Create Account

Top Cheddar Pre Draft Team Thoughts, Post Season Interview
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021, 05:24 PM by Whikadoodle.)

[Image: 1200px-Swedish_Hockey_League_logo.svg.png]

Top Cheddar Gets The Slice, Anaheim Outlaws Eliminated From SMJHL Contention

After a gouda rookie campaign, Top discusses his rookie year, playing in America, and potential SHL draft destinations

[Image: 5f4080f5d1c13.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C800]

After a grueling game seven loss against the Colorado Raptors, undrafted Anaheim Outlaws forward Top Cheddar didn't take any time off. The next morning, he was back in the weight room, pumping out reps and preparing for his next season. In 33 games played, Top Cheddar struggled, putting up 6 points on 19 shots averaging just under 8 minutes per game. Cheddar couldn't find his stroke in the playoffs, posting no points and a -5 rating over seven games.

SHL Correspondent Dick Shivers took some time to sit down with Top Cheddar and discuss his goals for next season and his excitement about the upcoming SHL Draft.

Interview Dick Shivers: Top Cheddar, the sniper from Sweden! Tell me, what are your thoughts now that your rookie season has concluded?

Top Cheddar: To be honest with you, Dick? I'm hungry. I have worked my tail off for the past few months, grinding away and getting better. I feel like I was just turning a corner at the end of the regular season, and starting to impress my coaches with my game. I feel like I have a lot more to show, and I can't wait for the opportunity to take the ice and demonstrate that I can be a real difference maker for my team.

Interview DS: We're together here in the Anaheim Outlaws practice facility, where you were the first person here after a tough game 7 loss. Tell me, what drives you to be here, now, striving to be better?

TC: Hockey is my life, Dick. I'm a student of the game, and when you want to be the best, there are no days off. After our loss yesterday I did what I always do - I took a note of the things I did well, I took a look at the things I need to work on, and I showed up this morning to keep on my grind. I've got high aspirations for my Juniors career, including obtaining a Four Star Cup for the first time in my agency's history.

Interview DS: Have your training priorities changed since coming to America?

TC: Not really. What's changed is that I'm playing against the toughest competition available to me at my age, anywhere in the world. Having that level of talent line up across from you, it helps you understand what it takes to be the best, and it shows you where you need to get better if you want to compete in this league. I'm still trying to get stronger, I'm trying to improve my basic skills on the ice, and I'm trying to come at the game from a mentally strong place. Every day, if I keep showing up every day, if I keep putting the work in, good things are going to happen, both for me and my team.

Interview DS: Have you given any thought to the future? The SHL Draft is quickly approaching, which I'm sure is cause for excitement and possibly nervousness.

TC: No nervousness here, Dick. This is what I do. This is what I've done since I was two years old and put on skates for the first time. No nerves here. But I am excited. The SHL Draft is a big deal for us prospects, and having the opportunity to get drafted by a team, that's more than just taking the ice, that's team training camp. That's off-season practices with additional coaches. That's opportunities to learn from not just the best in the league, but the best in the world. I'm excited to become a part, to be the future, of an SHL team.

Interview DS: Have you given any thought as to where you'd like to be drafted?

TC: I haven't Dick. That's a decision that's wholly out of my control. I think whoever drafts me is going to be lucky, that they're going to end up with a great player who works hard every day to improve. But as to my preference on where I'd go, my goal has always been to get drafted and win a Challenge Cup. I think that every team in this league has the potential to do that, especially if they take me in the SHL Draft. So, no, Dick, I do not have a preference on where I am drafted.

Interview DS: What are you looking for in a SHL club?

TC: The most important thing to me is team culture. Winning on the ice doesn't happen unless you have a winning culture, and that's a culture where everyone needs to buy in, from the players to the coaches to the front office all the way to the administrative staff and those who play any part of putting that team on the ice. There are plenty of things that are important, and are tied to that, like coaches who are willing to invest in their player's development, a front office who's up front about their expectations or concerns, and can set a vision to get a team competitive or keep a team competitive. Everything else, from whether a franchise is rebuilding or contending now, the prestige and pedigree of SHL clubs, my potential call up date, all of that is secondary in my mind to whether whoever drafts me has high standards for themselves, that they push themselves to be great, and that they are committed to a winning culture.

Interview DS: Is there anything else you'd like SHL scouts to know before the SHL Draft?

TC: The one thing I want SHL Scouts to know about me is that every period, every game, every time I take the ice, you're getting the best player Top Cheddar has ever been. I'm always improving, and I'm not taking days off. If you think you know my ceiling, think again. You ain't seen nothing yet.

