Create Account

S58 PT #4 Redesigning the Rink

After the Simulation Hockey League got picked up by FOX, the network heads decided that regular hockey was not good enough for their viewers. In a day-long meeting with the executive- and creative heads of the network, FOX decided to pick it up a notch and introduce Power Rangers vibes to the sport. Players will not control a giant robot, one of three based on their position. All three ice rangers have a special ability built in them. Goalies now have the ability to shutdown a small portion of the goal completely, defenders have the ability to cause some serious damage with their superchecking ability. Forwards have a special button on their stick which amplifies their shot, whether its wristshot, snapshot or a slapshot, the button has three switches for all the shot types. Deflecting is not affected by the button. All games will now partake on ice rinks as big as 10 american football stadions, and all spectators will be given binoculars in order for them to be able to see the action better. Maintenance budget has been updated by 20,000% in order for the sport to be able to continue if successful for the consumers.

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2021, 05:02 AM by Henrik.)

Well, first of all I would like to take this opportunity to add lots of futuristic elements to the game. Most of them should make zero sense and add nothing to the game other than a sense of strangeness, as is tradition. I would begin with making the protective equipment a little bulkier, mainly around the shoulders, in order to make the silhouettes seem a little less human. I would move to might tighter uniforms, preferably of some kind of fancy stretch material. Next I would add spikes. Spikes to the sticks, spikes to the side of the rink, spikes on the skates. Spikes everywhere. I would also like to see a few ice trampolines, giving players the ability not only go through the defence, but also over them. Maybe add some laser pointers to the helmets. I think that would really help to create that futuristic early 90's feel that adds absolutely nothing to the game but makes it look odd. Maybe double the size of the rink and bend it into a semi doughnut. Adding a third team of bruisers that are only on the ice to create chaos and destroy anything that moves is also way overdue in hockey I think, so I would definitely add that. Maybe with sticks shaped like axes. Finally, I think adding a holographic interface to the inside of the visors and a com-system to the helmet would seal the deal.

I would call it, Kill hockey.

[Image: JvI8fTp.png]

[Image: 9tINabI.png] [Image: c97iD9R.png]

[Image: uDjThoa.png]

The rinks that the SHL uses are now going to be balanced on a large ball in order to make the play more exciting. This means that the rink will not be balanced, and will tip depending on where the players are positioned on the ice. It will make scoring goals a lot harder and the results of play will be a lot more unpredictable than the fans are typically used to when watching the games. The ice will no longer be white also, it will have different coloured flashing neon lights underneath which will ne used to try and throw the players off their game a little bit and make for a cooler viewing experience for the fans. Additionally, the puck that the SHL uses will change colour from the traditional black, and will change on a season to season basis. This season will see the league use a very nice hot pink colour for example. It's hoped that these changes will give rise to an increased amount of interest and unpredictability in the league and help to try and make sure that the league doesn't lose any of its viewership in the upcoming seasons.

Code:
196 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2021, 09:33 PM by _Blitz_.)

Looking at TPE comparisons between the SHL and NHL, I'm not sure how "second fiddle" we'd actually be. While there are players in the NHL with skills higher than the cap in the SHL will allow (McDavid, Doughty, and Kucherov are the ones I can recall off the top of my head), there are more 1800 to 2000 TPE range players in the SHL than the NHL. 

But that's not the point task. The main changes I'd make would be in rink dimensions. For reference, the NHL uses a 200 foot by 85 foot rink. Each team's zone is 64 feet long, with 11 feet behind the goal. The neutral zone is 50 feet wide. Each face off circle is 30 feet in diameter. 

I propose 112 foot by 85 foot rinks. Each team's zone and the neutral zone becomes 30 feet long. Keep the 11 foot space behind the net. It should look something like this.

[Image: 6mP5DMM.png]

Ideally, we can also get rid of icing and offsides rules as well.

The main objective in this change is making a faster, more physical game. Hockey is already a fast sport on 200 feet, almost halving that space is going to force the game to be faster. Smaller play techniques also matter more; passes don't have to be as long, but turnovers get into your zone faster. Hits derail play a little more. Goalies are going to get shelled, but more goals is considered more entertaining for live audiences. Getting rid of offsides and icing also means that play stops less frequently.

With these changes, SHL hockey would become a fast-paced, highly physical, nearly continuous game with high score totals. It would be hell to actually play in, but a ton of fun to watch.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

I strongly reject the notion that the SHL is second fiddle to the NHL, our league is very popular both in North America and around the world with a much more diverse group of players that makes it easier to appeal to very different audiences than your classic sports league like the NHL. But alas, if that new contract requires us to make some changes then so be it. So what do we do? One interesting thing I just saw in Formula E this weekend was audience participation, where the fans could give their favorite driver, or in our case player or team, a small edge by interacting with the broadcast through things like votings. The SHL could do something similar, maybe once a game an extra PP will be given to the team whose fans turned out in higher numbers compared to their season average, or they get to vote which players are supposed to be on the ice in certain situations like the shootout.

PT pass

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

Everybody loves extreme sports. And with the SHL finally getting picked up by a major cable network, things are about to get a lot more spicier in the league as a whole. You see, the idiots at the cable network that bought the SHL's television rights decided, "let's make this league XTREME for the dumbass viewers at home who don't know anything about hockey" and are forcing the league to make some sort of addition to make the league XTREME. So first we have to change our name to the XSHL (XTREME Simulation Hockey League). Then, we add ice ramps to the rink to allow players to do crazy skateboard-esque tricks, and if you score after landing said trick you get an extra point tacked on to your goal (so say you do a 360-degree dick flip then score while it's tied 1-1; your team is now winning 3-1). With that addition the league will be way more XTREME and visually appealing to dumb people.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Welcome to the new era of EXTREME HOCKEY. For the purpose of this rebrand, the SHL will be changing the league name to the eSHL. The little "e" is because the league will be a little extreme. Like when people say "Isn't that a little much". The change that is happening to the league is that every player is being outfitted with exoskeletons that will automatically even the playing field. Everyone will be skating around like they are the best player to ever hit the ice. This will make the players faster and stronger. Now when someone gets hit they will go flying! But this is all ok because we have replaced the boards of the rink with foam so that people checking too hard will have a soft landing. When everyone can skate like the greats, then everyone is having more fun. Including the fans! It's fool proof.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2021, 10:17 AM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

Code:
Graphic task: Show me a mockup of the a new, "extreme" SHL arena or equipment.

[Image: image0.jpg]

If you’re talking about extreme than look no further than the Big-Parm arena.. one of the leagues newest stadiums (built in S47) and one of the most forward leaning coliseum’s as the top of the stadium is covered by a giant chicken Parm sandwich. Calgary brought in the top scientists around the globe to find a coolant system capable of keeping the #Delicious Parm cheese above from gooing on to the ice. Amongst other extreme additions to the Big-Parm are the green pastures located at the top left of the stadium. Is that clucking you hear??...Yes! the roof of the Big Parm contains an actual free range chicken farm hosted by Dragon chef Kata Vilde because the Calgary Dragons believe in supporting home grown Alberta livestock. For more information on this extreme SHL arena, visit the Dragons Section on the forum.

[Image: BRZxxFv.png]

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

The SHL has got a new TV deal with Eurosport. To make TV product more appealing, SHL has decided to change the size of ice. From this onward, SHL will be played on large ice or rink, whatever you want to call it because Eurosport is a European based TV company and most viewers are in Europe. That's why they want to see ice-hockey on large ice instead of a North American small one. Larger ice also gives more room to best players show their virtuality on ice. Viewers will get more entertainment, goals, tricks and highlights during games. Viewers don't pay about games which are played in tight rinks and goal totals will be low. They will pay about games which are played on large ice and like I said best players have more room to show their best skills. Also there is another change. There will be five TV timeouts per period so best players can play more and that's why every team will roll only three forward lines and two D pairs. That is the future of the sport. SHL and Eurosport are in the frontline leading that change.

Words: 198

[Image: salming.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2021, 09:41 AM by KC15.)

To make the SHL more extreme and please the new network, we are going to make at least a couple of changes. First, we are going to make a foot wide strip along the blue line an ice-free zone. Along this strip there will be just a gap in the ice about 6 inches deep. However, on each side of this gap a small icy “ramp” will be built so that players can launch the puck in the air if they shoot it along the ice and up the ramp and they can also decide whether to simply jump the gap with a hop or really take air off the ramp.

]The puck will also be modified so that it explodes into a cloud of confetti if it is launched out of the area of play. Once it clears the boards and is headed into the stands, there will be a variable timer that runs down before it explodes over the gathered fans.

Imagine there being fists that come out of the boards and every time you skated near the boards BAM punched in the face by a boxing glove. The goalie net also moves left to right, so it becomes a moving target. The ice rink just becomes one big game show! Fans will get to throw pies at the teams during the game. The referees will have a "purge period" where everyone just starts beating the crap out of each other, and anything goes. We will see goalies taking their sticks and bashing the players trying to screen them. The sticks will become weapons.... BUT there is only one rule for purge period... Do not use your skates as a weapon. Players will have a chance to take out the goalies if they want, they can full steam ahead towards the goalie and just LAY THAT MOTHER******* OUT! My player is a hitter and he would have at least 500 hits in the season maybe more! I think with this new format happening we we see less goals and more violence we need back in the SHL. The SHL is all about goals.... where is the love for the technique of DESTROYING someone coming into the zone or for goalies when they would slash the players legs for standing in front of them trying to screen them! The SHL will be new and improved and a must watch! 

237 words

Drafted 2nd round 21st Pick by the Winnipeg Jets in S55 SHL Entry Draft 
GM of the UCORCAL in the WJC S55
S55 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for UCORCAL
Management Role for Russia in the IIHF
Recent Management Role / Head Coach for Winnipeg Aurora in SHL 
CO-GM St. Louis Scarecrows S57-S60
GM of the St. Louis Scarecrows S61-S72
S72 Challenge Cup Champion
[Image: 6JpC94j.png]
[Image: image0.png]
[Image: IMG_0301.jpg]

Most Extreme Simulation Hockey Challenge!  Instead of regular hockey pads, players would be issued American football style shoulder pads to help assist in getting those big cross-bodied hits.  Along with this, there would be a new addition to the boards.  At center ice between the benches, and in the corners adjacent to the trapezoid, there would be new "pinball" style bumpers that, when a player successfully hits into it at the correct angle, will catapult them with massive acceleration into both teammate and opponent alike.  Gone will be the days of goons and hockey fights. Now, instead of bashing a guys head in with a fight, you can go airborne like a human cannonball to take people out and get an opening for your drive to the net, or to clear out those pesky "Wayne Gretzky" type centers who like to camp out behind the net.  The role of the "enforcer" will now become mainstream and as important as a goal scoring forward!

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]

To compete for the attention of hockey fans around the world, the SHL has been told by their network partners they need to implement new gimmicks.. I mean meathods.. to keep eyeballs locked on the screen. We all know the first problem fans have when watching game is seeing the black puck on the white ice – so we have decided to paint the ice black, turn off the lights and use a glow in the dark puck and a series of coloured LED lights on each teams’ jerseys (think something like this: https://nation.com.pk/digital_images/lar...2-5342.jpg). Goaltenders will be required to wear lights around the perimeter of their equipment. Goal posts will be equipped with two small lights on the top corners only and focused beams of light will emit from the ice to the rafters fully mark where the posts would be. We expect collisions to increase by 160%, goals up by 135% and subsequent viewership by an impressive 210%. Coaches and officials will be equipped with night vision goggles so they can accurately see and call what is happening. There is no doubt the this ‘night’ hockey will be as visually spectacular as it will be absolute chaos. Thank goodness we don’t have a SHLPA here, so we won’t need to worry about clearing it past the players.

[Image: regsivart.gif]
[Image: SyiOY8U.png] [Image: rwqM7d3.png]

The SHL has been picked up by all the major streaming services. Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBOGO. All games throughout the season will be streamed via those platforms. Each service got one of the divisions. Great Lakes got eaten up by Hulu, Netflix took the South West. Amazon obviously took the North West, and HBO got left with the Atlantic. You wont need all 4 services to watch all games, but if you want special treatment for your team, you will need to pick up the service that hosts your division. Each team will be making special content for their respective channels. Much like HBOs shows Hard Knocks or Road to the Winter Classic, each team will give you inside looks into the teams. Watch morning practices, watch locker room speeches, listen to banter on the benches. All players will be mic'd up and everyone will get a first hand experience with their team. Obviously there will still be some privacy for the coaches and teams so as to not discuss strategies openly so that teams can not spy on each other via these shows. With the SHL now significantly more accessible than the NHL, this is the first time that the NHL will see a dent in their hockey monopoly.

[Image: d2EaZfr.png]
Former Player