Create Account

Shuffleboard Talks New Home; Trade

It's cold. That's what I was told of my new home, a nice little place I found for myself near St. Paul, Minnesota. I grew up near Manhattan, rooting for the Rage, and the NHL's Rangers. I thought New York City had the perfect weather. Playing in Vancouver sure reinforced how cold other places where. But it's the tail end of August right now, and I'm getting ready for my first camp with the Monarchs.

I was drafted my the Buffalo Stampede, a big risk on their side, let's just say that. Just a few short weeks ago I had was about to close a deal on the apartment outside of Buffalo that I was going to rent. I got a call from Tomen. "Hey, we might trade you." I weirdest words I have ever heard in my life. It took a few minutes after the phone call ended until it sunk it.

I was ready to be a member of the Stampede. The team that always competes for the championship. Nobody seems to know how. An aging roster, yes, but a good one. I was ready for a tough battle for minutes. I knew powerplay time probably wouldn't happen as a rookie. I was ready to play on a sheltered third line getting maybe 14 minutes a game, quite a bit down from the 23 minutes I played for the Whalers this season. The three minutes of powerplay time, leading to 18 of my 44 points, would not happen. But I was ready for all that. In the name of competing for a championship, there would be no reason to get upset.

"Hey, Shuff the Monarchs are going to reach out to you." A quick conversation later, I knew I had work to do. My season in Vancouver was over, I had begun writing my goodbye letter. That went to the garbage by accident (and I had to restart a few days ago here in Minnesota) as I tried to find all the stuff in Buffalo I had to cancel now, and what I needed to find in Minnesota. Where the players stay for example. In Buffalo I had learned that at my first training camp. Now I needed more than a hotel room for a couple weeks, I needed a real place to live, and I had no idea where I'd start looking.

Getting trading was an odd experience. You get used to a team for a few seasons. Learn the veterans, get hazed a bit (they save the real stuff for the real rookies, not the senddowns though). You have some fun with them as they win a championship, maybe you even predicted it when they were down 3-2 and the room needed a breath of fresh air. You spend your time in the minors and it's finally your time to shine. And then the phone call comes. It's a different team. A whole new room with new veterans.

Minnesota isn't going to be the same as Buffalo. The division is an odd case with the Edmonton cap thing and Calgary getting older, on a technical level we could try to sneak into the playoffs. This isn't Buffalo where the playoffs where a given, and a semi-final loss would be a disappointment. The battle is still for playing time- I have a chance to slot in the second pairing, play maybe 20ish minutes. The powerplay can be in reach, Mathis Seager would probably quarterback the top unit, but I could see myself getting some time on the second.

To all the fans in Buffalo, I'm sorry I never got to play for you. It is my wish that the first round pick that you recieve for me does turn into a good player. I want this trade to be one that both teams look back on as a success.
To the GMs WBF, Tomen, the coach fishy, and all the teammates that I never got to play with in a game, I'm going to miss you guys. I can't say the return isn't pretty good for me, you did a good job turning a S55 third rounder into a S62 first, which is good asset management. You took the chance on me back in S55 and for that I have nothing but nice things to say about my time as a Stampede send down, I'm going to miss you guys! See you on the ice!

To the fans in Minnesota, get ready for a rookie campaign for the ages. They say offensive builds don't usually work well as a rookie in the SHL. I think it's a great time to put that theory to bad. Let's go Monarchs!

---------------------
781 words. No that's not a real quote from Tomen
Stampede Monarchs

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: uNh8ZtE.png]

Cheers

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

Good luck in Minnesota!

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

Monarchs Monarchs Monarchs

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

Can't wait to see how your rookie season goes. I know we are excited to have you on the team.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Welcome to Minny!

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty