Create Account

S57 PT #4 - Rivalry Week

I think the biggest rival of my team (the Hamilton Steelhawks) is the Hamilton Cheathawks. There has always been this big struggle of whether cheating is the move or not. The whole reason we even switched from STHS to FHM6 is because the cheathawks overthrew the steelhawks and made everyone set their passing to 40 through mass coordinated redistributions. The cheathawks may have won the cup that season but there will forever be an asterisk placed upon it, because was it really the steelhawks' win? Last season was all Steelhawks baby. No cheating to be seen, the cheathawks were gone. But now, this season, Rotticus Scott, has an insane amount of points as a rookie. Is it possible the cheathawks are back? Very interesting power struggle going on within the locker room. To cheat or not to cheat that is the question. And having the commissioner on the team? Who's going to punish us if the cheathawks come back to town? Very interesting to see how this plays out in the future.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

The biggest rivals of the Quebec City Citadelles is obviously the Nevada Battleborn. This is because both teams came into the league at the same time, so there has always been a competition (and probably always will be) for which team can have the most success. In their inaugural seasons the Quebec City Citadelles started out hotter, largely due to contributions from SMJHL veteran Alexander Roach. They ended up finishing that season with 35 points, compared to Nevada's 25, and also made it further in the playoffs. The next season both teams got better since most of their players were rookies, but due to Nevada not really losing anyone and Quebec City losing Roach, Nevada did better in their sophomore season with 60 points to Quebec City's 50, and had a much deeper run too. This season it's looking like Quebec City will be the stronger team, as they are currently sitting on top of the league with 66 points in 41 games, compared to Nevada's 42 points in 43 games. It will remain to be seen though how each team does in the playoffs.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

One of the oldest and most consistent rivalries in the SMJHL, and perhaps the whole SHL, has been the St. Louis Scarecrows and the Detroit Falcons. Both have long histories with bright lights of success, and low points of struggle. Having been a member of the St. Louis Scarecrows with all three of my players, and having experiences parts of three different decades of the rivalry myself, I can comfortably say that the Scarecrows and the shitbirds have the intriguing tendency to be strong contenders or full rebuilders at the same time, in most seasons. The last couple of years have been more retooling/rebuilding seasons for both teams, and both have had their high points in the past. Between the stellar S53 Detroit squad that in in discussions for most dominant SMJHL squad of all time, contrasted by the triple championship of the S46, S47, and S48 Scarecrows. St. Louis also boasts the most winning GM in SMJHL history with TML99, and a debatable 2nd place in the All-time list would be NotoriousTig, while a couple of other contenders have claims to 2nd on the all-time list I would argue Tig has the 2nd-best resume in his long tenure with the Falcons. No matter where you find one of the teams in the standings, the other is sure to be around, and the games are always lively and tense.

[Image: antonescu.png]
[Image: BKGrppM.png]
Thank you to Ham and Sulo for the sigs!
Scarecrows Chiefs Renegades Dragons Stampede Panthers norway
Scarecrows Specters Switzerland
Scarecrows pride Switzerland
  Armada pride Ireland

For me, as someone that's just starting their SHL career, I don't have much to go off of other than my short term history with the Renegades. Framing it that way, I'd say that the Chicago Syndicate are our biggest rivals.

Last season was my first one with the big club, and we had several other rookies as well. We made the playoffs and topped our division as a dark horse young team, only to be matched against the Syndicate, a powerhouse of the Great Lakes Division. They unceremoniously executed us in a 4-0 sweep, leaving no breathing room for our scrappy young cinderella story. So that sucked a lot. Beyond the end of last season they've continued to be a brutal team to play against, it's always a battle to stay in games with them.

I also think that their branding is similar to ours, with a themed greyscale face featuring prominently in both of our jerseys. That irks me, because their... mob guy? Is clearly just a worse and less interesting version of our very scary cowboy.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]

In my opinion, one of the biggest rivals of the Anaheim Outlaws, according to recent history, is the Quebec City Citadelles. It started back in S55, when the Outlaws were the highest-seeded team to play in the first round of the playoffs and they were matched up agains the Quebec City team and it was supposed to be a formality, but that's not what happened in that matchup. Quebec City ended up winning in six matches, ending the Outlaws's Four Star Cup hopes at the same time, when some thought the Outlaws had a chance to win it all. Anaheim didn't forget that early playoff exit. This season, the situation is much different for the Quebec City Citadelles as they are one of the best teams in the league. Anaheim has recently made waves by acquiring Niccolo Livius from Newfoundland at the trade deadline, reaffirming their desire to win the coveted Four Star Cup this season. Quebec City will undeniably stand in their way and it will be time to avenge the S55 loss.

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2020, 05:17 PM by mastersheep.)

I would have to say our biggest rival is currently the New England Wolfpack based on current and old history. While Tampa Bay was our closest and in-state rival in the past, their roster has completely turned over and most of the old guard is gone and I just genuinely like quite a few of them. We gained a few of their former members during their purge as well so we’re just too friendly in my opinion. Also we’ve moved on to Baltimore and now New England is just that much closer. Not only that, but we track along with New England pretty well in general. We’re usually good when they are and bad when they are with some overlap. This was especially true in the STHS days, but with FHM it’s a whole different ballgame. Recently, there have been a few dramatic outbursts from a couple of their members directed at our team so this fuels the rivalry even further. The S60s will be great as the Atlantic turns into a bloodbath between these two teams (and Tampa) and I can’t wait.

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

As a relatively new team in the SMJHL, it's hard to find a rival so quickly. You don't want to force one because it doesn't come of as organic and if it doesn't reflect on the ice it just comes of as fake. You need to let it develop. The play on the ice will quickly show you who your rival is going to be. Here in Nevada, what made it easier is that we entered the league with another team so there was a natural rivalry to be had. Lucky for us, it translated on the ice.

Since Day 1, we in Nevada have been in direct competition with our fellow expansion club, Quebec. Everything we accomplish and they accomplish is immediately compared to each other. We're battling for who does what first and battling to find success first. In the first season it was clear we were ahead of them, but things changed in the off-season. Quebec just went super saiyan and are now crushing the SMJHL like the Berserkers and Kraken before them. They've taken the lead in success right now, but in the playoffs they know we'll be gunning for them. We can't let them get to that Four Star Cup first. Not on my watch.

(210 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
27-7-1
Regular Season - [G 4] [A 8] [Pts 12] [+/- +24] [PIM 20] [Hits 18] [SB 74]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

As a member of the Calgary Dragons it is quite obvious who are biggest rival has been pretty much since the start of the leagues existence and that is the Edmonton Blizzard. With both teams playing their games in the close proximity within the province of Alberta and being in the same division there naturally would be a long brewing rivalry. What makes things interesting too is that both the Blizzard and the Dragons have been some of the most successful franchises in the western conference throughout the history of the SHL. In recent seasons the Dragons and Blizzard have also been battling it out for the title of wester conference champs during the regular season and even renewed their rivalry in the second round of the season fifty six playoffs. It is also clear that players from each team really do not like each other and will do whatever it takes to come out on top victorious against the other.

[Image: apSD6uj.gif]
[Image: leafsftw1967.gif] 

Malamutes  Stars Malamutes  Stars

Right now I would say the Barracuda are the biggest rival to the Platoon. We are both at a similar spot in the league, that being dead last in the division. Our teams are very young and should be set up well for the future. Many seasons of tanking and struggling might soon pay off. The two teams shall rise together and might be the new Buffalo and Hamilton. Those two have been going back and forth for seasons just like the Platoon and Barracuda, granted in the other direction.  The fight at the bottom is just as intense as the fight at the top, if not more. I could certainly see a player rivalry in Daniil Nikiforov and Matthew Forrester. Both are up and coming centers and are likely the future number one for their team. Just a few more seasons and these two teams should be fighting each other for the top spot in the league. Or not because the teams above have some voodoo.

Code:
167 words

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]

The Buffalo Stampede's biggest rival is obviously the Hamilton Steelhawks. Not only are these two teams divisional rivals, which leads to them seeing way more of the other team than they would care for, but they have also met quite a few times in the playoffs, which is an easy way to jump start a rivalry. It helps that both of these two teams have been the top dogs in the league for quite a few seasons, having won three cups each over the last ten seasons, with the most recent matchup being a cup finals duel in season 56 (thanks FHM playoff formatting). The best parts of this rivalry is how much both teams get into it, and how it has no intentions of slowing down anytime soon, as both Hamilton and Buffalo look primed to be dominant forces in the Great Lakes division for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised to see these two powerhouses trade cups back and forth for a few seasons, while the rest of the league just sits back, sighs, and wonder when it is gonna be their turn to try and win a cup.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

As a Calgary Dragon it sure is easy to hate on Edmonton. I personally like the organisation and think there is some great dudes over there. But the moment you put on a Dragons jersey you just want to beat the Blizzard. That is because the Blizzard are such a great team in this league and have had a strong history of being great. Beating them isn't just beating up on your weaker little brother. It is like beating a great friend in a game you are both strong at. You know they are trying their hardest and you are as well. Beating them feels so great, that small moment of victory, the dopamine burst rewarded for the effort given. They beat you just as many times and you are never going to give up trying to get better in hopes of besting them. It feels good to beat any team in the league but a victory over Edmonton with their rich history of beating us in important games feels best. Hopefully I can spend my career tallying up wins against the Edmonton Blizzard.

