Create Account

S58 PT #3 Storylines

Within Edmonton, the biggest story line has to be around Barrett Blackwood proving that he is going to be a long-time top player around the league. Well, that or Peter Ramsay's ability to stabilize the net in his rookie season following the loss of Emiko Spector. Well, or William Hartmann being a top-tier goal scorer in just their 3rd SHL season. I mean, shit, all of the have very valid arguments for being the story for the Blizzard so far.

Blackwood was the MIP/Bounceback player a couple seasons ago and has carried that forward with a strong start to the season as an offensive threat. Same thing with Hartmann as they have a strong goal-scoring touch. Beyond that they play equal time on the PK and PP showing strong two-way prowess despite being a potent scorer.

Around the league it's hard not to focus on the Great Lakes as the real story, and that shouldn't surprise anyone who was paying attention before the season started. Toronto has surged into the spotlight after a very solid season left them on the outside looking in (division format stinky) and Hamilton is continuing to prove they might just be the best team out there. That leaves Buffalo and Chicago, the reigning champions, fighting for that 3rd spot currently. There's not too much I can add do that but most GL games are must watches due to the potential drama and hilarity that could come from different outcomes with the divison that could have sweeping league changes if they continue to be the best 4 teams in the East.

Code:
250 words

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

pt pass

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

The most surprising storyline of this season has got to be the San Francisco Pride and the New Orleans Spectres.  No one is surprised by the Pride being bad, but they're better than we all thought! Somehow 22 games into the season SFP isn't the worst team in the league.  Sure they're tied for the fewest points, but tiebreakers put them above NOLA!  How is it that a team is able to outsuck the Pride? It honestly blows my mind and has serious potential to mess with my season predictions.  Unfortunately I don't know what to root for here because I'm a big fan of the people in the Pride organization, but also I'd do dirty dirty things for some TPE now that my rookie season is underway and I'm bad at fake hockey it seems.  The good news for my future TPE is that it seems like NOLA's time in the basement is heavily influenced by some bad luck with their 3 OT losses.  If they had been able to squeak out a win in just one of those games, then they'd leapfrog SFP.  But as things stand now with 1/3 of the games played NOLA outsucking SFP is a surprising storyline.

One of the big storylines this season is for sure the hot start of the Toronto North Stars. They are just 1 point behind the Steelhawks with one game in hand. The Great Lake division got just crazier with Toronto improving. At the moment we would have playoffs without the defending champion from Chicago. We will see if Toronto could keep up their play and stay at their position, would be a great story if they could do it. The other big story isn’t one that surprise anybody. The Texas Renegades are the best team in the western conference this season. But while everyone expected that old boy Kvalheim with his wingers Kekkonen and Wachter would carry the team, it is someone that nobody expected. Texas 3rd line center Edward Williams has a career breaking season. After 21 games the young gun holds by 13 goals and 17 assists and is on his way for a 94-point season. I wish him all the luck to get there, he deserved it.

[Image: wachter3.png]
Alexander Wachter, RW, S51
Carolina Kraken - Texas Renegades - Winnipeg Aurora 
Player Page // Update Page

Well, clearly the biggest story from the first third of the season is the breakout performances from QCC's second year winger, Mew Two. He has performed spectacularly thus far in the season, and is currently third in points in the entire SMJHL. With ten goals and 13 assists, good for 23 points, he is just a point back of second place and two points from tying the league leader in points. Mew Two has six points on the powerplay, two goals and four assists, whereas the two players in front of him have seven and 10 points respectively, so mew two probably is the league leader in even strength points. Additionally, Mew Two is only averaging 16:50 of ice time, while both players ahead of him are averaging more ice time than him. Mew Two has fantastic line mates that contribute great assists and score off of mew two's excellent passes, so it is not a one man effort.

[Image: 4x2jj4a.gif]
S58 Elias Armia Award Winner

I think the biggest storyline has to be the Toronto North Stars. I wrote an article about how people were sleeping on us and we lowkey could make some noise. I am here to tell you that even we didn't know in the locker room how good we were going to start. I know it's early and a lot can change but we are looking like a solid playoff contender right now and are threatening to make the playoffs in the dreaded Great Lakes Division. I think seeing the success of our team surprised a lot of people this year and caught them off guard. What we having gone in Toronto is amazing and hopefully, this isn't just a lucky run but we can have sustained success this year but also in the future moving forward. Anyone else surprised by the sudden success of the North Stars?

[Image: gurbs.gif]

The biggest storyline in the SMJHL right now is the dominant play of the Newfoundland Berserkzers. With a record of 16 and 6, they currently have the third most points in the league. They have scored 81 goals and only given up 44. To put their goal scoring in perspective, they scored 161 goals all of last season. However, through 22 games this campaign, they already have half that number. With 44 games remaining, they should shatter last years total. They already have 12 skaters with 10 or more points on the season. Both netminders are playing lights out, and both Hugo Gronroos and Evgeni Petrov have a goals against average under 2. Bas O'Bigbers is having an MVP type season, as well as is Ric Charlesworth. As the season goes on, the pressure will continue to mount in Newfoundland. In their last 2 games, they outshot their opponents 105 to 24. They have looked unbeatable at times, but the season is young. It will be interesting to see how long they keep this up. It has been fun to watch.

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2021, 10:09 PM by charlieconway.)

Quote:The season is just about 1/3 through and teams and players are starting to settle in. What do you think is the biggest storyline so far this season? Do you think it will continue? (150+ words)

When I joined the Toronto North Stars, I knew that we’d eventually be a strong team with how many well-earning actives we had. Well, fast forward a season later and I think we’re one of the biggest storylines this season. I expected Toronto to be contending with the other Great Lakes teams for a playoff spot around Season 59 and 60, but this seems like it’s coming to fruition a season early. I’m overjoyed at how well the team has played.
But if you expand your viewpoint out a little, I think the biggest storyline is the fact that a team that winds up with 90+ points is going to miss the playoffs. Now, that could still be us, but even if it’s not, I think that’s something that needs to be changed. Having a top-5 team in the league miss the playoffs is absurd, and not something the league can afford to have happening IMO. I expect this to become more prevalent of an issue as the end of the regular season approaches and people start seeing the disparity in full effect.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

So far the biggest storyline in the SHL is how close the Great Lakes division is. This doesn't seem all that big since it's been this way for quite a few seasons now, but this season I'm noticing it more since Chicago might be the team that falls out of the playoffs due to this divisio when in the past Toronto has mostly been the unlucky team that ends up being on the bottom of this powerhouse. As of right now, the standings are Hamilton in 1st with 38 points in 23 games, Toronto in 2nd with 37 points in 22 games, Buffalo in 3rd with 32 points in 25 games, and Chicago in 4th with 31 points in 23 games. This is an incredibly tight race and one that any team can come out on the bottom of, but as of right now it's looking like Buffalo or Chicago will be one of those teams. The kicker is that the top 4 teams in the Great Lakes are also the top 4 teams in the Eastern conference, and 4 of the top 5 teams in the entire league.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

I think it has been great to see what kind of season the Toronto North Stars are having. Pretty much since the time I signed up for the SHL, the Stars have struggled to gain footing and become a dominant team. So, now that I see that they have risen up the rankings I can't help but feel happy for them. When I first came into the league I wanted to join Toronto because I have always been a fan of Toronto teams, which is why I was so happy to be drafted by them. This wasn't meant to be because I was literally traded the next day to the Panthers (and I'm really happy I was), but since then I have always kept Toronto on my radar and watched them from afar. It was tough to see so many losing seasons, especially since my friend Carpy has been such a force for them. But now it seems like they have finally broken through and I do hope that this run continues for them. I want us Panthers to win it all, of course, but if it's Toronto that does it instead then they will have me in the crowd cheering for them.

207 words

[Image: p82ugau.png]

I think the biggest storyline that has been developing is the rise and fall of Phineas Gold. Closing in on being one of those elite of the elites with 2k tpe and he is just not producing as much as a hyper offensive player should. What is going on back there in his head? Certain rumors have started that Phineas himself is being targeted by outside forces who are trying to quiet the center who is just reaching peak form. Not so much that he should be throwing games, but rather it is more of a psychological attack that is hampering him. I think it will turn around for our intrepid hero and in the middle of the season he will break out with a vengeance. Until that moment, you should drop him from your fantasy teams while the Manhattan Rage take this time to figure out what is going wrong with their play style.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

One third of the way through the SHL season there are some surprises for sure. Firstly, Toronto's current place in the eastern conference standings is quite the surprise. Despite Buffalo and defending champion Chicago having two of the strongest rosters in the league, Toronto has opened up a pretty significant 5 and 6 point standings lead over those two teams. Beyond their astounding lead over two top notch rosters, Toronto is also just 1 point behind the SHL's front running Hamilton Steelhawks.

In fact, Toronto's success is even more impressive when you consider that they haven't had the most dominant offensive output. However, on the other side of the coin they have been incredibly impressive on the defensive side of the puck. Carpet has been solid between the pipes, and the North Stars have allowed only 46 goals through 22 contests. Only Chicago has managed a better goals against figure so far this season.

With plenty of hockey left, it will be interesting to see how the rest of the eastern conference schedule shakes out. Will Toronto maintain their strong pace and leave Buffalo and Chicago behind and compete with Hamilton for the leagues best record?

(200 words)

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

I think the biggest storyline right now is the rise of the North Stars. We've been so used to the same teams dominating the Eastern Conference, it felt like there would be no change at the top of the division. Hamilton, Buffalo, and Chicago have each reigned supreme and separated themselves from the rest of the pack. However, this season, another team finally cracked through the ceiling. Welcome the Toronto North Stars.

Led by arguably the best goalie tandem in the league, The North Stars are second in the East, just one point behind perennial powerhouses the Hamilton Steelhawks. Toronto is ahead of Buffalo and Chicago and have shown no signs of slowing down. The East is in desperate need of another team showing up and causing chaos. They need to give hope to the other teams that it's possible to pass those big 3. Now, Buffalo and Chicago are still hot on the tail, but it's going to be a fascinating to watch this race down the stretch to the playoffs.

(172 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
0-0-0
Regular Season - [G 0] [A 0] [Pts 0] [+/- 0] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 0]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

The biggest storyline in this 58th season has to be the seeming arrival to true contendership of Toronto and Texas. Both teams have been committed to a thorough rebuild over the last decade or so and are now looking ready to earn their place among the league’s true elite for the foreseeable future. They have spent years collecting and developing high potential players through the draft and have lately begun to also augment the few remaining areas of weakness through a few smart trades (most notably for elite defenseman Adam Barron by Toronto and young goaltending phenom Cillian Kavanagh by Texas) to bring in some crucial final pieces to really kick their contendership into high gear. While last season was still a bit of a warning shot by both, they have both really stormed out of the gates in their respective conferences this season, Texas stringing together 9 consecutive wins and Toronto topping even that with a whopping 10-game win streak to start the season. While Toronto has since been caught up by one of their bitter Great Lakes division rivals Hamilton in the Eastern conference, Texas leads the Western conference by a fair 5 points at the 1/3 mark of the season. Neither team can afford to let up though, as the competition for those top spots is now perhaps stronger than ever with them in it as well and they need to keep up their pace to prove their worthiness of being considered true contenders from now on. The way they are built now, though, inspires confidence that they will succeed in proving it for a long time to come.

(275 words)

[Image: 63647_s.gif]
Forge  S69 Challenge Cup Champion - Philadelphia Forge   Forge
Renegades Renegades  S59 & S62 Challenge Cup Champion - Texas Renegades  Renegades  Renegades 
 Armada  S57 Four Star Cup Champion - Anchorage Armada  Armada 
Finland  Finland  S57 & S58 WJC / S62, S64 & S66 IIHF Gold Medalist - Team Finland   Finland  Finland
[Image: kLRJavo.png]       [Image: ZjgHcNL.png]
After 69 shots on net with still no SHL goals to show for it, even the opposition started to feel so sorry for Lemo, that they decided to help him out :D
- Bad pass by Jack Klompus, he gave it right to Lemo Pihl.
- Lemo Pihl rips it to the net...
- Lemo Pihl will find the empty net, that should do it!
TEX @ MAN, S59 game 31

The biggest story line for the Simulation Hockey League this season, yet again, is the fact that the Great Lakes are dominating the Eastern Conference and there will be an elite team who misses the play offs yet again. It is a literal toss up in the Great Lakes division currently. The worst team, the Chicago Syndicate, has 31 points in 23 games. Which is still 6 points better than the top team in the Atlantic Division, the Manhattan Rage who currently sit with 25 points in 22 games. It's only going to get tighter as the season goes along. We very well could have a team get over 80 points and not get into the playoffs. If you compare this to the Western Conference, only the Texas Renegades have earned over 30 points this season, with 34 points in 21 games played. The Edmonton Blizzard are close behind with 29 points in 22 games. However you want to break it down. Any team in the Great Lakes Division would be in either a number one or number two position in any other division in the Simulation Hockey League.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland