Create Account

S57 PT #4 - Rivalry Week
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2020, 06:17 PM by Aephino.)

On Texas, based on our division we are rivals with probably either the Los Angeles Panthers or the New Orleans Specters. I think there is also a general stigma about NOLA that has people disliking them. That being said, Texas used to have beef with lots of teams so some people view Texas in a similar light (historically). But in recent times, Texas is really without a true rival, but hopefully we can start challenging for the Cup and forming new rivals based on that in these next couple seasons.

On Detroit, everyone knows about the St. Louis Scarecrows - Detroit Falcons rivalry. It always felt good to beat them, but it was more than just the simulation aspect. I remember disliking almost every single user on St. Louis simply because they played for the Scarecrows. I didn't mean for it to be personal, but I couldn't stand any of them. This rivalry certainly had some history to it, and I imagine that these two teams will stand the test of time and still dislike each other for many seasons to come. Assuming I stay long enough to recreate, I am already planning on making a SMJHL Team Tier List and will make a special category just for the stinky crows. SKREE!

[Image: UCTqPUg.png]

It's going to be difficult to name a rival, but I would say ultimately Chicago is our biggest rival. This would go back to basically their inception in S46. While it took them a season, in S47 we met in the wildcard round of the playoffs and lost to them 4-1, giving them their first playoff round victory. We met again in S51, where we went down 3-0 to them and completed a reverse sweep on the back of Scottey Crawfling. It was heartbreaking for them, and was the continuation of our competition. Then in S52 we continued this tradition with again going down 3-0 and completing a reverse sweep yet again. This was on our path to the Challenge Cup in the end.

What happens from there on is more of a regular season rivalry instead, as we are frequently side by side on the standings and competing for placement in the playoffs. While we could claim Buffalo or Hamilton as rivals, I'm sure many would and that they wouldn't ultimately claim us. However, Chicago is a team that we seem destined to align with and compete with. Likewise, we're the two major metropolitan areas of the Eastern conference -- other than Toronto -- giving us another base for our rivalry. Realistically, we're the best rivals we could be, and it's at the very least very entertaining.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

So currently the biggest rival of the Winnipeg Jets would probably be the Los Angeles Panthers. We are in a similar trajectory, with the Panthers being slightly ahead in the rebuild process, and the jockeying for the position behind the best team in the Western Conference, as Edmonton and Calgary start to age and they will lose players. With a group of players similar in age and TPE, the two teams will be just behind Texas in vying for the position as 2nd in the West, and to get the best playoff berth as possible.

For me personally, I have a fun rivalry with Jukka Timonen of the Manhattan Rage. We are similar in TPE count, and being from the same class, are natural competitors. In fact, we have a standing bet for a race to see who scores the most points in a season. Although we do bet money, it is more about having fun and bragging rights than actual cash. I won the first year we both played in the SHL, last year he won, and this year, he's got a slight lead.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

So you are probably thinking Bork Lazer plays for the Hamilton Steelhawks his rival has to be one of the great lakes teams like chicago syndicate or buffalo. Toronto is they were not toronto. Nope none of those teams bother the Chad. Could it be Bork Lazers former team the New Orleans Specters. Oh no there is no beef between the two in Bork Lazers eyes. No no there is one particular team that Big Daddy Chad has a problem with and that is the Texas Renegades. More importantly that chump Simp MASter. @Rabidsponge21s MAS is a punk in Bork Lazers eyes. He loves going up against him a picking on him like the wussy he is. Bork Lazer will continue to make him look a fool for the rest of his career. Is it still a rivalry if it is just one sided? I am sure it's frustrating not being a Chad like lazer and being a bum like MAS.

[Image: lazer2.png]

Although it has been of a lop-sided affair recently, throughout the history of SHL, the Winnipeg Jets have had a strong rivalry with the Edmonton Blizzard and Calgary Dragons. It seems that in any era, one of these 3 teams could always be counted on to take their turn on top of the West, and the league. All 3 teams have won cups in various seasons - in total, 21 championships have been won by these 3 teams alone, more than a third of all Cup wins in the entire league. There have been even more finals appearances, easily half of all Finals series have had one of these teams playing. Most recently, Winnipeg has not posed the challenge to these teams that we would like, especially in the FHM era, but it always feels like an extra special victory when we do manage to steal a game against either of them - and it stings a little more when they beat us, especially in a blowout. If we want to get back to the top of our division again, we are going to have to get past these two teams. Everybody has been saying for years, oh they are old and will start aging out, but yet they haven't lost a step yet, so it remains a big goal for us to match and surpass them sooner than later, while also keeping a step ahead of the other teams in the division, Seattle and Minnesota, who have the same goal. Soon the time will come when they won't be able to brush us aside so easily, and they will dread seeing our names coming up on the schedule!

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

Being a relatively young team, I’m not sure if there is an obvious rival for the Chicago Syndicate. Based on the most recent seasons perhaps it would be the Buffalo Stampede since Chicago always seems to lose in Overtime to them in the playoffs. Going back to the earlier seasons of the Syndicate perhaps the Manhattan Rage and the West Kendall Platoon are better fits since they also triumphed over the Syndicate in the playoffs. On a branding level I know a lot of people have compared the Syndicate branding to the Renegades branding so perhaps there is also some sort of rivalry there which forward facing shady man is better. There might also be some consideration for the New Orleans Specters as a rival since they entered the league at the same time but considering the different paths and conferences of the two teams they haven’t really played each other a ton.

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad

Hmm its tough to say who anchorages biggest rival is, despite my three seasons here we never really developed a strong rivalry with anyone. The first year I believe it was Kelowna who was our rival, all though there wasn't any trash talk or major hype when our games were played. Last season you could say the rivalry was with the whalers, as we had some close games and troubles beating them. Neither the Knights or the whalers became a playoff rivalry however. This season with a new GM at the front of the boat, and the team preforming pretty well we kind have made an indirect rival with Quebec City, now this wasn't formed during any games or the way we played each other, but the instead the battle for first place. We are both leading our respective divisions, however we both want to finish leading the league and take that crown heading into playoffs. So to answer your question, I believe our rivalry this season is with Quebec city.

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

My or shall I say our biggest rivalry has to be the Calgary Dragons! Western matchups, division matchups, playoff matchups long line of players/users hating on the other side is a well known thing. I think its an automatic when you get drafted by the Blizzard, the hate is brought on without ever setting a skate on the same sheet of ice with our opponents. A historic feud no doubt especially when taking into account the number of times we played each other over the years. Two great cities with two great teams, but the province of Alberta is torn in half when these two teams faceoff against one another.

To be completely honest, i don't even know how far this goes! Is it a schtick or is it for reals! All I know is that I and safe to say at least 90% of my team will not, do not, cannot lose to the Calgary Dragons. The thought makes my jaw cringe and my teeth clutch together as my face frowns and eyebrows pleat in disgust. Oh and you can probably add Texas to this scrap heat!

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

The obvious choice is the provincial rival, the Calgary Dragons, but there are a few other rivals I can think of during my time as a member of the Edmonton Blizzard. Late season 20, early 30's it was the New England Wolfpack punishing us in back to back finals matchups with an 8-1 record, ultimately ending what could have been a dynasty and becoming one themselves in the process. STHS even marked the two teams as rivals during that time haha. Mid to late 30's the Blizzard went in to hibernating as they rebuilt their roster and while they didn't necessarily have a rival the Hamilton Steelhawks also entered a rebuild of their own at the same time so there were always comparisons. That rivalry went away in the early S40's, but was rekindled in the late 40's to early 50's as the Steelhawks spoiled what could have been another dynasty opportunity with a pair of finals eliminations of their own. That being said I believe the Steelhawks would be considered the Blizzards biggest rival right now.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

I think as a very proud member of the Nevada Battleborn, our rivals are absolutely the Quebec City Citadelles. They came into the league at the same time as us and we are always going to be measured up against them as a way to see which team is better. I was one of the original 5 members of the Battleborn after being selected by the team in the expansion draft from the Detroit Falcons, and so for me beating Quebec City to a championship is something that I feel deep within me. The Battleborn are trying real hard for a trophy this season and I'm honestly hoping that my player can really take off in the last bit of the season and turn into an MVP candidate so that we can maybe have an MVP before they do. I am top 5 in points right now so it is a possibility I hope. But yeah, QCC is definitely my rival. I don't think that I have a rival in the SHL, as I have yet to play for any team up there.

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!

ISFL Affiliate

Drafted 2nd round 21st Pick by the Winnipeg Jets in S55 SHL Entry Draft 
GM of the UCORCAL in the WJC S55
S55 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for UCORCAL
Management Role for Russia in the IIHF
Recent Management Role / Head Coach for Winnipeg Aurora in SHL 
CO-GM St. Louis Scarecrows S57-S60
GM of the St. Louis Scarecrows S61-S72
S72 Challenge Cup Champion
[Image: 6JpC94j.png]
[Image: image0.png]
[Image: IMG_0301.jpg]

The San Francisco Pride have been quiet bad for a few seasons now and I feel like it's difficult to have a good rivalry in times when you're not particularly competitive. I guess our biggest rivals are the teams that have also been terrible right around this time and the team whose terribleness most coincides with ours is the Tampa Bay Barracuda. One could argue that they were even worse than us (at least for a time) because they had a season with zero wins and in our worst season we had four wins. Anyway, with a lot of teams with the way we are now we just kind of go in expecting to lose, but in the last couple of seasons with the Barracuda we look forward to those games because those are the times where we usually have a decent shot of winning. Because of that, in a season filled with losses, we have at least a few games we know are interesting. That's probably the closest thing we have to a rivalry right now.

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)

ISFL PT

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

THE ENTIRE LEAGUE IS OUR RIVAL!!! 

But really, I feel like QCC could have a few bids for Rivals. Last season the Raptors knocked us out of the playoffs. While it maybe a rather short time (as far as I'm aware) this is usually how rivalries start. See the Oilers and the Hurricanes as an example. Though I wouldn't say there is a lot of bad blood there. At least not yet. It's more a soft rivalry with COL having some bragging rights over QCC. At least for now.

Carolina could be another group that you look at. 7 and Flex are pretty good friends, I think. They really could hate each other but they act like their friends. There is a rule that if 7 shows up in the QCC locker room, we point (fake) guns at him. If that's not rivalry status I don't know what is. With the two GM's being friends though. This is more of a friendly rivalry and not a blood bath. 

NBB is probably my selection for QCC's most "hated" rival. We love beating them. We love watching them lose. Any time they're below us in the standings, it's cause of celebration in Quebec.

[img=0x0]https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/grUaWFD9ou9EjLV73AFr8OZ5Z5ZgBJHWeh35DDNtFgI/https/i.imgur.com/hQtmi8A.png[/img]
CitadellesCitadelles

Rivalries are definitely something that can change a lot over the years. For a long time Edmonton and Texas were probably the two teams I couldn't stand the most in the league, but that was long long ago, probably before most of you even joined the league, and even though I still haven't played for either team I don't mind them at all nowadays. Another team I really didn't like for quite some time was Buffalo, although that was built more on personal animosities than on the team and its players, and it's kinda tough to call this an actual rivalry as well given how much they have dominated both us and the league as a whole over the last decade or two. Kinda the same is true for the Hamilton Steelhawks who have rolled the league for much of the last year or two, but who I have a strong dislike for for there "fuck the league and everyone in it as long as it means that we win" attitude. But the one team I would call an actual rival nowadays is New Orleans. Sharing a conference, competitive and controversial playoff battles, cheating allegations, chirping and shit-talking around the boards, those are all great recipes for a rivalry and I would think the relationship between LA and NOLA over the last few seasons definitely qualifies as one.