Create Account

Let's talk about parity... again

Parity has been a big issue and discussion point in the league ever since the switch to FHM. We already had a long thread about this a few seasons ago over here and the dicussion has popped up in many discussions since then as well, with people generally being concerned about league parity but to varying degrees. At the same time, the league has also taken certain steps to address the parity issue with additional steps currently being discussed in the background. So with us about to enter a new season, I figured now might be a good time to have a new thread about this topic where we can try to somewhat centralize the discussion and figure out what the league thinks about the topic.

So where do you guys think we stand in terms of league parity? Which different aspects of the topic do you think are the most crucial ones right now? Is it actually a big issue or not? Are the measures that have been taken so far sufficient? Do we just need to give them more time to work or do we need to do more?

Of course I have some thoughts on this topic as well but I didn't want to start this thread off with a typical long-winded RED post but hear other peoples opinions first :D. In short I'm still quite concerned and think that we need to do more to improve parity and stop things from becoming stale, as we have gotten to the point where both people on good and on bad teams have started voicing their concerns and talking about how things have become to boring and predictable for them.

I think parity is fine right now. Imo 3 out of 4 teams in the great lakes league having a shot at the cup is pretty balanced.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 01:32 PM by Samsung virtual assistant.)

Have the worst teams not trade all their 1st rounders to top teams

ez

Now the serious discussions can begin when we got that out of the way, kek

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

The FHM era started off very unbalanced as the difference between really good teams and really bad teams was significantly greater than in STHS. However, in the 5 seasons that we've been on FHM, that gap has closed significantly. Many teams that went into full rebuilds are coming out of it now. Those teams won't be 10-1 pushovers like they were in the first few seasons with the new engine. I don't think we should do anything that inorganically causes the top teams to be weakened, as they shouldn't have to suffer because they were in good shape and other teams weren't. I would preach patience for a few more seasons and see how the salary cap/tier changes continue to come into effect as prior contracts expire.

[Image: grogu111-A11.jpg]
norway                             IIHF Team Norway                          norway

For the league poll the average answer to whether parity is improving on a scale of 1-10 is a 5.6. Which is where I see it, obviously things take time to take place. You see that now with the better teams caps get tighter and tighter as the old contracts get off the books.

I believe the final piece of the puzzle is the update scale changes, which HO and GMs have been working on. It just needs testing for the junior level as well to make sure that we change it and theoretically we don’t have to change it for a very long time.

I feel like we gave a lot of tools to teams that are getting better in order get better, it’s just using the tools and not helping the already great teams as much.

With STHS there was a lot of randomness so you can have a stacked team miss the playoffs, where you don’t see that now as in FHM the important of depth and skill is increased. In the west I think is a pretty good example on where parity is going. Texas did a great job with it. Then you see teams like LAP and WPG continue to improve.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Parity is a problem here and I told that already when SHL switched from STHS to FHM. However - I don't believe that SHL will change to other simulation engine, because we just had one big change. And second - since I play for Buffalo Stampede, I don't really even want that. I am on one of the best teams ever (if not the best) and while I'm here - I don't really care about what's going on with simulatuon engine and parity with other teams. Long story short - I think there's plenty users like me who are happy with team they are on, because they have good teammates and they are contenders. However - would be cool to have parity fixed.

Stars Stars Stars
[Image: aumy3.png]

01-31-2021, 01:30 PMLime Wrote: I think parity is fine right now. Imo 3 out of 4 teams in the great lakes league having a shot at the cup is pretty balanced.

4/4 a very good chance all 4 teams are in the top half of the league this season...

01-31-2021, 01:53 PMgolden_apricot Wrote:
01-31-2021, 01:30 PMLime Wrote: I think parity is fine right now. Imo 3 out of 4 teams in the great lakes league having a shot at the cup is pretty balanced.

4/4 a very good chance all 4 teams are in the top half of the league this season...

Lots of parity in the great lakes

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

First thing we need is a bit of patience. This is not an issue that is gonna get solved instantly, requires pretty big hits to the league to be done and therefore those decisions take a while to get settled on, and it's not like the cap change will have effects right away considering the nature of grandfathered contracts. Another thing is trying to not go overboard with the changes and not creating a feeling of "it doesn't matter what I do as a GM/player, since rosters/TPE make no difference in our chances to win", which is exactly what I feel throwing changes upon changes at the same issue without even trying to see the results first is going to create.

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]

01-31-2021, 02:01 PMml002 Wrote:
01-31-2021, 01:53 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: 4/4 a very good chance all 4 teams are in the top half of the league this season...

Lots of parity in the great lakes

16 team playoff @luketd

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

i dont think of parity much, but i keep asking myself "is parity a problem or are the other teams just bad?". I would love to look at some data and see.

On the other hand, you fucks keep giving hammy and buffalo 1sts to keep their train rolling. Its hard to tell who is at fault here. Buffalo keeps turning solid players into more and more picks in a way that feels like theyll never be bad. Meanwhile, like 4 or 5 teams have been rebuilding the last 5 seasons at least. I dont really know where we're at in terms of parity as it applies to FHM.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

01-31-2021, 02:05 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: i dont think of parity much, but i keep asking myself "is parity a problem or are the other teams just bad?". I would love to look at some data and see.

On the other hand, you fucks keep giving hammy and buffalo 1sts to keep their train rolling. Its hard to tell who is at fault here. Buffalo keeps turning solid players into more and more picks in a way that feels like theyll never be bad. Meanwhile, like 4 or 5 teams have been rebuilding the last 5 seasons at least. I dont really know where we're at in terms of parity as it applies to FHM.

Rebuilds took this long in STHS too, they just went online a lot sooner, so it didn't feel as bad.

Manhattan Rage | General Manager
[Image: sig-hlemyzd.png]
thanks Sulovilen for the sig!
D | Great Falls Grizzlies | Player Page | Update Page

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]
[Image: image.png]

01-31-2021, 01:43 PMst4rface Wrote: Parity is a problem here and I told that already when SHL switched from STHS to FHM. However - I don't believe that SHL will change to other simulation engine, because we just had one big change. And second - since I play for Buffalo Stampede, I don't really even want that. I am on one of the best teams ever (if not the best) and while I'm here - I don't really care about what's going on with simulatuon engine and parity with other teams. Long story short - I think there's plenty users like me who are happy with team they are on, because they have good teammates and they are contenders. However - would be cool to have parity fixed.

Wait is this an actual take

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

01-31-2021, 02:08 PMCitizen of Adraa Wrote:
01-31-2021, 02:05 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: i dont think of parity much, but i keep asking myself "is parity a problem or are the other teams just bad?". I would love to look at some data and see.

Rebuilds took this long in STHS too, they just went online a lot sooner, so it didn't feel as bad.

Ehhhhhhh doubt because I was able to make the playoffs with a 190 TPE center playing 15 mins a game. The parity that STHS created made it much easier to start making the playoffs before the rebuild was finished

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

01-31-2021, 02:24 PMml002 Wrote:
01-31-2021, 02:08 PMCitizen of Adraa Wrote: Rebuilds took this long in STHS too, they just went online a lot sooner, so it didn't feel as bad.

Ehhhhhhh doubt because I was able to make the playoffs with a 190 TPE center playing 15 mins a game. The parity that STHS created made it much easier to start making the playoffs before the rebuild was finished
that kind of parity feels dumb, tbh. Seems more like random swings than it does parity

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]