Create Account

Goodbye, Maine
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 03:47 PM by Zema.)

Goodbye, Maine

1800 words

Background

Me and this franchise have a longer history than what is shown on the surface. Going back all the way to S45, I was drafted 21st overall by former GM King (let’s be honest here, it was all @Stamkosfan) to the Halifax Raiders. Other people included in this draft that were selected by Halifax include @slothfacekilla , @Kalakar and @Flareon . There was one more notable member of this fantastic group of people, but I am omitting him until later.

Either way, I went IA after only 3 weeks. With some internal drama around the GMs, me coming to terms with what the league was actually about (work, and no agency to player build) and own mental health issues made me realize that the SHL wasn’t for me. Right now.

Many people, and dare I say everyone who would read this, have all experienced what it’s like being a new member to this community. Everyone is helping out, everyone is showing interest. People are having fun with this little small subsection and escapish-from-reality simulator. A family, some might say.
With some reflection to it all, I knew that was something I wanted to come back to. But not until I was in a better head space and could actually settle down and enjoy it again.

Come March of 2020. I am winding down my final class of my first year of studying. A couple of weeks away, I would start my internship that would last until summer. I was looking for something more that could fill my time, and remembered this old site. I had to settle in my mind that I wouldn’t have to top earn, and just do the tasks as they came. To not feel pressured into doing shit for the sake of doing them. I wanted to wait a couple of weeks however. Almost 3 hours of commuting each day during the internship through train and bus was always gonna take a toll on me, so I would have to wait and see if I actually would get enough time in a day or week to come back.

I recreated on the 19th of April. On the 20th of April I got a message in my inbox titled “Maine Timber Playoff Push”. A certain @CementHands had sent it to me just after the trade deadline. I accepted.

Once I got into the LR, I realized that I had been there before. Apparently Halifax Raiders were no more, and they were now known as The Maine Timber. And a very familiar face was in charge now.

My time with the Timber

You guys remember the guy that I omitted from that list of players? Spoilers: It was none other than @Citizen of Adraa . Yes, my former team mate (and lower draft pick) was now the GM of the franchise we were both drafted to back in the day. Who would’ve thought.

I quickly settled back into the team. Lots of friendly faces all around! You had @suavemente and @Rabidsponge21 being fairly active. @BloomeyGB , @Faelax and @CrazyMojito among others were also chatting along with both previously mentioned GMs. Here you could also find @AgentSmith630 , but more about him later.

We did not make the playoffs. We finished last, if I recall correctly. I was now an FA and would be looked at for the upcoming draft. I had some destinations that looked really enticing. Colorado was among the teams very interested. But, as you might have guessed, I was Maine bound.
At 21st overall, once again.

Well, the S55 were a huge class of players for Maine. Previously mentioned Bjerg made a comeback. Joined up with us would  @crutch , @Jorec , @DonutDefender and @KaleSalad among others. A fantastic draft for Maine! Sadly, the season following it wouldn’t be great. As a young team, we once again missed the playoffs. We knew our time would come once we got a bit older and more experienced.

In between the seasons however, lots of things would change. I got drafted to the Wolfpack at 8th overall. My linemate and assistant captain Alex Roach would leave for Quebec. A slight hit to our overall chances for a cup run, but we would manage anyway.
Ahead of the season, an announcement was made. An announcement that declared me as the new assistant captain of the Timber, following in the footsteps of Roach. This was, hands down, one of the proudest moments of 2020 for me. I was beaming all night at work. To this day, I can’t thank CoA and Krash enough for the trust they’ve put in me.

That season ended up being my best one in juniors. Both from a personal and team standpoint. 37 points in 50 games was a great tally. But that playoffs man, those were something else. After a sweep of Quebec, we were facing down the barrel of Anchorage Armada. A team with the best goalie in the league (ever), and a defence to boot. After winning game 1, we would lose the next 3 to go down to match point.
But little did they know, we had Kyle Sutton. 7 points in 3 games, including an OT winner in game 6 saw us through to the 3rd round! A 3rd round match-up vs. the Kelowna Knights.
Another game 1 win, followed by losses in games 2, 4 and 5 with a close-fought win in game 3. Matchpoint Kelowna, but it’s Bloomey time! Over the next two games, he would save 59/60 shots to pull us through to the finals. An MVP worthy playoff performance for the legendary keeper.
6th seed Maine Timber would go on to the finals facing 1st seed Newfoundland. This didn’t end as well as the previous series. We lost games 1 and 3, while winning games 2 and 4. Tied at 2, we went into the final day of the season. NL ended up winning game 5 with 3-2, before sealing the deal in Portland with a 5-2 win. We were knocked out, and NL celebrated on our ice with the 4-star.

This would end up being the final season for some key players. Captain Kalashnikov, MAS, Hammerberg (TDL acquisition) and Windsor would all leave. A new core had formed around the S54 and S55 guys, and we put high expectations on the future: Cup or bust.

Pulling it back a bit, I mentioned before that getting that A was one of the proudest moments of 2020 for me? Well, it was trumped by one thing. Ahead of my 3rd (+12 games) season with the Maine Timber, I was named the new Captain. This was not something I expected back in March, or even May when I was drafted back to the franchise. Little stupid me, being named captain? Would I, Zema, step into the footsteps of @suavemente ? I was nervous, I was excited. And proud. In hindsight, I don’t think I did an awful job. I don’t think I did a good enough job either and should have been better on and off the ice. I will still walk away looking back at the captaincy with pride, but also a sense of what if?

Because as you all may know, things didn’t go very well. Knocked out in the 2nd round last season, to a 1st round upset exit by the 12th seed. It had to be Newfoundland as well, delivering the death punch to my SMJHL career. After our best regular season in my tenure here with myself scoring in droves, I was once again not good enough when push came to shove. We weren’t close, and I am just empty right now. I always had in mind to write this insane block of text once my career in the J was over. But I never envisioned it would come like this. Not this early, not this hurtful.

Oscarssons journey with the Maine Timber has now ended.

Coa and Krash

These two are some of the best people you’ll find on the site. Their amazing work and dedication to Maine, the site and the SMJHL should never be understated. Beyond that, they have created and nurtured a culture in Maine that is just incredible. Their scouting, their friendliness and how they just continually help everyone out are just part of what makes it great.

I am not gonna lie, I was slightly hesitant to return to the former Halifax franchise after my exit last time around. I have no regrets in doing so now, and would go through every up and down along the way again for you.

And I still can’t thank you enough for putting the belief you’ve shown me. The two of you have been huge parts of me not only remaining on the site but wanting to continuously improve, stay active and engaged with the people all around.

Thank you guys for everything, @Citizen of Adraa and @CementHands

Bjerg

I signed with the Maine Timber on the 21st of April as a DFA. A couple of hours earlier, someone else signed. @AgentSmith630 would become my team mate not only in Maine for the reminder of the season, but also Team Sweden for the future. Both of us would end up being drafted to Maine, where we would be playing together every night since. 269 regular season and playoff games together. Include 4 WJC to date, with another WJC coming up and an IIHF tournament on the horizon. By the time our J careers are over, we will have played over 300 games together.

We have followed in each other's footsteps from the start of our careers, and we have yet to play a single game without the other on the ice. That will now come to an end.

I wanted to dedicate a special section to him. I should do that to all the S55 class really, but I really wanted to do one for Bjerg personally. He’s such an incredible person who has been such a big part of everything around the site for me. It just wouldn’t be the same without you, and I am so happy I’ve gotten to know you over the last 9 months. Long may it continue. Until then, enjoy the sunny weather and I will see you around.

Closer

Thank you to everyone who has made my J experience as great as it has. I’m not gonna @ everyone (already done that for a huge amount of people), but now that I appreciate all of you former teammates.

In a few seasons, a new look Maine team will take form. Lots of new players will step into the shoes left behind by the S55 class. And it will be great. I hope you finish the job we couldn’t.

If you read it all, kudos to you. If you didn’t, don’t worry. It was just something I wanted and needed to write. Take care now, and I will see you around.

With regards,

Zema

[Image: K6ykz0o.png]
Theodor Larsson
TimberTimber
pridepride

Thanks for being a fantastic teammate!  You're going to kill it with New England

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

I already miss you buddy!  Timber forever!

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

Really glad you came back Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 04:21 PM by CrazyMojito.)

Even though I was a draft class ahead of you, you were with Maine pretty much the whole time I was there. You were a huge part of our locker room and was someone who kept me actively involved while I had my own issues I was dealing with. You totally earned that C and lived up to what it meant to wear it, never doubt that buddy! Best of luck in New England where I know you'll have a monster of a career and I look forward to our first matchup against each other and every one after that!  Timber Timber Timber

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Citadelles Citadelles Stars Blizzard Canada 
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Timber Timber  Timber Timber Sad endings, but happy beginnings elsewhere  Timber Timber Timber Timber Good luck in New England Timber Timber Timber Timber Dont be a stranger in Portland

[Image: sig-goldblum.png]
Former Player

Timber Timber Timber Timber

[Image: bloomfield.png]
[Image: NEW_Team_final.png][img=0x280]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/789216032630898779/789216043259265024/unknown.png?width=1103&height=613[/img]

Timber Timber Timber Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack

[Image: m59RPb7.png]   [Image: FcWmVTl.png]
[Image: krazkoSEA.gif]
credit to amazing @Carpy48, @Ragnar @sköldpaddor, @the_paytonium & @sulovilen !

Congrats on everything you have achieved and best of luck in New England!  Timber

[Image: CaleSalad.gif]
[Image: kalesaladshl.gif]
some high fibre sigs are Powered by AllBran, 

Good luck in Boston! Thank you for the last 4+ seasons in Maine!

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

Legend, one of the driving forces behind making Maine a great place!

[Image: 81ImQYu.png][Image: suavemente.gif][Image: QD85cmZ.png]
     Platoon    Timber
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021, 10:55 AM by Jorec.)

It was a real pleasure, man. Smile

Andren Akerson (Present)
Adrik Baranov (S55 to S70)
Rurik Razin (S32 to S44)
Roy Razin (S17 to S32) (HOF/Rage HOF)
Audun Wissink (S5 to S15)