Create Account

The New Contract Dilemma: Prospects

I want to bring to light a new issue that’s arisen with the recent SHL contract changes. I’m sure people have noticed as there’s already been a couple threads from some people. Teams are becoming so cap crunched that they’re having to release prospects and these prospects are sitting in limbo. While I do believe the intended effect of these changes is starting to work, this inadvertent side effect wasn’t foreseen.

I’ll be optimistic and assume HO has already taken notice, but I want to post this so everyone is aware. There’s at least two threads in the media section of players who have been dumped and looking for an SHL team, and I know of a player on Kelowna who is in the same position. I think it’s safe to assume there is more as well, or will be in the coming seasons.

As a member of a team currently in cap hell I don’t think I can offer a valid opinion at the SHL level, but I do believe there should be some leniency for prospects here. Maybe we can give SMJHL teams the option to work with SHL and offer to cover more cap on certain players, or increase the total amount covered on SHL send downs and raise the SMJHL cap. I hope the league is able to come up with a solution for this quickly as no active player should be without a team.

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

I'm gonna come in with a hot take and say prospects shouldn't count against their SHL team's cap hit, full stop.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

02-03-2021, 04:32 PMcharlieconway Wrote: I'm gonna come in with a hot take and say prospects shouldn't count against their SHL team's cap hit, full stop.

I think this might have some unintended consequences but I'm not entirely against it. I think a hard number of prospects per team that don't count might be a better, for example 9 per team or something. But this would also mean that we would have to have a look at junior contracts.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

02-03-2021, 04:32 PMcharlieconway Wrote: I'm gonna come in with a hot take and say prospects shouldn't count against their SHL team's cap hit, full stop.
999 million x 3 years incoming

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

thats just us having 30 draft picks in 2 seasons

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Inactive players should be deleted.

I see where you're going with this, but what's to stop teams from paying their prospects unlimited moneys because it doesn't have any sort of consequences? I guess the solution would be to standardize rookie contracts across the board, but that just removes one of the few advantages barren teams have over loaded ones (more available cap = more money early on in prospect development).

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

02-03-2021, 07:33 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
I see where you're going with this, but what's to stop teams from paying their prospects unlimited moneys because it doesn't have any sort of consequences? I guess the solution would be to standardize rookie contracts across the board, but that just removes one of the few advantages barren teams have over loaded ones (more available cap = more money early on in prospect development).

Standard contract rates, yeah. And I think every new player should have enough money from that contract+fantasy to pay for every cent you'd need to be at the top of your class TPE-wise (training and equipment). I'd want to see money be taken out of the equation as something for new users to grind.

To me, acquiring new players already requires enough capital: you either trade for them or draft them with picks. Requiring (now extremely precious) cap space to give young players a team is a bit superfluous.

For the record, I'm more than fine with the new contract tiers, even with my own team being much better off before the change.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

Why not just offer a flat credit of some kind, eliminating the incentive for inflated contracts?

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France

One thing we could do, not just to deal with this issue but maybe with other cap related problems as well, is detach actual salaries from the cap-hit. So for example, a player in the lowest contract tier would make a guaranteed 3M, but only count for 1M against the cap.

Alternatively we could also make it so that ELCs simply don't count against the cap (while having a max value of 3M or something) - although I'm not quite sure if this would just push back the problem a few seasons, or help with the situation and create interesting decisions.

GMs need to stop handing out 3 year contracts to draftees with no history of making good players.

[Image: 3.png]

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2021, 09:31 PM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

02-03-2021, 09:22 PMJSS Wrote: GMs need to stop handing out 3 year contracts to draftees with no history of making good players.

I completely disagree, every draftee should be given a few seasons to prove himself, even if his chances of suceeding are slim. If anything we should encourage every draftee getting a standard three-season deal instead of those short one or two-season ones that are aimed at squeezing the last bit of value out of the cap. This also gives GMs and incentive to try to keep their prospects happy instead of just dropping them early on when there is a dip in activity or, even worse, not even making a pick even when there are still people on the board who logged in recently.

02-03-2021, 09:29 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
02-03-2021, 09:22 PMJSS Wrote: GMs need to stop handing out 3 year contracts to draftees with no history of making good players.

I completely disagree, every draftee should be given a few seasons to prove himself, even if his chances of suceeding are slim. If anything we should encourage every draftee getting a standard three-season deal instead of those short one or two-season ones that are aimed at squeezing the last bit of value out of the cap. This also gives GMs and incentive to try to keep their prospects happy instead of just dropping them early on when there is a dip in activity or, even worse, not even making a pick even when there are still people on the board who logged in recently.

This is the biggest thing for me.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

Piling on top of this guy, it would also change juniors to actually have to work with a cap, currently the cap strapped juniors teams are the ones who draft a lot of players, the higher tpe teams with lots of send downs have it easier with just a 2m hit per player.

Now on the flip side, I do think teams are being forced to make a hard decision and this is the fallout of top teams choosing to sacrifice prospects for now.

On another side this is supposed to be for fun and players should be able to play where they want.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

This is the entire point of the changes. Teams need to choose between roster players and prospects. If teams choose the roster player then they need to find a new team through FA.

If those players aren't find teams it sounds to me like we need more teams (I already thought this).

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]