[Image: 1206471056.jpg.jpg]

Lets drop the keyfabe and have some fun. When I came back with Ricky Spanish, the league had changed a bit, but holy fuck this place looks a lot different than it did back in s19. I'm going to go through each SHL team and give my off-the-cuff thoughts. Please don't take offense, I literally don't know enough about your clubs to be mean, and I don't know any user who's rocking legendary players if they first came here after 2017. I have no idea where people are in the standings because I have no idea how to look at sim stats, and I have no idea if you're contending or rebuilding. I'm alson not really taking the time to look at TPE totals; we should find a way to view that from the forum level without having to look at individual player profiles. ANYWAY, lets go.

Inferno Atlanta Inferno Inferno
Front Office: hotdog, goldenglutes

Seriously? Another team that doesn't end in "s"? I swear this league is addicted. Great color scheme, I love the branding and the two logos. Those alternates are stupid sexy. How is Brady McIntyre still in this league? I've shared LRs with Cal before, good player. Micool, iamslm, Gecko, Bilbo, and Acsolap are the usernames I recognize. I also don't think this team was tied to anything beforehand? So this wasn't a move? You've got Crutch and Jepox in your prospect pool, which gives me hope for the future.

Platoon Baltimore Platoon Platoon
Front Office: JR95 and zoone16

Thank fuck you moved. I'm not going to mention why, but thank fuck you moved. Good to see JR95 pop up, mad respect homie. I think our paths have crossed a number of times, but I haven't been on a team of yours for any extended period of time. Draft me! You've got McZ, so that pretty much guarantees you a ship, right? Nuck, too, are either of them still active? I don't think anything has changed too much about your branding, which is good because I didn't mind the old branding. You also have a great prospect pool including Wasty and Serpe.

Stampede Buffalo Stampede Stampede
Front Office: WannabeFinn, Tomen

I'm pretty sure WannabeFinn hates me. I have no idea why he would, and I don't dislike them, but I've got this hunch and I'm pretty sure I'm right. Good names on the team - Tomen, Evok, Byrde, TnL, ZombieWolf. Cupboard is looking pretty bare, you've got Ragnar, which is pretty cool. Idk, I'm starting to get the vibe that this is a pretty close-knit team. Reminds me of old Texas. Anyway, I don't think WF would ever draft me, but I respect the tenure and the team, and like it.

syndicate Chicago Syndicate syndicate
Front Office: Velvera, O4L

Velvera, O4L, I've been wanting to play for you since I joined this site. I've constantly said I will sign to a Chicago team no questions asked, before I went IA. Just consider me always interested in playing for you. Branding, logo, all of it is good. Honestly, just because it says Chicago, I'm going to be happy with it. You've got some heavy hitting names on that roster, including some of my favorites Tez, HNJ, 44, Donini. I recognize Skol, SDCore, and Nyko, I think I might have shared a LR in Halifax or Vancouver or something with you, or you're just names I've seen a lot. You've also got Nike in your prospect pool. Holy shit this team is stacked.

Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks Steelhawks
Front Office: Hallsy, Dmills3

Finally, the first team that's still the same team it was when I joined. Wouldn't be the Steelhawks without Hallsy, good to see ya. Blues, Soulja, Toivo, and TweedleDunn are all great. I remember on my first player I tried to have a rivalry with Soulja. I think he ended up with much better players but I got an MVP so suck it. Other than JSS I don't know anyone in your prospect pool. Classic team, never played for you, let's ride.

Rage Manhattan Rage Rage
Front Office: JayWhy, Citizen of Adraa

Another classic team that I haven't played for! Hi JayWhy, I'd play for you any day. I don't know Citizen real well, but I've seen the username doing a lot around here, so you can't be that bad. StamkosFan might kick my ass after I deserted them in Sweden last time I went IA; my bad friend forgive me? Flareon is one of my favorite people on the site, even though we never talk. Plenty of good names here, too, but I wouldn't expect anything less from JW. Tomasnz, XLeafer (who I think passed on Chippy Chiclets a long time ago as gm of the Platoon. I might be wrong here.), Buster, Sym. You also have a user named Skeleton Party who's player is "Name Redacted" and that's just fantastic. Holy shit where are all your prospects? Draft me and I'll be glad to help!

Wolfpack New England Wolfpack Wolfpack
Front Office: Kenvald, Zema

Always will be home for me. First team to draft me. Won them their first CC in S23. Niklas Wikstrom spent only the first half of his career there and he's still sitting at 31 on all time scoring. I don't think I know either of the GMs, but again, this is kind of my spot, and I'm always happy to play for them. But for fucks sake, update the team history on the forum. Hi Ace. Treant, Cyanide, Zomp, JaytheGreat and Paq are all names I recognize, but I don't know why. Gordie in your prospect pool. Fucking legendary franchise, lets bring back a legendary user for you maybe?

Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda Barracuda
Front Office: trella, hockeyiscool

Do I know how to spell Barracuda? I'm not going to look it up. Hi Trella! We cool? I think there was some bullshit with you and EDM, but I never have had time for that, so I can't remember what it might have been about. Could be someone completely different, too. I'm old and can't remember things. I like the branding and the color scheme here. I love teal. Is that teal? Teal for life. I'm finding it hard to find familiar names on the roster, MCP, Rumham, and Hexx are the only ones I really even recognize. Your prospect pool looks pretty nice, DT and Flappy and who I assume is Jim Lahey's new username. Fuck, if you have DT, you're gonna be good with me.

Stars Toronto North Stars Stars
Front Office: ML, UrsinZ

Its still weird for me to see a North Stars team without HNJ or Krever, but IIRC ML has been there a long time. Stoked to see Delver Fudgeson still going strong. Also notice Squall and Rich on your squad. The prospect pool looks empty, but boy do you look like you're setting up for cup runs just looking from above. Not much else to say on this team, go get your cups.

Dragonite Calgary Dragons Dragonite
Front Office: Steelhead, Izzy

Holy shit I didn't expect anything less. From a management standpoint, this team has been such a gold standard for a long time that it's impossible for me to imagine a Dragons team that is struggling. Steelhead is a legendary GM, and Izzy is cut from that same cloth. I've never got a chance to put on the jersey, but boy would I be proud to do so. So I know I've been calling out users in the other posts, but I'm being honest here, I could probably say something to over 2/3rds the roster in Calgary, so I'll keep it brief. Wong - love ya. Kata Vilde led us to medals when I co-gmed Sweden for a season or two back on Ricky Spanish, how is Otis Driftwood still going strong, and holy hell you don't need many prospects if you've got Izzy and Wong coming in. What a team. I'd be honored to be drafted here.

Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard Blizzard
Front Office: Keygan, TommySalami

Ahh, my second home in the SHL! I really enjoyed my time here the first time around, and I like Keygan and Tommy a lot. A lot of these players/usernames are still pretty familiar in my head. I can't believe you're still wheeling Tor Tuck around out there, he's a geriatric. Hi Karl, Hi Jesster! Uh, fucking FINN RHYS with the 2k build?!?!?!?! That makes me so happy! Hi Boom, Hi Hoovah! Hi everyone else. You know I'd play for you, never turn your back on the teams that got you here in the first place! Sorry if I fucked you over with Chippy or Ricky.

Panthers Los Angeles Panthers Panthers
Front Office: Fuzz, TheDangaZone

Okay, so I know TDZ, but I'm not sure if I know Fuzz? Fuzz I've experienced some head trauma since I was last here, so I'm really sorry if, like, we're best friends and I'm forgetting that. Really am. Anyway, LAP with Wasty as GM was a hush hush, but still solid team, and I have respect for anyone willing to follow up that level of GMing. RED and Eggy are there, but I have no idea if they are around anymore. Those players are old, my dudes. Hi Bottas! Hi Sloth. Nice to see that Knox Booth hit 2k TPE, I was always rooting for ya. Count Chocula, good to see ya. And you've got Gcool and Allegiant in the J, so I know you've got a future. Solid group here. Also, love Golden Face, great name.

Monarchs Minnesota Monarchs Monarchs
Front Office: SpartanGibbles and Kluster

FINALLY the state of hockey has made its way into the SHL. Oh wait, we had a Minnesota team? Sorry can't remember that place was a dumpster fire for a long time. I remember SpartanGibbles was pretty popular the last time I poked my head around here, and I don't think I had any bad interactions, so congrats on the GM! Big fan of the Purple - its a primary color that needed some representation in the league. I also really like the logo - the beard really ties it all together. What a great rebrand; I like this so much better than the Chiefs, which is a name we probably should have dropped a long time ago. As for the roster, could you BE any more stacked? You've got Blues. You've got Leafs. You've got Fever. You've got Toast. Holy shit you've got Shmurph and Jedi as prospects, too. This team is just too cool. Okay, please forgive me for burning the Chiefs and give me a shot, old habits die hard, ya know.