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

In recent seasons, the Carolina Kraken and Newfoundland Berserkers franchises have been battling at the top of the SMJHL Eastern Conference standings with the teams going back and forth holding the top spot. The two teams have battled in the playoffs as well with both teams also winning cups in the last three seasons, the Kraken in S54 and Bersekers in S55. This rivalry on the ice was pretty fierce and always produced quality games. Both teams had to go through each other in their respective Four Star Cup Championship runs. The funny part is that both of these teams are rebuilding a bit and are fighting in the middle of the Eastern Conference standings now instead of at the top where they have been for the last three seasons. It will be interesting if the S53 to S55 rivalry between these two teams sticks since they are both building back similarily or if one team will blow past the other battling the likes of the Citadelles or Timber who both seem to be the teams to beat now with Detroit looking good for the next few seasons too. The Eastern Conference of the SMJHL is going to be fun to watch.

Code:
200 Words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie

Sami Owens - S36-S52
S38 IIHF Bronze - Canada
S39 IIHF Gold - Canada
S42 IIHF Silver - Canada
S51 Challenge Cup Champion - HAM

Liam Slate - S54-Present
S53 WJC Bronze - British Isles
S54 WJC Silver - British Isles
S55 Four Star Cup Champion - Newfoundland Berserkers
S57 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S58 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S60 IIHF Silver - Great Britain
S61 IIIHF Gold - Great Britain
S67 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
S68 Challenge Cup Champion - Seattle Argonauts
Triple Gold Club

The Atlanta Inferno of the Simulation Hockey League are one of the newer franchises in the league, and as so they have not had much time to create any rivals. Last season Atlanta played the New Orleans Specters in the first round of the playoffs, where they beat them to move on to the next round. As it stands right now there isn't much of a rivalry there but should they keep playing each other a lot, the fairly close proximity of the two teams could lead to a great rivalry being made. A smaller one-sided rivalry could end up developing between Atlanta and some of the Great Lakes teams, as they will have to play the Great Lakes in order to make the finals and the Great Lakes is easily the strongest division in the league currently. The Inferno could easily grow to hate them should they end up getting stuck against them season after season. Of course, the Seattle Argonauts is another team that could be a rival since they're the other expansion team that was added to the league alongside the Inferno. Since they're on the other side of the country from Atlanta they won't play each other a ton, but any games they do play are sure to be heated ones.

215 words

[Image: Jepox.gif]

Ah, rivals. The detroit falcons have come across many in their lifetime. Mostly it has been... everyone. everyone they've fought with seem to have a nasty grip on winning and leave the falcons in the dust. Lately the falcons have been lacking, so in this case everyone is their rival because - the falcons are still hooked on doing their best, which they do, although this is the thirst that brings them to keep on going. Another game against a team that keeps kicking their ass? let's fucking go. no falcon is gonna be caught being all wimpy and sad cause we've been lacking, no sirry. the falcons always do their best and although we hold a lot of anger, which can be seen in our angry red bird logo, it explodes onto the ice and plays the game for us. maybe we should re-think our tactic though...

[Image: Zr5MBcp.png]

I am going to say that the New Orleans Specters are the Los Angeles Panther's rival, but it isn't because I have any sort of animosity towards the team. We have a few ex-Specters on the Panthers, even more so now that we traded for Nic Williams at the trade deadline last weekend. That gives us three players in total that used to play in New Orleans (Williams, Michael Fox, and Jimmy Slothface) and one ex-Specter prospect in Keith Lee. So that alone just gives us a ton of incentive to win when we play the Specters. Both of our teams are in the Western Conference as well, so all of our games against each other are very important when it comes to the standings. We tend to be battling New Orleans as far as it goes with making the playoffs, so this all just naturally leads to us being rivals. They seem to have amassed a lot of draft picks and Los Angeles has some good prospects, so we should see a pretty good extended rivalry between the teams moving forward.

182 words