Create Account

The Subject Of Undrafted Players (2x Draft Media)
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2021, 02:20 AM by zaynzk.)

I was reading the post by Valor; and I honestly found myself understanding his frustration. Firstly i find the idea of players just not getting drafted into a team as kind of ridiculous as expecting someone to wait an entire season of capped play without any idea if they even have a future in the SHL is a horrible idea for retention or anything. 
I understand that people like Emi and Jiggly have painted themselves in a way that makes teams not want to sign them and i can understand GM's refusing to draft them under any circumstance. but then i look at someone who is a casual earner who was mostly undrafted cause no team wanted to take a chance and help a low earner actually become a contributing member of the league. I obviously do not not know how well people interviewed or were seen by people in the locker room but talking to a few of the guys who went undrafted with lower tpe and i found out that they were only reached out to by 2 or 3 teams which is absolutely ridiculous since how can you know what players late in the draft can be diamonds in the rough when you do not bother even scouting them. I am a GM in the ISFL and I make it a priority to reach out to EVERY SINGLE PROSPECT in the draft, even players like Quarterbacks or Kickers, positions i do not need and have no need for many season since I think the scouting process is one of the most important and fun things in sim leagues that gets new users excited and lets me as a GM know exactly what player match the culture that i am trying to build on my team. There is not that many people in the draft to scout; and with the help of a war room you could easily scout the entire draft in a few days. The GM who drafted me scouted a entire reddit class by himself yet SHL GMs can not even scout 50 or so prospects? Getting back to my main point is that the undrafted player system is unnecessarily brutal to new users for no reason. I know i use ISFL a lot but its the only league i can really compare it too, but in the ISFL i know plenty of users who enter the draft with under 100 TPE earned such as theCC and ZootTX, who not only are GM's in the ISFL but involved in the SHL as well. If they were not even considered draft worthy would they have even stayed active? If I was not scouted and not drafted by a team i probably would have lost interest in the league right away. Being completely honest i do not like the idea of allowing users to be undrafted in any scenario even in the case of "Toxic" users since i find it unnecessarily cruel and i like the idea of giving people a chance, however i can accept that teams do not want them. However the one thing I can not accept is teams not drafting people cause they do not have any cap space to sign them. If the issue is clearly cap were 13 players were just not drafted majority of them due to cap space issues. 
If this is truly the issue that HO needs to work out a system were either Send Down Contracts cost even less or even no cap hit for SHL team, or they need to raise the cap. Another issue i disagree with is the fact that undrafted players cant sign for a team outside of the drat. Instead you leave a player to wait til the next draft, basically leaving a player in Limbo for two months at the chance of getting drafted again, and as we saw in this last draft even then you might go undrafted again. Are we really expecting players to wait almost half a year before they are drafted to an SHL team? There clearly is a issue in the SHL if we expect users to stay interested in the league when they do not even know if they will ever play in the SHL despite earning at a relatively steady rate. It seems kind off insane to have a system were you have to wait an entire season before getting drafted in the next seasons class and how will they know that a team will still take him. Someone like Valor is a good user who is a max earner in the ISFL and PBE yet was not even given a shot to prove the reputation he gained in this league wrong?
Draft day is the most fun day in sim leagues yet many of these prospect end up with their dreams crushed and the feeling that the league clearly does not care enough to give them a chance and its clear that the GM's and HO do not seem to care enough to make any changes to help low earning players not have there dreams crushed by the draft.

This was kinda rambly but i figure i might as well type up some of my thoughts and maybe start a dialog; but if not at least i could get paid for this and its draft related so I will collect my 2x media too

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap

Smart to collect the x2 media, thank you for sharing your thoughts. One quick thing I want to point out is that raising the cap may not be a viable option, as that does not guarantee teams will use that extra space for prospects instead of better currently rosterable players. I'm certain SHL HO is currently working on a solution to this issue as we've never had such unprecedented amounts of players going undrafted. In addition, part of the concern with people being able to sign outside the draft is players circumventing the needs for teams to use draft picks on them.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

04-04-2021, 02:36 AMACapitalChicago Wrote: Smart to collect the x2 media, thank you for sharing your thoughts. One quick thing I want to point out is that raising the cap may not be a viable option, as that does not guarantee teams will use that extra space for prospects instead of better currently rosterable players. I'm certain SHL HO is currently working on a solution to this issue as we've never had such unprecedented amounts of players going undrafted. In addition, part of the concern with people being able to sign outside the draft is players circumventing the needs for teams to use draft picks on them.
Yeah im sure SHL HO will figure something out; I figure there are reasons it runs the way it does but there should be a better system than just waiting for the next year to be drafted

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap

I was thinking about something to say on this and then I find Zayn has already said it, excellent work sir. I don't know enough about how everything works but the system in place should be there consider the user first and foremost not the GMs and that does not seem to be the case.

[Image: gaWPJhU.gif]

#justice4cody

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

You are doing god’s work.

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

04-04-2021, 10:24 AMValorX77 Wrote: You are doing god’s work.
While I agree you got kind of a raw deal, you do understand you didn't help yourself out at all right? Most of these SHL GM's don't know you like the ISFL people do, and with prospects counting against the cap here their hesitance to draft you isn't unfounded. That said I think you'll be a steal if you stay around for the next draft.

[Image: zootshl.gif]
Sig credits: OrbitingDeath & enigmatic

[Image: hUtg6sH.png][Image: Voi7GNj.png]

Timber Scarecrows pride Aurora France

04-04-2021, 10:33 AMZootTX Wrote:
While I agree you got kind of a raw deal, you do understand you didn't help yourself out at all right? Most of these SHL GM's don't know you like the ISFL people do, and with prospects counting against the cap here their hesitance to draft you isn't unfounded. That said I think you'll be a steal if you stay around for the next draft.
Definitely going to second this. It’s unfortunate that you didn’t get picked up, but if you stay active another season there’s a very good chance you’ll be picked up as an overager next draft. I will echo what Kluster said in the other thread though - I don’t think hitching your wagon to Emiko and trying to push the package deal thing helped your case.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

04-04-2021, 10:33 AMZootTX Wrote:
I am planning on sticking around, it sucks that I have to wait another two months, but it’s for the greater good. I wish to have a spot on a roster.

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

04-04-2021, 10:43 AMValorX77 Wrote:
04-04-2021, 10:33 AMZootTX Wrote: While I agree you got kind of a raw deal, you do understand you didn't help yourself out at all right? Most of these SHL GM's don't know you like the ISFL people do, and with prospects counting against the cap here their hesitance to draft you isn't unfounded. That said I think you'll be a steal if you stay around for the next draft.
I am planning on sticking around, it sucks that I have to wait another two months, but it’s for the greater good. I wish to have a spot on a roster.
No worries there, I'm sure that you'll find yourself on a team. You have your guys vouching for you via experience (me included) and I can see you keeping that grind. It will be worth it.

Also you know where to find me if you need a talk.

[Image: ProjectSaint.gif]
Sig Credit: Flappy (EVO) and Skolpaddor (RESO)

EMEKA VALENTINE-OKOLI/PLAYER

First SMJHL Goal: Colorado Raptors, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Mikelis Ozoliņš 4, Loki Odinsson 3) at 3:12, 2nd Period (GWG) / SMJHL S47 Game 47 Day 12: Colorado Raptors vs Detroit Falcons
First SHL Goal: Texas Renegades, Emeka Valentine-Okoli 1 (Josef Kubinec 5, Ricky Spanish 4) at 16:23, 2nd Period / SHL S51 Game 71 Day 16: Edmonton Blizzard vs Texas Renegades

Eternal RaptorsRaptors Old, onwards we roll Rage

And Let's Retire at the Pinnacle