Create Account

Graphics grading payout

Let me preface this by saying this is nothing against the graphics grading team.

We all love sigs. There's a reason so many of us use a sig rotator to proudly display the sigs that have been made for us, produced by us, or paid for by us, over our career. People line up at sig shops to get something made by one of their favorite graphic designers. Unfortunately, the time that they put into making those sigs we all know and love isn't really worth their time in terms of payments for graphics.

It would be nice to see the league step up and think about a pay scale revamp. We currently allow a 0-5 rating system, and the top payout for the rare 5 rating is only 1.5 mil. A graphic that can take someone hours to create earns a bit more than a week of tweets, and those take maybe 5 minutes over the course of a week.

The ISFL is the closest affiliated league I could find with a payout structure. They have a 1-7 scale, with a payout ranging up to 3m. While I won't knock anyone that does graphics there, I feel like hockey jersey swaps might be a bit more work.

Revising the upper half of the pay scale (say, 3-5?) to pay something like... 3m for a 3, and 5m for 5?

Let's face it, graphics aren't something set in stone like word count. Someone could spend hours making a sig that they love, and it scores horribly. Does that mean they shouldn't be able to cover a week or two of training? I'd honestly like to see the pay scale changed from a 1 grade, where something that you at least tried for earns you a million.

[Image: FJPVyys.png]
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2021, 11:02 PM by Ruggsy.)

I joined the graphics team as assistant in only my 1st or 2nd season in the league ,but since then I feel like I've heard  a bunch about the change to the voting based grading system, and as a non-grader, and non-professionally  good art person I feel like its been for the better. All the time I'll find someone who posted a couple pretty good submissions and made a ton of money that left me surprised thinking I might have made a mistake in the math. But of course I didn't because I am a master of fake hockey calculations

I just ran the average in our graphics sheet and the average we just paid out last week (a normal non 2x week) was ~2.2mil per user for 14 users who submitted.

the higher end of users are getting 4 4+ rated sigs in every week (and 5s are not as uncommon as you would think) these users would be getting upwards of 20Mil per week which is pretty crazy

Ruggs is right.

ISFL has super inflated graphics payout, and our economy is not the same as theirs,

There are a lot of people on here that can consistently make 4s. I would argue anyone here could make 4s if they practiced. Everyone would be making 16m a week at your scale. That's absurd. Even 8m a week seems like a lot. That's 8000 words. I'd commit sudoku if I had to write 8000 words a week. Or I could make 4 sigs.

We get plenty of sig submissions every week so people must not mind the pay.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2021, 03:43 AM by Carpy48.)

First of all thanks for your feedback.

I can only speak from my own experience as a sig maker, because I've basically been doing graphics on a rather consistent basis since I've joined the site a little over 2 years ago. If you keep making lots and lots of sigs (and hopefully improve with the amount of work you put into them, if not please ask questions in our gfx discord, our graders are there to help you in areas where you can improve) money shouldn't be an issue anymore after a while. Almost my entire bank account comes from simply making tons of sigs and having them all graded every week, so it's definitely possible to pay for your training by doing graphics. Others have done that too, just look at who submits something on a weekly basis, you'll see the same users there. I know very well how much time can go into a single sig, it's not like those of us who get higher grades get them done in 10 minutes. On top of regular grading weeks we have the 2x draft week every season where you should participate even if your graphics skills aren't that great and regular contests, typically two per season. Even if you don't win them, in most cases recently we let people submit their work and get a 2x bonus for them. Even if your skills aren't the best, but you keep making 4 sigs every week or whenever your bank accounts looks sad, it will help. Just tweet to support that. If you're good or people like your style, perhaps open a sig shop? You can get paid up to $4M for a single sig that way.

Other than that I can agree with what my two "colleagues" have said above. The current payout is very fair the way it is, but I always like to hear thoughts of others.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]