Create Account

S57 SMJHL PT #5 - Self Evaluation

My first season in the juniors has completely and totally exceeded my expectations. Granted, coming into the league, I had pretty low expectations for David S. Pumpkins, but thanks to the incredible leadership of the Anchorage Armada organization and the strong bond Pumpkins shares with his teammates, I now believe anything to be possible for Pumpkins and his beloved team of boats. Anchorage has been sitting pretty at the top of the standings in the West for the vast majority of the season, currently boasting 36 wins, 16 losses, and 6 overtime losses. Offensively, they're the second ranked team in the SMJHL in terms of goals scored with 186, while meanwhile their top ranked defense has surrendered less goals than any other team in the league. Pumpkins is but a very small cog in an absolute unit of a robo-chad, however he is thankful for the ice time the team management gives him. Pumpkins has scored 7 goals so far this season (which is frankly 7 more than expected) and boasts an incredible 11.48% shooting percentage, which is the fifth highest on the team; incredible, considering the man has been missing from the team's training sessions and the gym at large for weeks.

[Image: kBkNrmu.png]
Armada Aurora

The season is currently taking place for the Vancouver Whalers team. I have definitely learned to work with higher level players, but there is still a lot to learn. The season is already coming to an end. I feel comfortable in this team, it is not that after a bad game morale is damaged and settled behind the strip. For the first season, the statistics satisfy me in half, of course, could have been much better. I have played 58 games with a total of 9 points (2 + 7). I got the first point very late, it was not the beginning of the season, but a couple of games later. It's hard to get used to a different style of play, but I'm open. It is a great pleasure that the coach has started to trust a little more, because at the beginning of the season my average game time was about 7 minutes, but now it is almost 12 minutes. I am satisfied with everything in general, there are no things I could complain about personally, I see for myself that the performance has improved, it can also be seen from the statistics.

The great thing about being on a team that is on the rise is that you get to enjoy the rewards and accolades that come with it. The worst thing is being a rookie on a team like that, though I still would call my season a success. Yeah, I didn't score 20 goals and no, I didn't set the world on fire but I still came in as a fourth line center and despite only 8 minutes average per ice time still managed to score 10 points including 1 point on the power play. Not only that, but I really enjoy playing in Quebec City. The LR culture is out of this world and everyone is friendly and wants to see you do better. As a result, I am more engaged and focused on making teammates happy and working even harder to succeed. I feel like I am in perfect position to improve my line position next season and that Quebec City will market me as well as my soon to be SHL team, whomever they may be.

As we near the end of the SMJHL season, it is time to reflect upon the first season of Tomas Lind's playing career. One of the goals he set out with in the beginning of the season, scoring 10 goals of his own, was surpassed after a streak of games when it did not seem like he could miss the net. However Lind cooled off and has not seen the red light behind the opposition goaltender light up much during the latter half of the season. The main goal of being a part of at least 30 goals for has also been surpassed, but one of the main drawbacks of Lind's performance has been on the defensive end allowing more shots and goals against compared to the offensive contribution. The Kraken has also seen themselves being overrun by a strong Falcons spurt and lose the division lead, three points behind with the same number of games played. Looking towards the playoffs, the Kraken will have to fight their way out of the third worst performance in the league, but can hopefully create a stir in the first and subsequent rounds.

Code:
Words: 192

Being drafted to the Detroit Falcons ended up being great for me, it's a fun team and we've had a lot of good times already in the locker room, i also really like our current roster, should be a contending team very soon. The teams performance has been better than i expected, currently sitting 3rd in the east while many thought the Falcons would be a bottom team this season. We even managed some good win streaks recently, going 9-0-1 at one point. Personal performance wise it has been a pretty good rookie season so far, with 12 goals and 26 points which is tied for 8th on Detroit right now 58 games into the season, 35+ points was my goal for this season and it's unlikely that i will hit that with only 8 games remaining, but 30 is still possible, along with hitting 15 goals which was one of the stats i was hoping to hit this season. Outside of that, a plus minus of -10 and only 17 hits, it hasn't been a great season defensively for me.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

Kermit Murphy hasn't had the best rookie season but overall, it's hard to say it's been a bad one. A little under half a point per game as a rookie is definitely not terrible, and he's been helping off the scoresheet as well as he currently sits 3rd in the league in hits. As well, he's contributed on both special teams units, demonstrating his well rounded game despite his young age. His improvement throughout the season has contributed to Detroit's recent run of success, as the team improves into a squad that could be a threat to win a playoff round or two before becoming an elite team in coming seasons. With Murphy's physical dominance on their side, it means that the Falcons will be confidence in their knowledge that they have a hulking physical presence that can hang with and check the best that the opposition has to offer while also chipping in offensively, with the potential to grow into a tremendous two way force throughout his junior career

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Ruedi Huber has had simply an "OK" rookie year. As the season is set to end, much like his team, the Colorado Raptors, he has had his ups and downs. On one hand, he, much like the team, enjoyed stretches of excellent play relative to expectations. On the other hand, Ruedi has gone pointless in the majority of games this season while not playing as strong defensively as he would have liked.

Before the season began, I said Huber's main goal was to be a plus player and he is far from that. He has given the puck away much more than I anticipated, however he has blocked more shots than I had previously imagined. Offensively, He is right on par with my preseason expectations of 8 goals, 15 points (he currently has 8 goals, 14 points). The most positive aspect of his play has been his physicality. I set a goal for Ruedi to rack up around 50 hits, and he currently already has 72.

Overall, it's be an alright year for Ruedi Huber but he'll be looking to vastly improve going into next season.

189 words

[Image: jptmag.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021, 10:58 PM by Spartan.)

So a self eval eh? I suppose this isn't too hard to do. Leon's basically met expectations I'd suppose for a third line rookie. I don't know his exact points on the season so far, but last I checked, he was posting very similar numbers to the two other top rookies on our squad and in my class, which is nice to see considering Leon made the decision to join the SMJHL after the draft had concluded.

I think a strength has been his chemistry with the other rookies, as well as the ability to adapt to what coaches ask of him. While he was selfish in his early days, he took advice to work on his passing and playmaking to set up his teammates as well. A nice progression for him through the season, and I'm excited for the next season when he'll have some experience under his belt.