Create Account

The Player's Tribune

[Image: 3356.vresize.350.350.medium.64.png]
"Is this goodbye?"
By Johnny Shuffleboard
Wow. Four incredible years, and now it's time to move on. It didn't exactly end the way we wanted, but this last season was quite a fun ride. Sending Nevada packing in their own arena in game five, and wiping the Falcons off the floor we had gotten to the semis where we finally met our end. But to say goodbye, it's much easier to start from the beginning.

I came here at the tail end of season 53 hoping to join the Whalers for a little playoff run before my draft year. I was given some playing time even. But we managed to blow that, I think we lost like 10 of our last 11.
I was utterly surprised when my name was called at number three to the Whalers. I was hoping I'd manage to return here, but I thought I was a first round talent, and everyone had Jöörgüštrâäd DuBølk penciled in at number three. But the Whalers made, what I hope they also think of, a good decision by taking me. Then the next year we probably had the worst season of all-time. My last article here spoke a bit about that, I'll just gloss over it this time.

Season 55 was a bit more fun. While everyone got to make the playoffs, we ending the season red-hot and even after falling to the eventual champs in Carolina, everything was looking good.

Season 56 was the year though. Everything lined up and we were ready for a run. And a run we went on. My last article spoke a bit of my personal struggles that season, but as a team we were the favorites and we played like it. Management went all in and got us a rental. We then swept away Kelowna, Carolina took us seven, and we beat Newfoundland in six. The only regret I have on that season was not being able to win the championship at home. The dead silence of the building is cool to hear as a visitor, but it's nothing on the roar of a crowd. We got that at the parade a few days later, but it just wasn't the same.

And now this season. We lost a lot of players, a bunch of my friends moved up in the ranks and we weren't quite the same level. I was honored to be chosen as team captain, and we went to work. A couple of series in the playoffs, and now it's all over.

So Vancouver it is time for me to move on. I wanted to write closer to the end of the season, but as I sat down I got a phone call from Tomen, the GM of the Buffalo Stampede. A whirlwind of things later, and I'm dealing with canceling my apartment in Buffalo and trying to find one in Minnesota (I'm actually in that apartment right now). Kinda stopped me from writing.
So fans, it's time for me to finally say me goodbye. I will be watching, I will be rooting for, and I may just be helping the Vancouver Whalers from afar.

Thank you for four amazing seasons,
Johnny Shuffleboard

(533 words)

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: uNh8ZtE.png]

Good Luck in Minnesota Shuff! See you on the ice

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs