Create Account

A Post-Draft Interview with Samuel Savage

[Image: 2014_nhl_draft_jake_virtanen_vancouver_062714.jpg]

Commissioner"And with the 30th Overall Selection in the S59 SHL Draft, the Minnesota Monarchs select...Samuel Savage, Center from Galway, Ireland"

Some quiet applause spreads through out the crowd as the Monarchs select a relatively unknown entity in Samuel Savage, an Irish Center currently playing Left Wing on the 4th Line of the Newfoundland Berserkers. The loudest cheers of all can actually be heard from his fellow Zerk draftees, who are going absolutely wild at their respective draft tables. Samuel looks back towards them, laughing and shaking his head as he makes the long walk onto stage, shaking hands with the commissioner and proudly holding up his Minnesota Monarchs jersey, the bright arena lights prominently showcasing Savage's black eye and missing tooth, freshly earned in the brutal wars of the Berserkers playoff run. After briefly posing for the classic draft photos, Savage thanks the commissioner again before quickly shuffling off of the stage, not really one for the spotlight. Unfortunately for him, there is a reporter for SHL Tonight waiting in the wings off-stage for him, Samuel dawns his Monarchs baseball cap with a smile he can't hide as the reporter approaches him.

Reporter: "First of all Samuel, Congratulations! You came into the SMJHL somewhat late into the season but in your time you've managed to show enough to get drafted in the second round."

Samuel Savage: "Thank you fella, I appreciate that."

Reporter:
"This time last year you were playing Juniors Hockey for your local team in Galway, tonight you're drafted into the SHL. What was going through your head when you we're selected 30th overall?"

Samuel Savage: "To be honest with youse, my first thought was 'bit fucking high, eh? let's go boys'. Probably can't say that on TV, nice one Sammy. (laughs) No but, obviously it's a dream come true, I mean I've heard some drama about guys getting mad at their draft position and where they end up but all that's not for me, you know, Hockey is my favorite thing in the world, I'd be doing it for free, I mean hell, I was doin' it for free a year ago, like you said. So all this? It's just gravy, and I mean, yeah, um, big fan of gravy."

Reporter: "I'm sure this moment has been a long time coming for you, how are you feeling?"

Samuel Savage: "It's always a shock to hear your name get called at an event you've been watching since you were 5 or 6 years old, my family didn't have an easy go of it when I was growing up but we always had a TV, and we didn't always get the games over in Ireland but the draft came on every year, and every year I was sat on the floor watching it, thinking about the day It'd be my name on the loud speakers. Now that I'm here I actually think I could do without all the attention. (laughs) Only jokin'. It's definitely surreal though, hard to believe it's real."

Reporter: "Any thoughts on Minnesota specifically, were you expecting them to be the team that called your name?"

Samuel Savage: "Can't say I was really expecting any team in particular but I couldn't be happier with how it's turned out, I felt like all the conversations I've had with their team over there had been really productive and there's some overlap in personnel with Newfoundland, not to mention they went and drafted my boy Balcy too, gotta love that. It's an amazing franchise with a big history, obviously they haven't had the best of times in the past couple decades but I think everyone with a set of eyes can see the success that they're setting themselves up for and potentially being a part of this new era for them is beyond exciting."

Reporter: "Obviously it's not up to you but do you have any idea as to how long you see yourself in the SMJHL before making the jump to the Monarchs?"

Samuel Savage: "Like you said, it's not up to me, and I'm sure most guys here would love to make it to their big clubs as soon as possible but I'm really in no hurry, I mean when it happens, that's beautiful, every kids dream, but Newfoundland took a big risk in bringing me over here and I didn't come just to treat them like a stepping stone, the guys in that locker room are my brothers and there's somethings I really want to accomplish with them before I even worry about whether I'm 'pro ready' or not. They're great craic, can't stress enough how much the boys have done for me."

Reporter: "Thank you for your time and congrats again Samuel, any final words for those watching at home?"

Samuel Savage:
"Uh yeah, sure, um...Mom, Dad, Grandad, Kieran, love ya's, miss ya's, hope I'm making you all proud. That reminds me actually, My grandads dad was in the IRA and he used to tell us when we was little, "Always fight for the things youse believe in, cause this world is gonna make you fight no matter what, at least this way, it'll always be for something." So yeah, I don't know. Any kids out there, listen to my great grand-dad I guess..he was a smart guy."

Samuel can't help but give a short laugh and a shrug to cap off his slight ramblings, as he hands the microphone back the the reporter and gives him a friendly slap on the shoulder.

[Image: YADp0uU.png][Image: BxfKXyg.png][Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

Absolutely beauty of a pick.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

good shit

[Image: A12A5Km.png]

Lesgooooo

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: YOSHI.png?ex=65f214ee&is=65df9fee&hm=80f...e73badf86&]

+ rep very nice Woooo!

[Image: WcULpFF.png]

Can't wait to see Savage ruin some fools' day in the SHL! Monarchs Berserkers

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!