Create Account

Fedor's Pre-Draft Thoughts on Every SHL Team (2x)
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2021, 12:45 PM by DollaBill.)

Double Media!!!!!!!

With the Season 59 draft less than a day away, I figured it was time to address all teams as they polish off those draft boards and prepare to hand out new sweaters to players they believe will be impacts on their organizations. Apologies for referring to myself in the first person so much, but I feel it was necessary provide proper context. I also think if you see and hear my name a lot, you won’t forget it.
It seems I am flying very under the radar in this pre-draft process. Not being so connected to the SHL community may be working against me. Perhaps I am just being over paranoid and the countless mock drafts that mention Squirt the Turtle and no Fedor Sotakov are pure poo. Either way, I have worked hard to be one of the most productive SMJHL rookies of Season 58.

I finished 3rd in SMJHL rookie scoring and was one of the only rookie forwards to spend more than half a season on the top line. There is no doubt that Fedor Sotakov will grow to chase scoring titles in the SHL, but will I be a good fit for your club? Well, without further ado, I give you my thoughts on all 18 SHL teams. 

Atlanta Inferno  Inferno
I think it is awesome to have teams NOT named after animals. Inferno is a very badass name, and it is like firemen. Who doesn’t love firemen? I know how loves firemen, women. The women love firemen, which means the women also love the Atlanta Inferno. One thing I don’t love about Atlanta is the traffic. There are too many people in that city and, go figure, the first season of The Walking Dead took place in Atlanta. Mobs of flesh-eating zombies best describes the downtown area of ATL. Barring a trade up, the Inferno draft near the end of the 1st round. I’d love to be a fireman but hope to be off the board by then.

Baltimore Platoon  Platoon
One of the teams that I interviewed with was Baltimore. Great conversation and what I feel would be a nice fit for my style of play. Baltimore is a great city that, unlike Atlanta, has a chill central area down at the harbor. The Platoon have great fans and are a team that is fun to watch. I would love to be a part of the Platoon’s quest to stay among the top teams in the SHL, but it is unlikely with their first pick not coming until the 3rd round.

Buffalo Stampede Stampede
Buffalo is a lot like Russia. Very cold, rusty, but the people work hard and play hard. I am told a lot of Stampede players live up in the Niagara Falls area, which is a nice place to live. I have sadly not heard from Buffalo to this point, so I am not sure if they are interested in drafting me with their 10th overall pick. Perhaps they have all the information they need and don’t want to talk?

Chicago Syndicate  syndicate
I had a nice time speaking with Chicago about fitting into their long-term plans. Chicago is known worldwide as an excellent sports town and come on, who wouldn’t want to be drafted by a team that is one season removed from winning the whole damn thing? If you ask me, Fedor Sotakov is perfect for Chicago. I can be one of the players that will keep the Syndicate near the top of the league and competing for the Cup. Chicago has the last pick of the 1st round. Again, I hope I am not still on the board by then.

Hamilton Steelhawks  Steelhawks
The Steelhawks don’t draft until pick 54, which is crazy. They are very good but traded away all their picks like the LA Rams in the NFL do. The Steelhawks are champs, which means they were going for it all. I can respect that. I have not heard from Hamilton and unless compromising video leaks the media on draft day…there is no way I am still around at the end of 3rd round. I am not being an ass; I just think my body of work in Season 58 and many interviews as part of the pre-draft process will result in a 1st round selection.

Manhattan Rage   Rage
Fedor Sotakov in the Big Apple!? I don’t know if the world is ready for that. Athletes in all sports wonder what it would be like to play in New York and I’m no exception. It would be phenomenal to play for the Rage and the New York fans. I did conduct a pre-draft interview with the Rage, which tells me they are thinking about Sotakov at pick 12. This is a great possibility for which I am excited.

New England Wolfpack  Wolfpack
Fedor Sotakov to the New England Wolfpack at pick 11, maybe. I don’t know if they are interested, but I like the prospect. I would also like to do the “two sweet” hand gesture as much as possible if I ever end up wearing the green and gray sweater.

Tampa Bay Barracuda  Barracuda
I am a big fan of what Tampa Bay is doing to build a future contender. I said last season that I believe the Barracuda are on the cusp of a solid run that sees a corps of talented young players get closer and closer to the cup as seasons go by. Sadly, no interview request from Tampa, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t interested. They might already know what they want. I do believe some teams go by the numbers and the tape from the SMJHL season that was. Either way, Tampa Bay at pick 5 would be a dream spot for me. Absolutely love the new look!

Toronto North Stars  Stars
Toronto is like New York in that all kids skating across a frozen pond are pretending to score goals in front of the largest crowds in THE hockey city. The North Stars have a few 1st round picks and I have spoken with the team a few times. This is a real possibility for Fedor Sotakov and I’m excited at the idea of putting on that classic blue and white sweater. Toronto is looking to build for the future with the Season 59 draft class and I would be privileged to be a part of it. So, let’s do it North Stars, let’s bring Fedor to the Canadian metropolis.

Calgary Dragons  Dragons
Sick name, logo, and hockey town. The Calgary Dragons are a classic team that I remember watching as a youngster in Russia. It would be an honor to play for the Dragons, but sadly, they have no pick in the 1st round. I will say that, when you’re drafted by Calgary, you know that you’re expected to win every year. That is the level of competition an challenge I crave at the next level.

Edmonton Blizzard  Blizzard
With Calgary unlikely, there’s a chance Fedor Sotakov can join the Battle of Alberta by way of the Edmonton Blizzard. Edmonton holds picks 4 and 13 in the 1st round, which increases my odds. Well, at least in my book. I did have a nice chat with Edmonton a short while ago during which they were very honest about their needs. The Blizzard are looking for some defenseman but remain very open to the prospect of adding Sotakov to the roster. I have much respect for their organization and would be thrilled to see it workout, somehow, that I am heading further North on draft day.

Los Angeles Panthers  Panthers
Playing in LA would be a dream scenario for me. The weather, the girls, the things to do, but sadly, I don’t believe it will happen. The Panthers hold pick 6, but I’m told they already have their eyes on another prospect at the spot. Smoke signals, perhaps? Maybe. But I have not spoken with Los Angeles and don’t believe this is where Fedor Sotakov will be tomorrow night.

Minnesota Monarchs  Monarchs
Okay, so we’ve talked about playing in major cities, but Minnesota…that is hockeytown. The youngest players in the Russian dump town that I am from are told stories by their elders of the hockey in Minnesota, USA. I gave a great interview with the Monarchs a couple weeks ago and feel strongly that I am at or near the top of their draft board. I can only hope that pick 3 will be Fedor Sotakov. Unless they trade back into the 1st round, Fedor is going to Minnesota 3rd overall or not at all.

New Orleans Specters  Specters
The Specters were the most recent team that contacted me with some pre-draft questions. I was excited to hear from them and know that they are interested enough to find out more about Fedor Sotakov. New Orleans is at pick 14, which, in my mind…become Fedor Sotakov if I fall down the 1st round. Looking at a lot of mock drafts and they fail to mention Fedor at all! This is insane, but it tells me I am vastly underrated. If these mocks are a hint of what’s to come, then perhaps Fedor will be a steal in this draft. If that were the case, would New Orleans pounce at the opportunity?

San Francisco Pride  pride
San Francisco reached out to me first. I know I wasn’t the only Season 59 prospect they talked to, but they were the first team to interview me. This was following our loss to Quebec City in that game 7. I was still very pissed when the phone rang, and the Pride were on the other end. That call reminded me that the SHL is the goal, and the Season 59 draft was near. Well, San Francisco picks at 7, which would be another realistic spot for Fedor Sotakov.

Seattle Argonauts  Argonauts
Seattle is not a team that I have heard from or have any idea what their plans are. I know they are a newer SHL franchise, and I assume they’re building for the future. Either way, the Argos don’t have a pick until 26 and I hope I am already boarding a plane to my new, SHL city by then.

UPDATE: Seattle reached out to me after this piece was written but before publishing. We had a nice chat during which the Argos told me a lot about their short history and the direction of the franchise. Seattle is under competent management and expressed the desire to land a projected impact player like Fedor Sotakov. They still pick late and don't believe I will be available at pick 26. Crazier things have happened on draft days though, I suppose.

Texas Renegades  Renegades
I spoke with the Renegades recently to give them some insight on how my first season in the SMJHL went and what my plans and goals for the SHL are. Texas strikes me as a well-ran organization. And though Texas is not a traditional hockey market, I would be happy to go see what people mean when they say, “everything is bigger in Texas”.

Winnipeg Aurora  Aurora
Last team to cover before the draft is the Winnipeg Aurora. What I know about Winnipeg is that it is the most intimate of hockey markets. Winnipeg is near Minnesota, which makes sense, because it has the same frozen pond lineage and love for the game as Minnesota does. I was very excited to interview with the Aurora, but disappointed to hear that they would be considering Fedor Sotakov in the 2nd round, if I am still on the board. Winnipeg has picks 8 and 9…and no disrespect to my fellow Season 59 classmates, but I do not feel there are 8 players that can offer more than Fedor Sotakov.  There is still time to change their mind.

It is important to me to be given opportunities that align with my high-level motivation, work ethic, and results. The Colorado Raptors were the team that gave me the opportunities in Season 58. They moved up to make Fedor  Sotakov the 2nd overall pick, they gave me everything I wanted in competitions at practices, and it wasn’t long when Colorado made me a top 6 forward.
What the Raptors have done for me made me hungrier. I want nothing more than to perform for Colorado and return all the favors with a Four Stars Cup. This is me; this is what I do. When I have my mind set on doing something…get on the bus or get the eff out of the way! This is what SHL teams are overlooking about Fedor Sotakov. Forget your buddies and old teammates’ kids; look at what is new. Fedor Sotakov is hungry to perform at the highest level, and I can promise that if you give me the chance to…I will deliver for you.

**2238 words**

[Image: 3laFIkp.png]
[Image: X6QJdlt.gif]
Finland  Raptors  pride

+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria