Create Account

Billy Brooks finds his way to the SHL! | x2 Media!
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021, 02:18 PM by supertardis101.)

Yesterday was a whirlwind of emotions for Billy Brooks. Billy has been through a lot in his life. He has dealt with abandonment, poverty, distrust, anger, and nearly all the bad things that could happen to a person happened to Billy. He has a long journey to get to where he is today, but that journey could not have led him to as many great places as it did. He is so happy to be where he is now that he nearly breaks down and cries thinking about his luck every day. It all started nearly 1 year ago today. Billy decided to declare for the SMJHL Draft. Billy had been quite a hockey player in his trials and tribulations across the world. He had been in and out of prison a few times and had found his love for the game reignited there. He worked his ass off at nearly every showing for scouts and GMs that had ever existed. It was hard work, but it did work out well for Billy in the end. He managed to get drafted into the SMJHL. He really impressed the scouts of the Newfoundland Berserkers who decided that he was worth their 11th overall pick. 11th overall was a big number for the young rookie. He had never imagined in all of his wildest dreams that he might end 11th overall in the draft. It made him so happy. 

He played out his rookie season with the Berserkers that following year. He came to the team an overweight and uncoordinated mess, but as the year went on he got better and better. He became very athletic and put in the extra hours with the coaches wherever he could. The work was tough and the hours were long, but after months of training and drills, the rookie was ready to play the season. The season kicked off on the 4th of October and while Billy did not get a lot of ice time, he did get some experience of what it was like to be a hockey player. The team lost the game unfortunately in a shootout, but the Newfoundland boys were not to be deterred. Every day, before the game they would come to the arena ready to practice and to play that day. They would do skating drills, shoot shots, and pound beers together in the dressing room. The bond that formed between the guys was unbreakable and every game they played only strengthened it. The season, on the other hand,  was not experiencing such great successes. The Berserkers were hurting. They maintained a losing record for the entire season and never even fought a team more competitive than them. It was a bit painful to watch, but luckily the team did not fall apart. Surprisingly, we actually grew closer together. We realized that most of the team's core were rookies and a result we would be playing together once again next season. That encouraged us as we knew we had something to fight for in the near future. The team was pumped, the team was happy, and we were ready to kick some ass and chew some bubblegum in the coming future. 

The season finally came to an end in late February as the final standings came into place. The Berserkers were last, and as a result, would be going into the playoffs as the 12th seed while facing the 5 seed Maine Timber. The Timber had been one of the most competitive teams in the SHL all season so the thought of competing against them was something that scared all of us in our minds. The environment in the locker-room was dead quiet before the game, but we were ready for a fight. We came out guns a blazing and we did something that no-one expected. We won. It was absolute pandemonium after the game. We went out, we celebrated, and we flooded the streets of Newfoundland with vodka.  It was a blast, but it could not last. We knew that the victory was only going to put us up a more difficult opponent. We readied ourselves, and we put on our war paint before playing QCC. The series did not go so well. In the end, we did not take home the upset victory like last time, but we did bring home our companionship. We stayed in the shit together as a team and we became one with eachother. I will never forget that season as long as I live, but its what game after that was so important. It was time for the draft. I was going to find out where the valient system of drafting would have me ending up. 

The draft was something that was in the back of my mind for the entire season I was in Newfoundland. We had all seen the scouts during the games and we had been sent interview questions by many of them. Regardless to say, we were excited, but also extremely nervous about what might happen. Some of the older folks on the time were already connected with a majors team and they had a lot to say their GMs about the way we acted around the locker-room and on the ice. I had some friends that I had made that I wanted to join more than anything, but I had other friends that I was wary about potentially ending up with. The draft is a very scary time for any rookie as it will likely define your life for a long time to come. The teams that reached out were plentiful and vast, but many made better impressions than others. I told nearly all of them the same thing, however. I am dedicated to my craft, I love the SHL, and I will be around for a long time. The idea of Free Agency is something that has never appealed to me too much. I would much rather stick around with a single team for a long time and become a bit of a franchise player and leader within the organization. That is the role in which I hope to end up one day as a member of the league. I was ready for the draft.

The day was Saturday, and I was ready to be done with the draft process. It had exhausted me and it was finally over. I was going to find out my career place and I was going to stick there. The picks started to fly off the board. Many of the other players that had been on the nationwide Mock Drafts started to find the spot where they would spend their careers. I had no real idea where I was to go in the draft, but I hoped that it would be in a place where I already knew some people. The picks came and came and came, but finally after 15 picks my name was read aloud. Billy Brooks! The kid that had been through so much was finally gonna play in the SHL! 16th overall! I was exasperated. I jumped around and screaming and got really excited. I soon got a phone call from the GM of the Buffalo Stampede. He informed me that he had drafted me and I was to play with the Buffalo Stampede one day. I was so happy and I knew my time had finally come. It is here where I will leave this article, but I do want to thank all of the people who made my SHL career so far successful and meaningful to me. I am looking forward to spending my SHL career with my teammates in Buffalo and I hope to do some good in the future! Thank you for reading and let's go Berserkers and Stampede! Billy Brooks out. 

Code:
1,300 Words x2 Media please!

[Image: image0.gif]
[Image: psdforbrookssiganimatedwhitetext.gif]

Billlyyyyyyyyyy

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

Billyyyyyy

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]