Create Account

S57 mPT #1 - Offseason Moves
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 01:25 AM by hotdog.)

For this mPT, focus on one (or more) offseason move(s) that stood out to you - which team did something great over the offseason? This could be a trade, a signing, a re-signing, a draft pick, a call up - anything at all that took place over the offseason. Why is this a great move and how will it pay off for that team down the line?
25 words minimum!
You will receive 1 TPE for fulfilling all requirements; several users who go above and beyond will be selected as participation+ members and receive an additional 1 TPE.
This PT will close Sunday, December 6th at 11:59pm ET.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

This PT is for SHL players and send downs only; it is not for SMJHL Rookies.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

The offseason move that stands out to me is the Hamilton Steelhawks calling up the future of their franchise, Rotticus Scott. This kid is built different, and will kill it in the SHL.

[Image: rotti.gif]

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 11:10 PM by hockeyiscool.)

This offseason was one that was full of the surprises and can be described as a defensive shuffle. 

The first move of the off-season was the Trade by the Toronto North Stars for Adam Barron, this was a "pro-gamer move". Not only does this move help sure up a hole in the Toronto Defense from the loss of Jack Kanoff. It's a 500+ TPE upgrade. The brilliance in this move is that this fast tracks the window of Toronto being a contender in the Great Lakes. It also unites leaders in the S50 class in TPE matching Bobby Lane and Adam Barron together.

taking a small break from the in SHL defensemen talk to talk about a trade that flew under the radar this off-season. It's the trade LAP made with Edmonton netting Edmonton both GOD McZehrl and the S57 EDM 1st Round (15 OA) back for the retiring corpse of Jon Toner. What happened immediately was comical for me.  Edmonton immediately drops GOD McZehrl as a clear Cap Dump trade. The big thing in this trade isn't either of the players that were involved in the trade, but the acquisition of Rude Sniff (Dude) with the 15 OA pick. This guy has quite a history in the league and is in a position to be a hall of famer. He was someone who was in discussion of going 1 OA in the draft. the fact that he was available at 15 OA is criminal and he has the potential to be an elite duo with S55- Axel Foley.

The next move of the off-season that really caught my eye was the Free Agent acquisition of  Zlatan Ibrahimovic Jr. by the Buffalo Stampede. This couldn't have come at a better time for the Stampede. After Poopity Scoop randomly ghosted the SHL; Buffalo was desperate to find someone to fill Scoops shoes at defense. They lucked out with Ibrahimovic Jr. coming to Buffalo. This not only is an ideal replacement but has the potential for Buffalo to have an insane winning core in the next 4-10 seasons...Buffalo keeps finding themselves stepping in poo and coming out smelling like a rose. With these  two top tier defensemen (Barron and ibrahimaic Jr.) leaving Winnipeg asks what's driving them away...

This fourth move I think was the most important move to happen during the offseason in landing this player vs the teams results for the regular season. This move would be Free Agent Rex Kirkby signing with Atlanta. The reason why I think Kirkby to Atlanta was the most major move of this off-season is the results of the SHL games that happen when Kirkby is in the line up vs when he isn't. In the games that Kirkby was serving a suspension Atlanta Inferno went 1-3 losing to Tampa Bay as one of their losses. With Kirkby in the line-up Atlanta makes the playoffs as the second seed in the Atlantic, however without Kirkby I could see Atlanta missing the play-offs altogether. 

The last major defensive shift this offseason was the Inactive Free Agent acquisition of Poopity Scoop in Los Angeles. This move cements LAP being a play-off team, even though they are in a really weak Western Conference. I think they could make the playoffs without Poopity Scoop.

This is my perspective of the defensive shuffle.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020, 05:49 PM by sve7en.)

Adam Barron going to the Toronto North Stars was the biggest move of the offseason, both in player impact and in what it means to the league. Toronto being right with the other 3 teams in the Great Lakes has curious implications for the ongoing playoff format discussion.

48 words

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

A move that stands out to me was my team trading the first overall pick of the simulation hockey League entry draft for many picks in the future. I think this was a great move as we get more quality players that will help space out our callups/salary cap

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]

The single best move of the offseason was the Atlanta Inferno not getting rid of Stan Q Next and not trading him. That is the sign of a genius GM and a genius plan to hang on to a high quality guy and a great LR person.

I think that the San Francisco draft this season was excellent because it not only brought in a future defensive star but also several extremely promising forward prospects. As a relatively new GM who was thrust into a rebuild, it feels good to bring in new players and users who are able to bring new life not only to the locker room but to the rebuild itself.

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

Toronto made a big play to pick up Adam Barron in a trade with WPG, giving up multiple assets for 1 player. It the type of bold move to let the rest of the league know they mean business and are ready to compete now.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

I believe that the Newfoundland Berserkers had a fantastic draft. They added in some great rookies that have made a fantastic impression in the locker room over the past week. This is a group that I believe can step in and help give this team that push to make their 3rd consecutive berth in the Four Star Cup Finals.

WC: 59

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: YOSHI.png?ex=65f214ee&is=65df9fee&hm=80f...e73badf86&]

The offseason move that stood out for me was NOLA's draft. They drafted 3 of the Kelowna Knights' "Quadruplets" as well as Jon St. Ark with their 4 1st round picks. There is definitely some risk putting multiple high picks into the "Quadruplets" (putting too many eggs in one basket, so to speak), but the reward is potentially sky high. The long term implications are yet to be determined of course, but with these picks at #4, #10, #12, #18, NOLA has secured their potential future franchise winger, goalie, center, AND defenseman. Consider the fact that St. Ark is a #1 pick-worthy prospect that only fell due to teams' positional needs and that is one SOLID draft.

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

One move that stands out to me was the San Francisco Pride choosing to select two players in the draft from the Quebec City Citadelles, myself being one of them! I love my teammates on QCC, so I'm happy to end up on the same team as one of them.

[Image: petrov.png]
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2020, 02:49 AM by JamesT.)

Code:
For this mPT, focus on one (or more) offseason move(s) that stood out to you - which team did something great over the offseason? This could be a trade, a signing, a re-signing, a draft pick, a call up - anything at all that took place over the offseason. Why is this a great move and how will it pay off for that team down the line?

The Edmonton  Blizzard had a great off-season by bolstering our blue line by drafting Rude Sniff and calling up the SMJHL S56 defensemen of the year Axel Foley. Our defense is regarded one of our weak points and we addressed that this off-season and we are now one of the favourites to be the best team in the West.

(59 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

The Atlanta Inferno had a great offseason, bringing in multiple prospects through the draft including future superstar and 2k TPE player Pablo Salvatici. They also signed Rex Kirkby who's ok as well I guess.

[Image: Jepox.gif]

One of the best moves by far this offseason was the Baltimore Platoon re signing Karl Krashwagen. Krash is a high potential prospect that they have been grooming and was mere days away from free agency. Teetering on his penultimate season they managed to sign him into a team friendly 3 season, 12 million deal, leaving some room to work out contracts for some other promising youth or rookies deserving the extra cash.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

For Tampa Bay, the fact that they basically traded all their useable picks definitely said a lot about where the team is at this point. They ended up getting a great return for the picks they traded, and they are continuing to gear up to their utter domination of the Atlantic Division in a few seasons.

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]