Specters New Orleans Specters Specters
Front Office: JKortesi and Nictox

Okay, I legit had forgotten about New Orleans. They were still pretty new when I was last here, give me a break. But I could never forget about JK - what's good? I don't think I've ever given my thoughts on the branding, so let me just say that its fucking awesome. Love the idea of the specter, again, love the purple, and I'm willing to look past the reality that the ice in New Orleans has to be super slushy. Nice Mardi Gras logo, too. Man, I love New Orleans. I was there February 2020, which is weird to think about given the fact that I can't remember anything outside the four walls of my house it seems like. Anyway, back to this shit. You've got some great names - Hi PB and Rublic! Hi to Mook and Wallflower. Glad to see Anthony Archer had himself a career. Team looks a little old though let me just look into the prospect pool AND THERE THEY ARE. Probably the most stacked prospect pool I've seen so far going through the teams. Only one RW though. Just think of the possibilities if you were to draft TOP CHEDDAR!

pride San Francisco Pride pride
Front Office: ThatGuy91 and AgentSmith630

Without even looking I don't think I'll fit onto this team, I don't have a number in my username! ThatGuy was a cool guy, and because of the username I now think Agent Smith is from the Chicago suburbs, so my apologies for having to live in fucking Naperville or Wheaton or some shit. I live in the corn now, so you can give me shit right back. Uhh, okay, time to start talking about the team. IIRC this started as JPs Portland team, the same time as Buffalo, and this one kept having issues? Okay I clicked it open and yeah it was Portland. I think Grapehead rebranded you? I've always liked the Pride, despite the fact that we have way too many teams here that don't end in "s." Looking at the roster, oh hey JP! Bunch of good users here, Rain, Pris, bbp, dpark, Narconis. How did you get that many prospects? You and New Orleans need to share. Hi Stormy. Hi Keenan.

Argonauts Seattle Argonauts Argonauts
Front Office: Tig, Grok

All right, another new (to me) team. Hi Tig! Love the boat, love Seattle, especially if I actually don't have to live there (i fucking love the city, its just so far away from everything). There's apparently been a lot of yellow popping up in the SHL, so its not really Seattle's branding, I think I've just seen enough yellow. Nice boat. I also love the eye on the logo. I started going through your roster and I had the thought for half a second that, oh shit, I don't know anyone here, but you've got some familiar faces down there, including Triple H, Wozy, GWD, Noname, and Ontanis. You've also got ztevans in your prospect pool, who I've always liked for his time in WPG.

Aurora Winnipeg Aurora (oh that doesn't feel right to type out) Aurora
Front Office: Muerto, Geekusoid

Muerto, I've always liked you, but what happened here? The Aurora? I don't even know if people from Winnipeg can see the aurora! Something I'll have to ask Chris Jericho or Jonathan Toews, the only two people I can name from Winnipeg. I have to imagine that the conversation started with "why are we named after a NHL team", and I hope that y'all know it was named that before the team moved back from Atlanta. Anyway, I'm being an old fucking crotchety fart about it. Good on you for the Green. This is probably the third place I'd consider home in the SHL - thanks to Leafs for getting me my MVP. You know my feelings at this point about teams that don't end in "s." Hi Bojo, Hi CFJ. You've got Jortuga and Jason and Gooney and Jorec. Hey you got your platoon in my jets! No you got your jets in my platoon! I've been writing for a really long time. Uhh you've got VIN and Enigmatic in your prospect pool, those two are gonna be huge. Uhh, what else can I say, I'd love to come play for ya Muerto.

FUCK I SKIPPED TEXAS WHOOPS

Renegades Texas Renegades Renegades
Front Office: puolivalmiste, RedCapeDiver

I don't think we've met, hi, I'm Whik. Nice to meet you. Uhh, couple of names jump out to me on this team, Ohtayy and Fanto, Sponge, Jearim, Dankoa, what a fucking career Brusky, Slowpoke, Raymond. I know CKRoyal but I cannot name the old player that I think ya had. Uhh, I'm really tired of writing, but Texas is cool. Give me my franchises that haven't changed, shoot it straight into my veins. Draft me maybe?

Thanks for letting me ramble to pad the bank account. To cut to the chase, I'm looking for a team that can help me stay honest with updating and has a good LR. What I really need is a GM or someone who will remind me to get those updates in. Those who know me know that I was way more of a forum guy than a Discord guy, and when things moved to Discord is about when you lost me. Discord is still hard for me to keep up with, but I'm trying. I'm not trying to be a max earner with this player, my biggest goal is to just have fun and stick around, and if I want to try for 2k TPE or a HOF player (Wikstrom was sooo close!) I'll recreate and do it the right way. I'm excited to go through the draft again, and I did really miss all of you while I've been IA. Signs aren't so great right now, but hopefully Top Cheddar doesn't suck as much ass as he has the past season and I can contribute on your SHL team.

(Word Count: 4211)

All this did was make me aware that 7 of our teams don't end in s. That's super fucking weird

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

@Whikadoodle apreciate the mention but I’m no longer BAP’s cogm. i stepped down last off-season. Mastersheep is the new co. I’m still around though Wink

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]