Create Account

(GRADED)Deep Dive #2: Quebec City vs. Kelowna
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2021, 08:16 PM by CptSquall.)

In Season 58 of the SMJHL, two teams have seemingly become the favorites to win the Four-Star Cup. With the regular season winding down and the last few games before the playoffs soon to be played, 2 teams have remained as the tops in their division. From the East, the Quebec City Citadelles look to have the conference won with a record of 41-12-6. In the West, the Kelowna Knights have already clinched their conference's top spot with a record of 45-9-2. While there are some very fascinating teams under them, including the Newfoundland Berserkers and the Detroit Falcons, who also look to have a say in the 4SC picture, the Citadelles and the Knights are presently the favorites. So let's look at both of these teams, what their strengths are, what their weaknesses are, and who should be considered the Cup-favorite. 

First, let's look at the Knights. Kelowna currently holds the best record in the league. While the Citadelles are only 4 points under them, the Knights are currently in the best spot to secure home-ice advantage in the likely event of a Knights/Citadelles Finals. The Knights' 214 goals scored and 113 goals allowed are both the best in their conference. Those 113 goals allowed just so happen to be the least allowed in the whole league. Leading the way on defense for the Knights have been great seasons had by, among others, Michael Scotch, Ren-Ekelemchi Shimizu-Oko, and Robert Feltersnatch. Feltersnatch, in particular, has been excellent with a 67 OGR, despite being a defenseman. Damien Vertigo has been one of the top goalies in the league this season with 70 goals allowed: the least out of goalies with 31 or more games played. Kelowna is a hard team to find a weakness in. I guess the only one I could find is that they don't have a singular DPOTY-worthy player. But they do not care, considering they have the league's best defense overall. 

Now, let's look at the Citadelles. Quebec City currently has the best scoring team in the league with 225 goals. A matchup between them and the Knights would be a #1 offense vs #1 defense bout. However, they are not the topper in defense in their conference currently with 129 goals allowed to Newfoundland's 124 (Newfoundland has played fewer games though). Great seasons being had by Zdenko Beranek and Kev Kevens on the offensive end has elevated the Citadelles very much, with both men receiving MVP-consideration. Quebec City is currently only 14 points ahead of the team under them, the Berserkers, in their conference. With 7 games to play (and 9 for Newfoundland), it's not completely unlikely that they may give up the top spot. 

While the regular season may not be over, I think I have to give the present edge to the Kelowna Knights. It's very hard to find flaws in the Knights' armor as they have truly been playing like the best team in the league. But I won't count out teams like the Citadelles who have been elevated by MVP and DPOTY-caliber seasons from numerous players. It will be interesting to see what the next few weeks yield from the SMJHL. 
Code:
552 Words

Approved +5 TPE @Dagumpa

[Image: duncan_png.png]