a huge fan of these style of arguments the awards committee is making because inherently the player on the worse team is going to be more deserving of the award.

When it comes to the stat that is most fair to all goalie's situations (save percentage) Vilde is on top. If GAA and SO aren't being considered because they're team stats, why is the increased importance of Booth's role on the team being considered?

Vilde doesn't have the opportunity to make the team in front of him worse so he can truly show his value. That's just silly.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

11-26-2020, 05:50 PMAllegiant Wrote:

Sad

At least you won all our hearts Sweg

No u Alle

11-26-2020, 05:57 PMztevans Wrote:

Sad

I voted for you that year!

I knew i liked u for a reason

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]