Create Account

Locker Room Talk Featuring Nat Emerson

Both on the SHL and IIHF ice, Nat Emerson is a proven leader with a great personality. Loyal, hard working and positive are some words Nat's peers would say this best describe the type of person Nat is. While Baltimore and Latvia are not in the spotlight too much as of late, somehow Nat always seems to find it. Doesn't matter if it's setting franchise records or leading his nation in points for the round robin, if there's good press going around there's a high chance Nat is involved. With the off season slowly finishing, we thought touching base with Nat would be a good idea and allow the SHL to peak into the thoughts of Emerson going into S58.

Interview Thank you for talking with us Nat, we are all big fans of you down at the studio here. So what's the secret? Latvia won the most games they have ever won since the switch to fhm and you're leading the charge. You finished with the best shooting percentage among defenders, most goals as a defender while being tied for the most points, 2nd most shots blocked with 61, double the take aways compared to give aways and finished 6th in hits among your fellow defencemen. The world wants to know, after coming off of the harshest regression you've face in your career, you manage to pull of this stellar performance. how'd you do it?

Quote: First of all a huge part of my success is owed to the Latvian team. We are a very young team that is getting better every season.
I've been focused on keeping my game up as best I can in regression. The defensive side of the game has always been my strong point. My offensive stats I'd throw up to good old fashioned puck luck.

Interview Such a humble answer from a true leader. You know you can flaunt your skills a bit, after all you've put in the work to get to where you are today. I hope the boys in Baltimore are treating you well. So looking over your career, you've now played over 12 years of hockey, how much longer do you think you can keep this up?

Quote: Time flies for sure. I am in the twilight of my career but I still feel like I have a lot in the tank. Ideally I'd like to play and grab a couple more records for the Platoon. I recently grabbed the record for shot blocks. I'd really like to take the record for most games played. In the end I'll keep playing until I'm no longer useful in the league. Then my corpse can be dragged off the ice.

Interview Ah I love it! And another record, jeez I'm starting to lose count for how many you have now. I see a number retirement in the future and maybe a street named after you as well. Jumping back to this year's IIHF tourney, some would argue you have a legitimate chance at winning the best defender award again in S57. Who would you say is the race with you for the S57 IIHF best defender award and how would you describe the situation?

Quote: I would say that Germany's Cassius Darrow is in the race. I wouldn't say that I'm better than Darrow. I have the edge in raw numbers but he outshines me in the advanced stats. He certainly had a great tournament

Interview "having the edge" in numbers is an understatement. You have almost double his shots blocked, you have more goals/points, your take away to give away ratio is wayyy better then his since Darrow's is in the negatives, having 5 give aways and 3 take aways and you out hit him. The only thing he's really got on you is the +/- stat since Germany has a more developed team. I hope teams can see what you brought to the table even though Latvia was not as successful as Germany this tournament. Moving on, after you won the award back in S55, did you ever think you'd be in the running for it again?

Quote: To be honest I never even expected to win back in S55 let alone be back in the hunt again. I'm just happy to still be productive at this level.

Interview @JR95 when you drafted this kid back in S45 did you have to teach Nat how to be this humble or is this just the usual? I tease of course, but I think everyone in Baltimore and Latvia are amazed at the level you continue to play at. Speaking of Baltimore, what can you tell us about the team going into S58? What are your predictions on the individual and team level?

Quote: We are improving every season in Baltimore. We are a very young team outside of me, haha. We are all motivated to build the team up and are on the right path to success. For me I expect another year of being near the top of the SHL in shot blocks. I doubt I'll lead the Platoon in points again but who knows. For the team I think you will see us make a big jump from last season and make the Atlantic a lot more interesting.

Interview Well Nat we appreciate yo taking the time out of your busy schedule to come sit down with us. Before we go, just a little fun fact for you. Have you visited Latvia since you won the award back in S55? I heard for the next couple of months people in Latvia would wear your jersey like they'd wear a suit into the office, your sales were up 35%! Not sure if you were aware of that.

Quote: I haven't but I think I'll have to make a trip over to Latvia before the SHL season starts!

Interview Well when you do go I'm sure the arena vodka sponsor Stolichnaya will have a very nice welcome gift for you. Good luck in S58 Nat and we can't wait to see what is next for you.

Code:
1000 words, please split 50/50 with Thelastheraclid for their contribution to this article

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]