Create Account

S58 SMJHL PT #3 - Adversary Analysis

Quote:Written Option: Write about teams that your SMJHL team or player have either performed especially well or poorly against so far this season. What do you think are the reasons for the results going like they did? (150+ words)

The Anaheim Outlaws have had a tough series of games against the Newfoundland Berserkers. They have played 5 games against each other so far and the Berserkers have won every game so far. So far in twp home games and two away games the Berserkers have outscored the Outlaws 25 to 10. With scorelines (2-5, 4-8, 1-4, 2-5, 1-3) on average the Berserkers score 3 more goals than the Outlaws in a given game. The obvious reason is that the Outlaws are having a struggle season so far with 15 points it puts them down as the second worst team. However they are likely one of the most young teams in the league and have a ton of activity with those young players. Their d-line is almost completely filled out with first years who have been active in training and in the locker room and in a season or two you might see this defense being the best in league. Same goes for the offensive a ton of young players who are in their first year and if they continue growing can create a lethal offense.

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

ISFL affiliate PT

[Image: wfm-sig.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

I'm a very new player for the Newfoundland Berserkers but I've already gotten a taste of how hard it is to beat the Anchorage Armada, they're the defending champs for a reason. We only have one win against them in our past 5 games despite us being the stronger team in the standings so far this year. On a my positive note, my player, Samuel Savage actually got his first career assist against the Armada in our most recent 4-3 loss. That alone will always make this a special match-up to me but going forward you'd like to see us be a little more competitive against them. Looking at the stats, we actually out rank them in a vast majority of categories but for some reason when we're actually on the ice with them, that all seems to go our the window.

It's one of the biggest clichés in hockey but what a lot of it comes down to is just getting pucks to the net, we're ranked 3rd in goals this season while they find themselves at just 9th, however we haven't scored more than three goals against them and even in a game where we held them to just one goal they still came away with the win by shutting us out. We have plenty of offensive firepower and I think we just need to be aggressive in using it, my player is an agitator and I think that's the type of role that can really succeed in these matchups, as evidenced by my assist. There is a tendency for teams to play a bit intimidated or passive against defending champs and there's just no room for that against a team like Anchorage, you gotta have guys who are willing to do the dirty work and get into the tough positions to not only help out defensively but free up our offensive superstars.

[Image: YADp0uU.png][Image: BxfKXyg.png][Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Much to the chagrin of the head of player progression; one mister GWDJohnson. My Carolina Kraken have been absolutely killing his Anchorage Armada this season. The Anchorage Armada were lucky enough to barely eek out a win in the first meeting of the season as they put in one goal against Ragnar-Alexandre Ragnarsson-Tremblay. However, since then they have experienced nothing but woe when facing their opponents from under the sea. Game two saw them lose four to three at home. Game three saw the Kraken pull away once again with a three to two win. Now there are still three more meetings for these two teams, but I would argue that this series is the best to display for these two teams as the former champions have seen the Kraken struggle with their new acquisitions in this season, yet still cannot seem to put them away. Furthermore, it just seems fitting to me that the boats cannot seem to overcome the magnificent Kraken.

Code:
163 Words

[Image: blasoon.gif]

This has been a bit of a rough start to the season for everyone involved with the Anaheim organization, but that doesn’t mean that the team is hanging their heads and accepting defeat. Multiple players are getting to the rink an hour early each day and trying to get that extra work in to get better, stronger, faster, and help put Anaheim into a better position to succeed. The one team that Matej feels has been an adversary for him this season, young as it is, is the Vancouver Whalers. Anaheim has won (and lost) against Vancouver, but what frustrates Matej is the fact that they haven’t won every time against them. He feels that they’re a team that the Outlaws should have a strong advantage against each time they’re on the ice, and it’s frustrating for him to feel like he isn’t living up to expectations and the team’s potential when they lose to the Whalers and he doesn’t play that well. There are still opportunities to rectify these feelings this year, and Matej looks forward to getting back on the ice and hopefully being able to contribute to more strong team wins, especially against Vancouver.
Word count: 197

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Ever since his DFA campaign, Alexis Saint-Michel has felt a certain rivalry brewing against the Colorado Raptors. While he does share the traditional rivalry the Whalers have with the Anchorage Armada, it has been the Raptors that Saint-Michel wants to beat. It started back during his DFA days when he went toe to toe with his fellow touted draft prospect, Ryuji Kawashima. ASM and Kawashima would score 5 and 4 points respectively during their campaigns and thus a sort of rivalry/friendship developed between the two.
Now with Kawashima in Anaheim, ASM faces another highly touted prospect, Fedor Sotakov. These two players have been battling it out for the rookie of the year award and have been neck and neck in points scoring. ASM really wanted to do well against the Raptors but it hasn’t been easy. It has become a joke around Vancouver that the Raptors are, in actuality, The Yanno Rosejac show featuring the Colorado Raptors for his almost mythical ability to steal games despite unfavourable shot totals. But recently, ASM was able to break through.
On a back to back series which was split between the two teams, ASM would score back to back hat tricks which would thrust him near the top of the leaderboard for goals in all of the SMJHL. With more battles with this team to come, ASM is hungry for more points against his main rival team.

**234 Words**
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2021, 11:56 PM by BoloBill.)

ISFL PT

Username: Billybolo53

ISFL Welfare

[Image: qWestSHL.gif]
[Image: cEbgUph.png][Image: pPWkZOM.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png][Image: h2OFdMh.png]

The Newfoundland Berserkers and the Maine Timber are two teams that reside in the Atlantic North East division of the SMJHL alongside the Quebec City Cittadelles. With both teams having undergone rebrands in the early S50s, this rivalry due to proximity is fresh as can be. At the time of writing this, the two teams have played three games against one another in S58, with three games left to play before the season's end. The first game between the two was the tightest of the three, with Newfoundland edging out Maine by a score of 1-0, with Jesse Trudeau scoring the game-winner despite a strong performance from Maine goalie Bigga Foryu. The next time they met the Berserkers began showing their dominance over the Timber with a 6-1 victory. Five different goal scorers, with Ric Charlesworth being the only one with a double, led Newfoundland to this win. Lastly, the Berserkers recently shut the Timber out 4-0 but the story of the game was the shot totals. 51-5 in favor of Newfoundland-based franchise as Maine struggled to get anything going. In this last game, Balcers was the prominent player for the Berserkers, scoring twice and assisting once, six shots on goal, during just under twenty minutes of ice time.

Coming out of the preseason, it was obvious that the Falcons had showed their firepower early and often, which continues to help get rookie Podan Podanović thrive in net - not only in relief during blowouts, but as a staple of the Detroit Falcons lockdown defense, and an anchor in the locker room.

Podan Podanović's second start came against the Quebec City Citadelles. One of the scarier, more intense, fire power loaded teams in the league, Podan was not intimidated (as he truly never is). Having seen it all from his childhood in Eastern Europe to his struggles to immigrate and his recent visa issues, the Quebec City Citadelles did not stand a chance against him. Taking it personally that his parents were denied entry into Canada, and that locals laughed at his English and French accents (you try speaking three languages??), Podan LOCKED DOWN in net, with almost 40 saves as the second star.

Stagnant offense lead to a draw after three periods of play, costing Podan a win in the amazing effort, and Podan will not forget how Quebec City Citadelles acted in the blowout, making them a nemesis for life.

ISFL affiliate

Speedwagon Player Page | Speedwagon Updates Page 

[Image: speedwagongifsig.gif]

[Image: GoonerBear.gif]

Well, Maine is a rebuilding team right now so obviously we've had a few teams that "have our number" so far, but one that has stood out to me while I was watching is the Quebec City Citadelles. They are one of the better teams in the SMJHL - a 25-4-4 record against our 6-24-2 record, so that also makes sense, but against a lot of teams we've been able to be competitive. Against Quebec, we're 0-4 and have been completely blown out a couple of times, with 6-1 and 7-0 losses. We've only scored 4 goals in 4 games against them and on my end, I've only got 1 point in those 4 games. Obviously we have a long way to go to be a contender at this level, but that was to be expected coming into the year. On a bit of a brighter note, the last time we played them we did manage to keep it close with a 2-1 loss, which is a positive sign for us! We've been improving as the year has gone on despite our record and in a season or two I think we'll be in the situation Quebec is right now.

Code:
199 words

As a rookie defenseman on the team with the most goals against in the entire league it is hard to say there is any teams I am playing well against, especially being on the top d-pairing leading the way for Anaheim's struggles. I've noticed as a team we keep it tight against Quebec City. Quebec is the best team in the league so the fact that we haven't gotten blown out in our three matchups is promising even if we are 0-3. One thing I've noticed about my individual performance is that my own performance is usually a sign of how the team plays. There has been a couple games where I've scored off of point shots on my first shift and we usually go on to win those games easily. A team that we have struggled more than most against is Newfoundland, we've played them 5 times already and have yet to pick up a win. This includes multiple blowouts where we stood no chance.

[Image: mikelis.jpg?ex=660c1ce5&is=65f9a7e5&hm=c...4a38cd630&]

Detroit had a pretty rough start which was really surprising considering the roster on paper. Expectations for this season were pretty high and the team has started putting things together lately. One of the reason of this slow start could be because of their five s59 freshmen making too many mistakes and having a difficult time to adjust their play to the SMJHL. All of them seem to be fast learner though so expect a much better 2nd half. The Falcons record now stands at 17-11-4, good for 3rd place in the East division. Three of those wins came against the Colorado Raptors who is the only team still winless against Detroit. The final scores of those games were 6-2, 4-1, 3-2. We definitely seem to be their kryptonite even though both teams look pretty similar. Reasons to explain this are quite unknown to me, it's gotta have to with line settings so credit to our coaching staff.

[Image: opt6vpu.jpg]

Makrus has known many defeats. One adversary has beaten him down time and time again in his short time in the SMJHL. Makrus hasn’t hit the ice yet. He wasn’t in the draft. This adversary kept him from making it that far. This adversary has held Makrus back on and off the ice. Every face off his adversary holds him back. Every shot his adversary tries to block. Every good thing in Makrus’s life his adversary strives to take away. Makrus’s adversary is of course himself. His own doubt, his own fear, his own questionable choices with law enforcement. Makrus missed the draft because he wouldn’t let himself try out of fear, but no more. Makrus is a free agent. He will find a team. He will win his faceoffs. He will take every shot given to him. He will no longer be held back by fear or doubt. When you see Makrus on the ice, know that he has already overcome his greatest adversary, so you should be afraid now.

[Image: qm0v49d.png]