Create Account

Hit the Bench with Reporter R: KEL's New Rookies! [2x draft media]
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2020, 12:52 AM by leafs1997.)

Note to Graders: The word count is at 10111 words. I'm splitting up the piece into two posts, the second is right below. Split evenly between myself, @Kierkan, @DannyC, @cahtah haht, @Flamingo, @MrRuihu, @Hazack.

Welcome back folks! As always, its your host, Reporter R, coming at you with another “Hit the Bench” segment. Today, we’re joined by the newest wave of talent joining the Kelowna Knights after the recently ended S57 SMJHL Draft. The Knights had a grand total of 7 picks this draft, 4 of which were in the top 20! This is a bigger panel than usual and we have a few guests joining us via Zoom calls, but let’s make the most of it! Let’s start off with some introductions!

Reporter R: The Knights’ first pick at #5 was defenseman #A-Rye Izzy, welcome! Right off the bat, I’m quite sure I mispronounced that, how DO you pronounce your name?

#A-Rye: Hey R! Thanks for having us! So, my name sounds like ‘A’ as in the Letter A + Rye (sounding like #delicious Rye Bread) …  I’m also here with my pet tiger #Kitty ... His name starts with ‘Kit’ as in (Kit Kats) and then the letter ‘E’ … by the way, don’t ever get #Kitty’s name wrong, he’s a bit emotional and may attempt to kill someone.

R: Oh wow, I’m so glad you’re not here in person! I’ll be careful with his name. I’m sure fans will learn your name and your pet tiger’s name soon enough! Could you tell us a bit about yourself? Where are you from?

#A-Rye: Sure! My name is #A-Rye Izzy, my dad played in the SHL for 21 seasons, I was consummated in a Vienna luxury suite after Austria played Russia in a medal round game back in S39. I enjoy talking about Bark, I consider myself a Pigeon savant and I was recently on Maury Povich. I also want to do very big things in the league.

R: Well, that was a bit too much info, but welcome to Kelowna, happy to have you! We also have with us, winger Gerry Atrick, drafted at #12. How are you doing today? Please introduce yourself to the fans watching!

Gerry: I'm doing great today Mr. R, and thank you so much for asking me to come on the show to answer some questions! Just as a quick introduction, Hello to all the fans out there, my name is Gerry, Gerry Atrick. I may not be the quickest guy on the ice, but I do make up for that with pure skill and old man strength. Not to mention this titanium hip I've got, now this titanium hip replacement has been in my family for 3 generations, yeah you heard that right! we all share it, since we bang bodies all day long on the ice in our glory days. You know for sure we're saving money by passing it along the family. Plus, that gives us time to make some modifications to that baby before the next generation gets a hold of it. I'm thinking of putting some asbestos in there so it's fireproof, can't die in a tragic fire, (totally not a hit from someone on the Detroit Falcons) like my daddy did if your titanium hip is fireproof! Oh yeah, So I come from somewhere, Sweden, like my daddy, and his daddy before him, the bearers of the hip you could call us, 'cause we've had that baby for 3 generations.

R: Err yeah, thank you for joining us! How about you grab a drink of water, and we’ll come back to you…Next up, we have center Roboute Guilliman, picked up at #14. Welcome!

Roboute: Hello everyone! My name is Roboute Guilliman. To many peoples surprise I grew up with an uncanny ability to play hockey, as if I was genetically created to play this sport. I am one of 20 kids in my family, all boys. And growing up inherited my father’s skills at leadership. And I do my best to live up to his expectations. Which can be guiling at times. He is often referred to as the Emperor of Mankind. Scary title for a scary man. I didn’t end up playing in many Junior leagues but was being coached privately by many of the top coaches in the world. And thanks to my fathers influence I was able to get into the draft.

R: That doesn’t sound fishy at all! Thank you for joining us today! The Knights’ #20 pick in the S57 SMJHL Draft was winger Danny C. Good to have you, please introduce yourself!

Danny: Hey R, thanks for taking the time to interview me! I’m Danny C, a left winger out of the District. I gotta give a huge shout out to my coaches! I spent a lot of time at various camps around DC and learned a lot of the fundamentals from summer training camps out on Cape Cod. I couldn’t have made it this far without them! These guys always hounded me to play a clean game (at least when the refs were watching) and have helped me keep my game rounded. The coaches here in Kelowna are picking up right where they left off, although by the end of the season I think I’ll start to develop some special skill sets and carve out a more defined role for myself on the team, so that’s something for the fans to keep an eye on!

R: Welcome, welcome! Quick question before we move on, why not fulfil your destiny, and become a center?

Danny: Well that’s a good question. The answer of course, is how am I supposed to check some fool straight into the boards if I’m in the center of the ice? I’ve never been very good at open ice checks, and I think that's the biggest thing that kept me from playing center at this level. The boards have always been a huge part of my game, I’ve got a real knack for fishing the puck off the boards and turning it into an opportunity for my team. That, and my shots just better from the left wing. Slapshots from down ice are cool and all, but there's just nothing like deking a defender, getting right up to the crease then making the keeper look a fool as the puck goes off your stick and past him. It just makes it more personal, you know?

R: Oh yeah, I have to say I agree. Nothing better than a solid hit, leaving your opponent gasping for air. Next, the Knights picked up another defenseman, Richard LaFleur, at #26. How are you doing today?

Richard: Hey guys, I’m Richard! I’m feeling on cloud nine right now, for sure! For a little background information for you guys, I was born in Vancouver on the west coast of Canada. I spent the majority of my winters on the pond passing the puck around with the boys. I’ve been a big fan of the game my whole life. I have some pretty fond memories of sitting and watching games with my Dad. I think he might have been more excited than me coming into the Draft if that’s possible! I’m pretty lucky to have such a strong family support system back home in Vancouver. I’m honored to be a part of the Knights organization; Kelowna is a great city with even better people. I’m ready to get to work! Thanks for having me on the show.

R: Oh, hopefully no loyalties with the Vancouver Whalers, then? The guys here might not take kindly to that. Anyways, glad to have ya! With their 6th pick in this draft at #33, the Knights selected winger Travis Konecny. Tell us about yourself, Travis!

Travis: Hey I’m Travis, I’m Canadian. I’m from Alberta. I grew up playing hockey and I am really glad I ended up here. I am a winger and I’ve always been good at putting pucks in nets. I hope to continue that into the SMJHL during my time with the Knights. Speaking of the Knights, this team is looking really good if I say so myself. Watch out for us at the Four Star Cup.

R: I love the confidence! Everyone I speak to from the Knights tells me they’ll be fighting for the Four Star Cup this season. As with everyone, pleasure to meet you! Lastly, we’ve got winger Christopher Ford, drafted at #52. Now, we’ve already had a sit down, but mind sharing with the people who you are again?

Chris: Thank you so much for the warm welcome! I’m Christopher, coming from the southern part of the United States in Atlanta, Georgia. I grew up watching my older brothers play baseball. It would have been so easy to follow in their path, but I just felt that it wasn’t something I really wanted to do. I wanted to start my own family trend, branch out, you know? I loved going ice skating when the winter came at my local skating rink and, I don’t know, it just felt right. That’s when I realized what I wanted. One day, I just decided to pick up a stick and skate around, just to see what it felt like, and I never turned back. I learned to love the feeling of feeling the puck leave the stick, I just couldn’t get away from that feeling. Needless to say, I’m thrilled to have this opportunity, it’s a lifelong dream and I’m so glad that I can start my journey with the Knights.

R: Welcome to Kelowna! I’m sure the Quadruplets are ecstatic to have you joining their squad! Now, let’s ditch the sequential answering, that’s much too boring, do we agree? Murmurs of agreement are heard. Perfect! I think the fans here in Kelowna are dying to get to know you. After all, they’ve got to pick their favorite rookie to cheer for! How’s a bit of rapid-fire sound? Where’d my cue cards go…. there they are! First off, how would you describe yourself as a player? Any SHL/NHL comparables? Someone start us off and then just keep it going.

Travis: I can go first! I’m an offense guy. I plan on becoming a top offensive player, I want to help my team get a lot of points no matter what it takes.

Danny: I’ve always prided myself on being a very well-rounded player, but I am still developing, and I know I have a long way to go. I’m not quite cocky enough to say I would be a good comparison with any of the current SHL or NHL greats, but of course there are some guys who I hope one day I can be compared with. Ovechkin of course has been a hero of mine for years, but also guys like Patrick Kane or T J Oshie.

Chris: I’d hope that I could be described as the guy that you’d find right in the middle of the action. I enjoy getting involved in those puck battles and turning them into scoring opportunities. It’s truly a thrilling experience. Of course, having that open angle from the dot is nice here and there, but it is far more interesting to get right up in the goalie’s face. That’s something I hope to experience many times here this season. As far as comparisons, I don’t really know if I have any that jump out at me, but as I mentioned earlier when I first found my love for the game, I like being unique, so maybe that’s just my mind clouding out the look-alikes. It’s not that I feel that I’m better than the rest, I’ve definitely got a lot to learn, but I aspire to make my own path as I make my way up the ranks.

Richard: I'd have to say a puck moving defenseman that is responsible in his own zone. I'm not afraid to put the puck on the net either! I like to play hard and fast every single shift. If I had to pick someone to compare my playstyle to, I'd have to say Drew Doughty. Good hands and a student of the game. Obviously, there’s a long way to go before I reach that level, but that would be the end goal I’d say.

Gerry: I'd say I'm a lot like that fella, Sean Couturier, he's quite a good skater you know? he also knows how to score and set up plays really well with his teammates. His eyes are always where they need to be to make sure the play goes right, otherwise he'd say he didn't play his best and doesn't feel inclined to blame his teammates, you know? that's how I feel. My game is my game, and I wouldn't want my teammates to be dragged down by my sloppy play, so I'll be doing my best to make sure my game is at its best, right from day one. and that's the titanium-hip guarantee.

#A-Rye: I can go next, I guess. Well, I’m the youngest player in the league. I played hockey my freshman season and then had some shit go down pune India (the home of Teddy Cuddles) and I missed some time... So, I’m not really sure what my game is or will be... I do like skating and scoring... I also like Hydrocodone with a few beers in my off time.

Roboute: I would describe myself as someone who is a leader that will do whatever is necessary for the benefit of the team. I had many titles growing up but one of them was “The Blade of Unity”. And I intend to keep that up. I want to make sure the team is focused on a joint goal. My main position is center and as that I want to both be reliable in my goal scoring and also reliable in my playmaking ability. But if someone goes after my teammate, I will bring the legions down upon them!

R: Nice, nice! Now, let’s focus in on specifics. What’s 1 skill that you will bring to the table for the Knights?

Roboute: Big one is my reliability. I strive to be a player that the team can rely upon in clutch moments as well as just a sturdy player throughout the whole game.

Danny: I’ve already talked a little bit about speed, but for this question I’ll elaborate on it a little bit. I’ve spent a lot of extra hours on the ice working on getting up to speed, maneuvering at speed, and just getting faster, quicker, and more agile. Fancy dekes and slick moves are cool and all, but there's no substitute for just flat out leaving your opponents in your dust on breakaway. I hope to come up with a few loose pucks this season and use the jets to turn the game into a one on one- just me and the net minder.

Chris: I don’t quit. When the third period comes around, I aim to be just as sharp as I was before the opening faceoff. I aim to take advantage of those late-game chances when everyone else is out of it, and that’s where I think I shine the brightest. Of course, I don’t sit back in the first period to preserve that energy for the end. I without a doubt give it my all from beginning to end, but I feel that I can outlast those tiring final minutes better than some of the others.

Travis: I am a scorer and a playmaker. I am much more offensively inclined and can set my team up with a goal, assist, or a screen to help get some points. Just because I am a shooter doesn’t mean I will snub my teammates and take too many shots, though, I will always be a team player first and if another person is more open then me I will pass it to them. After all it counts for just as much on the scoreboard whether or not I take the shot.

Richard: I think the most prominent thing I’ll bring to the team straight away is my work ethic. I throw my all into everything I do, on and off the ice. Whether it’s a blowout game or a nail biter that’s too close to call, you can rest assured I’m going to have the pedal to the metal as soon as my skates hit the ice. I don’t plan to sit back and coast, I want to be a good teammate and impactful.

Gerry: Now I don't know if anyone has heard of this, but in my family, we have a little secret, that goes back at least ... 6 generations now. you see, we have this thing, you happen to need it after an injury, which we all have had, see they called us weak hipped warriors, all 19 generations. 'cause you see, we'd bang so many bodies on that there ice surface, we'd end up needing a new hip, and this titanium one has been in the family for probably twenty four generations now, you see 'cause we invented hockey. Anyways that's why Kelowna decided to pick me, 'cause we invented ice hockey.

R: Oh right….that makes sense. I’m surprised other teams passed on you! Favorite NHL player? SHL player?

#A-Rye: Well, I love the Augment Mike Izzy. When I was younger #9 Dani Forsberg, Clint Eastwood from SFP and Kelowna Knight alumni Richard Physk all use to baby sit me. When I was 11, I smoked a little weed with Mack Daddy, and I found my god father Esa Anrikkanen’s PEP’s under his kitchen sink.

Roboute: I would say my favorite NHL player is Patrick Marleau in his prime. I have never seen someone be able to control the puck so well and move with such precision. If I'm forced to pick a SHL player then I'd have to pick this player Adam Scianna, but I'd rather not talk about all the details.

Gerry: I think I covered this already, that fella Sean Couturier, well he's my favourite in the NHL, in the SHL I really liked that fella from Kelowna, he played here a while before my time, I believe his name was .. well, Devin Williams. That boy was strong in the offensive zone, and stronger in the defensive zone, and he could put up goals, that boy could snipe like nobody’s business. you see 'cause he invented the knuckle puck, the put it in that there mighty ducks movie, but only 'cause that boy invented it, and he was the best you'd ever seen do it, mostly 'cause he invented it, no one else could do it you see.

Danny: I mean it’s gotta be Ovechkin, right? He’s the greatest goal scorer of the current era, if not all time. He’s a right-handed left winger (Remind you of anyone you know? I’ll give you a hint, name rhymes with Lanny C) and he just plays the game right. He’s full of passion for the game, always full of energy and even when things go poorly for him, he leaves it all out there on the ice. Plus, you gotta love the player who stays with one team his whole career. I know people who saw Ovi play at their first hockey game in 05 or 06 when they were 10 years old, who are now bringing their kids to their first games to see none other than the Great Eight play for their hometown team.

Chris: I think we had talked about this in another one, but without an NHL team in Atlanta, I found myself drawn to the attitude that Nick Foligno carries with him day in and day out. He’s quiet but he’s someone that you can respect and that you can rely on. I think that’s something I’ll be taking with me during my career. I definitely want to be a leader, but I don’t want to boast it. Being a silent leader is a complement I’ve received in the past, and it’s something I will forever cherish. Foligno does that better than anyone. He doesn’t put himself above the rest and he goes out to earn his title as if it was on the line every game.

Travis: Take three guesses. (Travis Konecny)

Richard: I’ve got to go with Burnaby Joe here. Growing up in Burnaby myself, I always looked up to him as a person that led by example. His patented wrist shot, and the way he conducted himself is something to be admired and emulated. He’s a great ambassador for the game. One of my favorite hockey moments is when he handed Ray Bourque the Stanley Cup when they won in 2001.

R: How about your favorite NHL team?

Roboute: Favorite NHL team is the San Jose Sharks. I bleed teal. There's nothing quite like a team that is born and grows in the midst of playoff disappointment. But one day….one day….

Gerry: I'd have to say, personally, my favourite NHL team would be ... what’s the guys with the cat again? yeah, but don't tell my family, 'cause they're all Philadelphia Flyers fans, and they'd take my hip if they knew. You know, the cat guys ... yeah, those ones. they've got that one guy, Robdonski, or Danksboy?

Chris: Maybe it’s just because of my following of Foligno, but there’s nothing better than that cannon at Nationwide in Columbus. As you can tell, I steer clear of franchises that are well-known and “common” for people to like…Pittsburgh, Chicago, you know the deal. Columbus is the exact opposite. They’ve got some work to do and they know that, but with the All-Star Game a few weeks back and a couple playoff appearances in the past few seasons, it seems that they’re finally making a name for themselves and I think the city knows that. Who doesn’t love an underdog?

Travis: Flyers all day! Best team in the NHL! We’ve got legendary goaltender CAHTAH HAHT to carry us through the regular season and Gritty’s blessings will be enough to get us to the cup next season. You might be wondering why I am a Flyers fan from Alberta and the simple answer is there is no explanation.

