Create Account

Criteria for Media

I think it's about time that we looked at the criteria for what can be classed as media. Not everyone has an interest in dumbing thousands of words of filler about their player's favorite restaurant and not everyone wants to work with spreadsheets so they can dump the sheet into media. I'm not saying these medias are bad, the right writer can make a story media very fun to read. Many of the stats articles and data articles are fantastic. But I don't see why things like @Nictox 's album reviews cant be considered media. Why is something like this not media but a spreadsheet dump is. Regardless of if Nic's article is about the sim or his player, he's putting time into something that contributes to the forum and our community. People actually are reading his album reviews and I don't think it should be considered invalid.

What I'm trying to say that if someone puts in the effort to write up some sort of media piece, even if it isn't about the SHL, they should be rewarded for contributing to this community. We can even split media into League Media and Other Media if people don't want their league media flooded with random stuff. But I think doing something like this will allow players to be more active as not everyone wants to make money dumping words on the page about their offseason routine. Users will be able to contribute in a way that interests them while being compensated for their time.

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

Other Media would open up one hell of a can of worms

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Yeah what? I mean the thing Nictox made is literally driving member involvement, at least I'm checking what he thinks of each album and I imagine at least one other person has been too. It's fun and interesting and it relates directly to the members of this community.

I'm puzzled. Media is already shitty enough to write, why are we actively deterring people from writing it now?

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

01-28-2021, 09:21 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: Other Media would open up one hell of a can of worms

I'll literally shower in the contents of that can of worms. Call me a classless peasant but at least Fitted's word vomit can be funny to read.

[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]

01-28-2021, 09:21 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: Other Media would open up one hell of a can of worms
This was my initial thought, too. If there’s no rule that it has to be SHL related, what’s to stop me from just...grabbing my personal 2k word end of year assessment from my day job and earning a cool 2M?

But I do think there’s a middle ground to be found there. What Nictox is doing isn’t necessarily SHL-hockey related, but it is SHL-community related, so if we could establish some guidelines like say, maybe it just has to be relevant to other users on the site and was clearly written with the intent to engage this community specifically, I would be all for that.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

I am not looking to profit from my posts. Having an "Other Media" section would be interesting for SHL-community related articles. Like Trella stated, not everyone wants to read about "x's player's night out." (Sorry to anyone named X who wrote about their night out, I'm sure it was great). The Other Media would have to have some connection to the community itself. If you want to introduce a pay for the media, why not change the scale to 1/2 or 1/4 what the SHL-hockey media is?

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26 | RIP TDZ

01-28-2021, 09:25 AMsköldpaddor Wrote:
This was my initial thought, too. If there’s no rule that it has to be SHL related, what’s to stop me from just...grabbing my personal 2k word end of year assessment from my day job and earning a cool 2M?

But I do think there’s a middle ground to be found there. What Nictox is doing isn’t necessarily SHL-hockey related, but it is SHL-community related, so if we could establish some guidelines like say, maybe it just has to be relevant to other users on the site and was clearly written with the intent to engage this community specifically, I would be all for that.

Yeah I don't think the idea is that it's totally unrelated to the SHL, but that it's not related to the hockey/sim. Like you said, this was community related.

01-28-2021, 09:25 AMsköldpaddor Wrote:

Yeah, of course there should be strict rules about what is considered to be “other media” so we dont get like a college essay in there or something. It’s kind of a know it when you see it thing, but I’m sure that people who are smarter than me figure out better criteria than i can

01-28-2021, 09:59 AMNictox Wrote: I am not looking to profit from my posts. Having an "Other Media" section would be interesting for SHL-community related articles. Like Trella stated, not everyone wants to read about "x's player's night out." (Sorry to anyone named X who wrote about their night out, I'm sure it was great). The Other Media would have to have some connection to the community itself.  If you want to introduce a pay for the media, why not change the scale to 1/2 or 1/4 what the SHL-hockey media is?
I just think that it’s important to make others be able to make a little bit of money doing what you’re doing. I feel like being active and affording training and coaching could be easier for a lot of users if you could still make money off other site contributions

01-28-2021, 10:42 AMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote:
01-28-2021, 09:25 AMsköldpaddor Wrote: This was my initial thought, too. If there’s no rule that it has to be SHL related, what’s to stop me from just...grabbing my personal 2k word end of year assessment from my day job and earning a cool 2M?

Yeah I don't think the idea is that it's totally unrelated to the SHL, but that it's not related to the hockey/sim. Like you said, this was community related.
Yeah we could maybe have “League Media” and “Community Media”

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2021, 10:53 AM by GCool.)

[I know my example's extremely personal to me, but just to weigh in]

I was trying to get my NCAA Dynasty to work on my computer, but it simply doesn't right now. The plan was to play with user-created characters and then do my podcast over it. With my computer not working on the streaming scale, I *would* be inclined to write about it instead if I could get paid for it. Simply posting a table of players' stats in NCAA while writing about SHL things sort of misses the point, and it's not really something I'm interested in. But it's also the only way I'd get money for what I do, so my hands are tied.

Regarding the spreadsheets -- and I honestly hate bringing this up again because I know it's being worked on and I'm not at all trying to disparage those involved -- the grunt work involved with copying/pasting index stats as it stands now is arduous. I don't have the bandwidth to make my own data scraper, and I appreciate those who can. But doing it the old fashioned way here is much more laborious than doing it the old fashioned way in the STHS index's format. I'm not saying that should be considered when making a ruling re: paying out "Other" Media, but before copying/pasting spreadsheets is discredited completely (which I advocated for years ago), think about that part a little.

I echo the sentiments of trella and others when I say I'd much prefer to read what Nictox is putting out than some stuff in the SHL/SMJHL media sections that get their players money. Media pieces that took time to write and get community members involved such as this should be rewarded with in-game money. I don't see an issue in that. If there has to be an arbitration or appeal process -- like, if someone wanted to do a series of IRL interviews with SHL users, and he's wondering whether or not that would have SHL-monetary benefits -- I'd be up for that. The key is good writing, community involvement, and something that others would actually want to read.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2021, 11:23 AM by sve7en.)

01-28-2021, 09:12 AMtrella Wrote: I But I don't see why things like @Nictox 's album reviews cant be considered media. Why is something like this not media but a spreadsheet dump is. 

Hot take, why should either?

Pretty sure you can hit 1500tpe without ever posting media right now? Rookie tasks, contracts, and Twitter is pretty good rn. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but that seems fine if I'm remembering correctly.

e/
Making media shouldn't be something to be expected out of every user, that's something I agree with. We're an update scale tweak away from players being able to make a good to great player without doing much as it is. Increase ways to engage and contribute to the site sure, but lowering the bar for media that gets paid won't feel great to people who put a lot of work into media.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

I dumped a spreadsheet and 1000 words and got paid 7 million dollars

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

01-28-2021, 11:13 AMsve7en Wrote:
01-28-2021, 09:12 AMtrella Wrote: I But I don't see why things like @Nictox 's album reviews cant be considered media. Why is something like this not media but a spreadsheet dump is. 

Hot take, why should either?

Pretty sure you can hit 1500tpe without ever posting media right now? Rookie tasks, contracts, and Twitter is pretty good rn. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but that seems fine if I'm remembering correctly.

Ok,. so stop paying for media?

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2021, 11:22 AM by Mutedfaith.)

What I want to know is.. What happened to the first 6 albums?

Edit: Nevermind, found them.

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty