Create Account

S59 LD Artūrs Tumovs road to draft and signing with Anaheim Outlaws

So here I am, sitting on a bench in the park as an Anaheim Outlaws left defenceman, thinking about my recent contract and future that’s waiting for me. I want to tell you my story about how I found my way to Anaheim. My manager won't be happy about this, but who cares. I bet you know that song “I woke up in a new Bugatti”. I woke up in Lambo today. Why do I mention that? Wait, it will make sense later.
From a young age I was interested in sports. I liked football, basketball and hockey. Wasn’t talented in the first two so I started to play hockey more. During school championship three or four years ago I was spotted by Junior Hockey League scouts and they offered me and my parents to join training camp and test my skills, because in his eyes I had potential. So after camp I joined the Division B team. Had some bad seasons and some good seasons. January, my contract is about to expire and my general manager calls me. He said: “Artūrs, good news. I just received a call from Captain Crazy. He manages Flitterwind in SHL. He said that they will draft some new players soon. Your contract will expire soon so you can try your luck.” I said that I will think about it and asked to check that league out. Went to my training, returned home, got shower and called my manager, saying: “Let’s give it a try. Let’s make an application for the draft.”
At this moment things get started. I made an application to the SHL draft, wrote all my abilities, signed and it was done. They said that I made it in time, because there were two weeks until the draft left. I was happy. That could be a brand new start for me. I got my first money, paid for my training and improved my stickchecking skills and learnt how to skate faster. Last week before the draft was intense. I got interviews every day. In total there were some teams interested in me. I gave all the answers they wanted, was excited and then Anaheim Outlaws reached out to me in person of Zomp. After some chatting in Discord, Zomp asked me if I would like to check out team headquarters, meet people from the management team, trainers and current roaster. I agreed and in an hour or two I was walking around, checking out the locker room, hockey hall. I was thinking where I heard Anaheim. And then I remembered - Anaheim Mighty Ducks. I recall watching a movie about them. At that point I knew - I want to go to Outlaws. It was three days before the draft.
Three days flew fast. I met some guys from my draft class. There even were some latvian guys - Aleksandrs Balcers and Janis Lux. I met Janis Lux before so I was pretty excited to meet him again. Organizers showed me my chair at the table near the stage. I was sitting next to Kewk Kekkonen from Finland, Ryuuji Kawashima from Japan (heard he is a center), Daud Ramza, Benjamin Blue II (think, he is a goalie) and two or three guys, can remember their names. Aleksandrs Balcers was sitting near to me at the next table.
Draft evening begins. I was excited for myself and other guys I met. Announcer told us that we are starting in five minutes. Don’t recall everything from that moment till the first draft pick, but I will never forget when the announcer said: “For first pick in the draft Newfoundland Berserkers pick Aleksandrs Balcers”. He stood up, went on the stage and said something. One by one guys at my table stood up and went on stage. Kekkonen was the third pick, Kawashima was fourth pick and he went to Anaheim. I was sure they would pick me too. Daud Ramza was eleventh, he went to Kraken. I was waiting for the next Anaheim pick. So one by one all my mates were picked. I shaked some hands, congratulated them and was waiting for my moment. Benjamin Blue II was sixteenth and went to Kelowna. Twenty first pick. Maybe this is my time. No. Sekai Wollker. Next picks felt like eternity. I was happy with the guys that were picked but I wanted to be picked too. And here it was. The moment. I still hear the announcer voice: “We have another pick in for Anaheim. Anaheim selects left defender Artūrs Tumovs.” At that moment I was pretty excited. I went up, shaked hands and joined my new team. Heard from Janis Lux later that he was drafted as the fifty ninth pick and went to Armada.
Next morning I woke up next to a blonde in her apartment, I think, a Victoria Secret model, checked my phone, my bank account balance and for my surprise it was zero handous, zero money there. I checked my transactions and there it was - I bought a Lambo. Phone shaked, ringtone “Sweet melodies” goes out of it. I picked it up - my manager. Told me to go to Anaheim, sign a rookie contract. So there I was, sitting on a bench in a park, contract signed, I have a Lambo and low on money waiting for some cash flow in. Ace told me that I will get my money soon, training camp starts soon, first games start too. Guess I need to tell Ace that I will live in my Lambo for now because I won't sell that nice red car. So here I am, with no condo in Anaheim but with new Lambo. This is my story. Thanks for having me, Anaheim Outlaws.

*924 words*

[Image: ieNy2MY.jpg]
Not gonna thank anyone