Richard: Gotta be the Vancouver Canucks for sure! I wasn’t around for the ‘94 cup run, but my Dad always spoke fondly of players like Linden and Bure. I have early memories of being shown clips of Bure flying with the puck on YouTube. The way he was just able to dance through the defense always blew me away. It also gave me some pointers on what NOT to do when challenging the puck carrier!

#A-Rye: ………………………………………………………………..

R: Uh-oh, seems like we’ve lost #A-Rye. Hopefully, his connection will be back up soon! Danny, how about you keep us rolling?

Danny: It’s gotta be the Caps for me. I grew up around DC and have been watching that team for years. First DC team in my lifetime to win a championship, and now that they’ve done it other teams are finding their curses broken too. I’m gonna miss Holtby though, hope Richard and company up in Vancouver take good care of him for us.

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2020, 12:49 AM by leafs1997.)

R: Do you like the Leafs? No reason, just curious.

Roboute: No comment.

Gerry: Oh yeah, I love me some maple leaves, oak leaves, they just look beautiful in the fall right before that winter air hits them and they disappear from my lawn, like my life has seemed to do in the flash of an eye. One minute you're lacing up for your first peewee hockey tournament, excited to get out there and make a name for yourself, the next you're at your retirement game on the big stage, everyone’s cheering for everything you've done yet you just want to do more, time flies like an arrow they say, quick and straight, hitting the target that is your inevitable journey into the unknown, and all you have in life is this rubber puck that says you put it in some mesh a thousand times, and you wish you could do it a thousand more, but next thing you know that final buzzer sounds and you know it's over, you tearfully get off the ice one last time after the standing ovation, and just like that it's done, you're driving home to see your loving family, and that's why I love leaves, Mr. R.

Travis: As much as the Leafs like the second round.

Richard: I’m a pretty big fan of all the Canadian NHL teams. One thing I will say about the Leafs, I think Auston Matthews should wait a few more years before he tries to grow that mustache out. He looks like a second-hand Zorro knockoff. Have you ever heard of Gunther? The Swedish singer? Google it.

Danny: I don’t really have strong feelings here. They’re a good team for sure though.

Chris: You know, there’s a joke that I remember about the Leafs…yeah, I can’t completely remember what it was. Something about a four and a one? Man, I’m really choking on this delivery, aren’t I?

R: It looks like #A-Rye hasn’t connected again yet. No worries, let’s keep going. Name one hobby of yours besides hockey.

Roboute: Well this might sound weird, but I have a fascination with flaming swords and big, large armor. Kind of a family tradition with my father being the Emperor and such.

Gerry: My hobby outside of hockey would be video games, I usually spend lots of time playing video games. I'm not a huge fan of the fork knifes, but I can tell you I'm much better than that Laine fella.

Travis: I am a big fan of Australian football. I always enjoy kicking around a footy even though Canada is the opposite of “down under.” I also play a lot of basketball and occasionally football, it really depends on my mood. I just really like playing sports to be honest even though I am not that good at sports that aren’t hockey

Richard: Yeah, I like to keep myself pretty active to make sure I’m staying in good shape. Hitting the Grouse Grind back home in Vancouver has got to be up there, for sure. If you haven’t heard of it before, the Grouse Grind is a 3km hike up around 2800 steps to the peak of Grouse Mountain. It really pushes you to your limit! Something a little more leisurely would be golf. I have a lot of fun when playing, but much like my game on the ice, there’s still lots of room for improvement.

#A-Rye: Oh hey, I’m back! Did you miss me? I’m glad you asked this! When I was younger, I began a foundation that is dear to my heart called ‘#A-Ryce Cake for almost everyone’ ... my goal is to feed almost every other person in the world with a rice cake. I believe I can end world hunger. (proceeds to share his screen on his Zoom call)

[Image: unknown.png]

R: Oh wow, that’s really cool! Umm, how about we take that down please? I’m not sure our network will appreciate the gadgets that kid has in his hands. Love the artwork though! Chris, you’re next!

Chris: Sure, I do a lot of adventuring outdoors in my free time, especially when I’m back home. There’s nothing better than waking up on a sunny day and stepping outside. I think we all get wrapped up in technology and constantly scrolling to see what’s happening around us, but hiking and exploring new places allows you to get some time to yourself when you need it the most.

Danny: Baseball! I’ve always loved the battle between pitcher and hitter, the luck that a slight breeze can be the difference between a walk off grand slam and a deep fly ball to end the game. It’s a team sport like no other, more often than not its really a dual between two men, one hurling the ball over ninety miles an hour with crazy movement, and the other just trying to hit it fair and make something happen. It’s a slower game, and a longer game than Hockey but I love it.

R: Well, we’re learning a lot about you guys! If all goes according to plan, you’ll all be drafted to the SHL around this time next season. Which SHL team would you like to be drafted to?

Travis: Let’s not look that far ahead, I am not there yet. I don’t really know, and I definitely don’t want to start burning bridges this early in my career. That being said I definitely have no objection to staying in Canada throughout my whole career.

Roboute: I'll gladly play for any team that needs me. I want to help and lead a team the best I can.

Gerry: Put me on any team that could use me, I've got a lot to prove, that this old man can still run with the best of them.

Richard: To be honest, I’m not thinking that far ahead right now. All of my energy is being focused into the Knights and being the best teammate, I can be. I’ll let my body of work speak for itself and take things as they come. For right now though, my main priority is keeping my stick on the ice and doing what I need to do coming into the upcoming season.

#A-Rye: I would love to play for my dad and my god fathers’ team in Calgary... Where I grew up and feel comfortable at.

Chris: My friends and family, without a doubt, would love for me to go back home to play for the Inferno. I don’t know though, being able to play in Tampa too would be nice. I love imagining being able to play near home, but I wouldn’t complain wherever I went. I’d just be grateful to have the chance to play on the big stage. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do, and I can’t wait for the day where I take the ice in front of those massive crowds.

Danny: Honestly, I haven’t given it much thought. My biggest hope is that I go to a team that gives me the time I need to develop properly. Some guys want to make the jump right away from the juniors to the big leagues but personally I just got done unpacking here in Kelowna and I’m hoping to stay for four or five years.

R: Well, I look forward to seeing if your wishes are fulfilled this time next season! You’ll be spending a lot of time on the road, travelling with the team. Who would you want to be bunking with?

Roboute: Everyone on the team has my respect right now. So, I’ll sleep wherever I need to be. Though I must apologize to anyone who attempts to wake me up before my alarm. Things will not be pretty so expect to dodge a few punches.

Gerry: Someone who wants to hit the early bird special with me at the Denny’s, or just walk at the park, I like to sleep early and that's ok!

Travis: I don’t really know any of the guys, but we’ll see, I guess. Maybe the other 3rd round pick, Richard seems cool. I need to ask if I can call him Rich or Dick though.

Richard: Richard, Ricky or Rich is fine, Travis! If I had to pick right now, I’d have to say #A-Rye for sure! Coming in as the youngest player in the history of the league is absolutely unreal. He definitely seems like a fun guy to be around, and he could probably use somebody around to keep him out of trouble! From the conversations we’ve had, he seems like someone I could really mesh well with while we’re on the grind.

#A-Rye: I love all my new teammates, they’re fucking awesome! But just a heads up to who ever I room with…they will also be rooming with @wereturantula. My dad and Esa assigned Maxime Bouchard to shadow me when ever were on the road.

Chris: I feel like I’ve gotten along pretty well with Cian. I’m sure he’ll be great with helping me improve every day, as he has that experience that I need to learn to play at my best. Establishing those close friendships along the way is what makes a good team great, and I think Cian’s the type of guy that you can share a good laugh even in the toughest of times.

Danny: I hope they bunk me with Patrik Money, that dudes a legend around here and as a left winger myself I’m hoping he’ll be willing to teach me a thing or two. Worst case scenario maybe some juju wipes off on me and winds up taking my game up to the next level. I’ll be happy wherever I end up though, worst case scenario the only thing we have to talk about is Hockey… and I could go on and on about that!

R: Hmm, only 1 of the Quadruplets were mentioned there. I’ll be sure to take it up with them the next time we speak. They really need to let the rookies know they’re on their side! What’s one skill you will work on this season?

Travis: My skating. I have terrible balance, which I really need to work on. I will definitely start by improving my skating as it is an important part of hockey, especially at this level.

Roboute: I want to improve in my ability to be a big playmaker. I want to also work on goal scoring, but you need both skills to be a reliable player.

Gerry: Learning to love again.

#A-Rye: Nothing in particular, I’m just going to live in the GYM until I’m forced to go home due to parole.

Chris: I’d love to get better with working with the puck. I’ve put a lot of work into shooting and finishing but getting to that point is something that an elite player needs to be, well, elite. I think if I can work on keeping possession and keeping the tape on the puck, I think I could be fairly dangerous in the future.

Richard: You know, as much as I want to be launching bombs from the blue line, racking up goals and maybe taking the puck for a little skate; I understand that it needs to be defense first. I want to specifically target my defensive positioning and improve my ability to read the play defensively. Being someone that my teammates can rely on is important to me, I don’t want to let them down by being irresponsible in my own yard.

Danny: There’s a lot for a rookie like me to work on but scoring of course will be a big one. I just need to get sharper on my puck movements and stop hitting the pipes if not missing entirely and I think I’ll be in good shape. I’m not the tallest guy around but I’m still big enough to deliver a hit, so checking and making clean hits will be another area I want to focus on.

R: I’m sure there’ll be great improvement across the board this season, considering how youthful the Knights’ lineup will be! Well, that concludes our rapid-fire segment. I hear we have some Kelowna management ready to join us via Zoom call. Let’s hope their internet connection is better than #A-Rye’s! I’m sure you guys have been getting acquainted with the Knights’ co-GM, Naosu, and Coach, Teddy Park. Let’s have a little chat with them, welcome!

Naosu: Thanks for having us! Hello everyone, hope R’s been taking care of you!

Teddy: Hey everyone, how’s it going? Staying out of trouble I hope?

R: Glad you guys could join us! Let’s get right into it. Rookies, you guys can take a little break. So, Naosu, what were the Knights’ needs going into the draft?

Naosu: We had needs in every role except goalie. Our plan was to pick best players available and fill our needs as we went through the draft.

R: Hmm, are you happy with your draft haul? Were those needs satisfied?

Naosu: I'm extremely happy with the players we drafted. We had a lot of picks and all our players have been great so far. We were able to fill our roster with all actives and won't require much in the following draft.

R: That’s good to hear! How about you, Teddy? Any thoughts on the new rookies joining your squad?

Teddy: I’m excited for all the rooks. We’ve got a really nice mix of new guys and league legends with a sprinkling of guys management knows outside the league. They’ve got a high bar to meet though just because I leave the rookies from last season so much. But I really am more excited for this season’s class and my last season in KEL than I have been so far on this team.

R: Wow, that says a lot about KEL’s budding stars. How do you these rookies will mesh with the existing players on the Knights?

Teddy: I like the enthusiasm of our rookies, they’ve already been pumping out media and earning phenomenally. They all seem to have immediately embraced the SHL and the activity in the LR has skyrocketed since the rooks joined. We’re ready to get the season started!

R: I can’t wait either! As the Coach, how are you looking to allocate ice time this season? Most of your players from last season are still around plus you’ve got 7 new rookies joining you. Sounds like there might not be enough ice time to go around!

Teddy: Well, we have a roster of 22 active players so setting lines is going to be a tall task getting everyone involved, but that’s a good problem to have and bodes well for the next few seasons in KEL. We’ll keep players rotating, hopefully that’ll keep the competitiveness going!

R: Oh, that’ll be interesting to keep an eye on! Naosu, are there any more trades or signings that we can look forward to before the new season commences?

Naosu: We won't have any more trades or signings until the regular season starts, but there's a chance we do something at the deadline.

R: Okay, I’m sure fans wanted to know! While we have you here, how about sharing some juicy Front Office info with us? Maybe how you went about the draft or a trade that you pulled off? Anything you think is interesting!

Naosu: Heading into the draft we picked out some early targets and I'm pleased to say we got the players we wanted with 5, 12, and 14 overall. We didn't plan beyond that as it gets too chaotic trying to predict. We were initially planning to use our picks at 37 and 38 but miscounted our roster so we made the trade with Newfoundland involving a lot of picks. I was happy to trade up to 31 get a bit of value back with their S60 3rd so I think both teams benefitted. We kept 62 to draft Christopher Ford and then as it was getting closer noticed the goalie Rusell Rattie was online. We traded for 52 with Quebec and took Ford, wanting to grab Rattie at 62. Colorado noticed as well and promptly took him at 53.

R: Hmm, that’s interesting! You should keep coming on here, I’m sure the fans would love to get such inside info! Before we let you two go and continue on with the rookies, Vlastislav messaged me earlier to ask Teddy a question. Teddy, why is Vlastislav your favorite Quadruplet?

Teddy: Well, Malik is my favorite because of his off-ice involvement. Vlastislav is one of those new guys that jumped off the deep end into all things SHL and it’s great to see his continued involvement around the league. All of the Quadruplets are great to have in the LR with their banter/ just general hanging out and talking to them. But from that group Vlastislav has led the charge in league involvement.

R: I’m sure Vlastislav is smiling right now, somewhere. Well, thanks again for joining us!

Naosu: No problem, have fun with these guys!

Teddy: My pleasure, R. When are you done with these guys by the way? I’ve got skating drills set up and ready to go!

R: Oh wow, I’ll have them out of here soon! Thanks again! Now guys, let’s step back a bit and delve into your experience pre-draft. How many teams were you contacted by? Did you have any idea where you might end up? I hear the Knights took in one of their rookie-turned-sophomores, Vlastislav Malik, as a scout for this draft recently, did you interact with him at all? Any suggestions for him? Around what pick did you see yourself going in the draft? Any words of advice for the upcoming class as they will soon prepare to go through the same process? How did it feel to be drafted by the Knights? Let’s start off with you, #A-Rye. And then, everyone else feel free to jump in!

#A-Rye: …………………..

R: Oh no, here we go again. Travis, take it away.

Travis: I was contacted by almost every team and only one or two didn’t reach out **cough** Kraken **cough.** It was very confusing and it was a lot of information to take in, but there were a few teams that I liked more than the others. I had actually hoped to end up here because my conversation with Vlastislav was the most comfortable conversation I had. While most other teams were really putting me on the spot and asking me a lot of questions, our chat was very laid back.

Roboute: I was talked to by 9 of the 12 teams with some mentioning I wouldn't make it past the second round. I never got to talk to Malik so I guess all I can say is he should talk to more people. I was expecting a late round two or early round three picked. I was shocked to be picked up so early in the second round. The big thing in the pre draft is to be active and show that you want to talk and get to know both teams and fellow players. It feels great being drafted by the Knights. I'm glad they decided to take a chance with me.

Gerry: I was contacted by 6 teams, so half, or was it 7? It feels like ages ago. I had a feeling I would wind up on the Kelowna Knights or the Maine Timber, they were the two teams that showed the most interest in me. So, I did have a good feeling it would be between those two teams, and I'm glad I wound up here. Honestly, to rookies coming into the draft, just be yourself, have fun with it and you'll go somewhere great.

Richard: Yeah, the draft was a really hectic time for me, for sure! I came in rather late, and I had lots of catching up to do to make sure I was prepared. Since I came in as basically a nobody, I had to put some work in right out of the gate to get my name in the conversation. I wanted to show the scouts and GMs that I was willing to work hard and perform well. That was really the only thing I had going for me at the very beginning there, my body of work. I spoke with seven or eight teams before the draft. There were a lot of names to remember! I wanted to show the real LaFleur every time I spoke with a representative from another team. I tried my best not to just say the same things, I really wanted my personality and charisma to make an appearance. Not just saying what I thought they wanted to hear! I had several promising conversations, but up until I got picked, I had no idea who was going to pull the trigger. Vlastislav was one of the scouts that reached out to me, and I’d say he represented the Knights very well. You could tell he was passionate about the team, and that passion was certainly infectious! If I could talk to the guys coming up to the draft in the next couple of years, I’d tell them to just relax and enjoy the moment. It may be stressful and hectic at times, but it’s also one of the most exciting times of your lives. Don’t forget about your family! It’s an absolute privilege to be drafted by the Knights. I’m hoping to develop under their guidance and make a lasting impression here in Kelowna.

Chris: From the start, I took one look at the Knights and I knew they were the one. Thankfully, they were the group that reached out to me and showed the most interest in me, particularly Malik. He knew I had promise and wanted nothing more than to give me a shot, and I’ll never forget that. I think I was picked around where I was thinking I would be, but that’s okay. Working from the bottom to the top is something I love to do, as it gives me motivation to prove that I’m worthy of being here and I deserved the spot I have now. Now I just have to keep my mouth shut and prove it on the ice, hopefully return the favor for the team giving me this chance. I think that hearing my name called was great but knowing that I would be getting my first chance in the spotlight with the Knights was purely unimaginable. I trust them to lead me in the right direction and I hope to provide what they’re hoping for along the way. For those newcomers that will soon be in my shoes, enjoy it. Life goes so quickly, and this experience is something you should be proud of. Not everyone gets the opportunity to play at this level, so know that your work will soon pay off and you too will have your moment to shine. But make sure that you earn that moment every day as if you won’t get another shot.

Danny: I got scouted by a good dozen teams or so. I’ll be honest I hadn’t given many teams a ton of thought. The knights were actually the first season to scout me, which was cool but by the time the draft came around my impression of them wasn’t super fresh in my mind anymore. I spent the tail end of last season with the Falcons, and  they were a great group who helped me learn my way around here, although from the lack of contact I received from them over the off season it seemed unlikely they would be grabbing me either. I actually had conversations with multiple scouts from Anchorage, and they indicated they thought I was worth one of their 2nd round picks, so I had a good idea I would get picked up before 22nd at the latest. I had penciled myself in as the 19th overall pick and ended up going 20th to the Knights so I wasn’t too far off! I’m fitting right in and loving it here though, and as I said above, I hope I can stick around for a few seasons to come.

R: Hmm, I’ll be sure to pass along the suggestions to Vlastislav the next time he’s here. The Knights are in the midst of a re-build as it’s become clear this past season. I know some players would rather join a LR that’s already winning games, how do you feel coming into this situation? Chris, get the ball rolling for us this time.

Chris: I think it’s great. Having that chance to see what us young guys can do; I don’t think there’s a guy speaking here that would say they hate the thought of making a statement despite our youth. Every team has to do it, but don’t think that we won’t go easily. We hope to give everything we’ve got and win it all. Nothing is guaranteed here, we all know that.

R: #A-Rye isn’t back yet, let’s just keep it going. The internet can be really annoying nowadays! Travis, go ahead.

Travis: It feels good to be a part of a team with something to do. I would never want to be drafted to the perfect team as I probably wouldn’t get much ice time. I have something to prove just like this team, and I think a lot of rookies feel the same way. People should take note of us, though, I think we have a good chance at becoming serious contenders as we improve throughout the season.

Roboute: I think this is a great opportunity to learn and grow as players. If we walk in and are always winning, then we can become relaxed and lose the drive to be better players. I'm excited to see what all us rookies can do for the team. Seems like everyone is itching to prove themselves so I hope we can come in and help the Knights win some games.

Gerry: It shows more to the team than it does to me that they picked me out of all the other players they could have taken to get this ball rolling. We've got great guys in the locker room and obviously if the GMs have this kind of faith in their picks to make this team a contender in the next couple seasons, who are we to doubt that? we'll get this team right back up there real soon.

Richard: Yeah, I think Chris said it pretty well there. We’re young and hungry to prove ourselves. I’m happy to be a part of the bricks in building a stronger foundation. It provides us rookies with a perfect opportunity to come in and make a difference right away. I’d go so far as to say it’s almost a blessing in disguise. Everyone assumes we’re rebuilding and will almost write us off. Time will tell if underestimating us was a mistake!

Danny: When you join a team that’s already championship caliber, you become a part of its history. When you join a team and play a role in MAKING it a championship caliber team, well then, your making history. I know which I’d rather do. Plus, who doesn’t love an underdog? Every year it seems there’s a team that’s playing with house money because no one thought they would make it as far as it did, and when they end up playing against the giants and manage to cut through them it always turns into this whole team effort and comes with a crazy story of how they were able to do it. I’ll take a scrappy young team with something to prove than the giants any day of the week.

R: That’s great to hear! Kelowna has a great end to their previous campaign with that unexpected Game 7 victory and then losing to the eventual Four Star Cup winners, however disappointing that may have been. With you guys getting a full season of experience, I’m sure they’ll be on the rise! Now, teams around the league will be prepping for their training camps right about now. These camps serve a dual purpose, to get players in shape, but also to increase team chemistry. What’s the worst team-building exercise you’ve been a part of? Let’s say you’re in charge, suggest something that will boost team morale! This is your chance to display your creativity! Gerry, take it away!

Gerry: I hated having to run with a stupid egg on a spoon, it's not hard to keep your dang hangs steady, Jeremy! sorry, sorry, flashbacks to some worse times. Let's just get out there after training camp is done and grab a beer fellas, end of the day if you can't relax with the guys you just worked hard with, what kind of chemistry do you really have?

Chris: I think one of the toughest ones I’ve been a part of is when we had to carry every player, one at a time, across dozens of feet as we crawled from end to end. Of course, there’s a lot of strength required to be able to go the distance, but also, it’s a trust exercise, literally telling your teammates that you have their back. I guess it’s meant to imply that you’re carrying the weight and the feeling of intensity that you have when someone starts to give up? I don’t know, maybe I’m just thinking too much into it, but it wasn’t easy. As hard as it was though, I really don’t know how people make these exercises, so I have no idea what I’d be doing to encourage strength training or physical exercise. In terms of chemistry though, maybe give each player a few hours to create plans for the team to show them who they are off the ice so that the players can get a feel for each player when they’re on it. I have to give credit to the people that come up with these ideas though, that’s a lot of brain work.

#A-Rye: This one time…..they…..then…..crehfk-.

R: You’ve got to appreciate #A-Rye’s determination. He keeps coming back even with that troublesome internet. Travis, keep us moving please.

Travis: A good old-fashioned scrimmage is always a fun way to motivate the team and can also get the lines used to playing with each other. Not only that, but it can also be useful as it helps show what the issues with the team are on the ice. Plus, it is always fun and exciting.

Roboute: The worst one was doing laps around the rink all holding hands and all still in full gear. Let’s not do that one again. As far as some morale boosting activities, I think we should all go shoot some guns, maybe we even bust out some airsoft or paintball guns and fight against each other. It would help our teamwork and give us some good exercise as well. Hopefully, we don't end up finding the scaredy cat of the team this way.

Richard: I wouldn’t say it was all entirely bad, but we did a drill where: 5 players broke out of their own zone 5 on 0. They passed a puck back and forth to each other while skating. Once they hit the opposing blueline, a group of 5 that was waiting at that opposing blueline, broke out 5 on 0 the opposite direction with the intention of scoring. The 5 that had just skated to the blueline had to turn around and play defense. It was a really effective drill for getting your legs moving and getting your mind thinking about assignments and proper positioning. If I had to come up with something to boost morale, I’d have to go with a shootout copycat drill. One guy does a move, and everyone has to copy it. Get the competitiveness going a little bit and letting everyone have some fun at the same time.

Danny: I’ve never been a fan of the forced “okay now everyone sit in a circle so we can introduce ourselves or whatever” We’ve got a long season ahead and we’ll all have plenty of time to get to know one another. I say we just get in our lines and start off by worrying about line chemistry on the ice. I want to learn my center and opposite wings habits, the tells they have when they are ready to make a move and want the puck, or when they are in over their head and need an out. I wanna bond with these guys over our blood, sweat, and tears.

R: Oh wow, hopefully you guys will try to get some of those ideas implemented with the Knights! That’d be great fun! Now, the Knights may be in a re-build, but like I mentioned, they pulled off a Round 1 Game 7 upset and lost to the eventual Four Star Cup Winners, the Vancouver Whalers, in last season’s playoffs. With a solid crop of rookies last season, 4 of whom were recently drafted to the SHL in the 1st round, and such a talented group such as yourselves, there WILL be pressure on you to perform and help bring the Knights to new heights. How do you think you’ll handle it? Do you think the Knights will improve this season? Who do you think will lead the team this season? Danny, get us started!

Danny: This seasons gonna be huge for us. I don’t know if we win the cup this season, or next but it’s coming. I think we’ve got what it takes to improve over our records from last season if nothing else. I think Teddy Parks been an active guy in the clubhouse and there’s leadership potential there for sure, but I can’t say for sure who’s going to be the leader. Unless you meant who’s going to lead in goal scoring among the rookies. What’s that? That is what you meant? Oh, yeah that’s going to be me for sure.

Gerry: Just coming out of the draft, I can't say for sure who would lead us this season, I can say for sure that I’m excited to come into this locker room and try my hardest to get us there, I'd say 2 seasons and we're contending again, mark it.

Chris: When you get that added pressure, the only thing you can do is use it to add fuel to the fire. It shows that every one of us has a standard that we need to live up to and that none of us can coast at any point of the season. We’ve only got so much time to prove to the pros that we’ve got what it takes, so there’s no time to waste while we’re here. I think if we all play with that attitude, we’ll be a really good team. We just can’t let up, and we all have a part to play. That’s why I think that none of us specifically should be tasked with leading the group, because I really think that’s all of us. If I’m sitting back, we’re going to struggle as a group, and I would hope that the rest of the guys would feel the same way.

R: #A-Rye is still away, keep us going Travis.

Travis: Of course, I am very excited. I am probably putting the most pressure upon myself and I really want to help the team bring home the Four Star Cup. I know we will get it done either this year or next year if we continue on the same trajectory.

Roboute: Without a doubt the Knights will improve this year. From everything that has been said already it's easy to see all the rookies have a fire under our butt to do the best we can. So, the pressure is nice and I'm sure we will be able to deal with it. I think we have some good candidates for future leaders in the group but especially this first season I think many of us will be biting at the bit to learn from our coaches and older players.

Richard: Yeah, I think that just proves that the Knights have a great eye for young talent, and the results of the run last year further solidifies their ability in developing that talent. I’m going to focus on the task at hand and take things day by day. With a group like ours, I think I speak for all the guys up here when I say we have an immense expectation of ourselves. I’m very eager to get out there and represent the Knights to the best of my ability.

R: I think everyone’s very excited, including the fans! Hopefully you can meet their expectations this season and make a solid playoff run. Well, that’s all the time we have for today! It’s been an absolute pleasure having you youngsters join me here. I’m sure we’ll catch up again once the season is underway! Oh, before I forget, Vlastislav Malik asked me if any of you are good passers. Seems like he’s having trouble with his setup man. Sounds like an opening for one of you, check in with him! Don’t forget to tune in to games this season, folks! The Knights are going to be a force to be reckoned with! I’m Reporter R and this was “Hit the Bench”. Be good to each other out there!

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

Knights Knights LET'S GOOOOOO

Thanks for taking the time to interview us! Knights going to do big things this year!

[Image: never_in_doubt.png]

1 note, my son #A-Rye meant he likes hydrococoa in his off time. (Hot chocolate)  Undecided

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

The amount of work and planning this took is no small feat, absolutely awesome. And great job everyone. Knights Knights Knights
(This post was last modified: 11-27-2020, 01:54 AM by Roamus.)

That makes me proud to be a knight ! Great interview gang ! Knights

[Image: QhAQn2i.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: yIvjn4j.png]

Excellent work guys!
Knights

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]