Create Account

Draft interview with Ryuuji Kawashima [DOUBLE DRAFT MEDIA]

[Gregg Welsh – The Toronto Gazette 04/04/2021]

Hockey talk in Toronto segment

Yesterday on the 3rd of April 2021 the 59th annual SHL draft occurred.  The Simulated Hockey League is known as the most pristine hockey league in the world and only the best of the best makes it into the development league known as the SMJHL. Prospects first play one full season in this junior hockey league, before the general managers of the SHL have the hard task of selecting which players will best represent their interests and team. One of the players who was a part of this S59 draft class was Ryuuji Kawashima. A Japanese born player, who moved over to northern America after playing his junior career in Japan. He declared his interest in being a part of the SHL and headed into the S58 SMJHL draft class. In this draft class he was selected 4th overall by the Anaheim Outlaws. With the Outlaws Kawashima was able to produce 27 points, 9 goals and 18 assists. Doing so while earning an average of 15:55 minutes of ice time per game. It was a rough season for the youthful Anaheim Outlaws as they finished the season 21-41-4, making them the worst team in the west and the third worst team in the overall rankings. They made a valiant effort in the playoffs and took the Colorado Raptors to a game 7, before falling to them in said game.

Heading into the SHL draft Kawashima’s draft destination fluctuated, as mock drafters had him going as high as first overall, while other had him going at the eighth overall spot and others placed him anywhere in between. One thing was certain though, Kawashima had made an impression with the scouts and teams were happy to get their hands on him. The draft started at 7pm Eastern Time and the Toronto North Stars who owned three picks in the top 6 (1st, 2nd, and 6th overall) made their first pick within minutes. It was defenseman Jay Sink, another highly touted prospect who had left his marks on the league. Only one player can be the first overall pick per year and this year it was his title to claim. With their second overall pick the North Stars picked up another defenseman. This time it was Dane von Gucci. With two back to back homerun picks the North Stars sat back and watched as the rest of the draft unfolded. The Minnesota Monarchs were up next and with their pick followed the trend of defenders being picked and selected Sekai Wolker. Up next was Edmonton who in fashion picked up defender Sven Svechnikov. With the 5th overall pick, Seattle who had only just acquired the pick in a trade earlier in the day, picked up the first forward of the draft Duad Ramza. Three studs had just been drafted and back to the stage came the North Stars. Rumours had been going around all day and it had come to Kawashima’s attention that him being drafted at 6th overall was a real possibility. Then finally his name was said as the Toronto GM proudly stood there with a jersey and a hat for Kawashima. He gladly accepted these and thanked the general manager for taking a chance with him.

Today the Toronto Gazette will sit down with Kawashima and we will find out everything about him. Who is Kawashima and how excited is he to play for his new team?

Gregg Welsh: Welcome to the Gazette interview, Ryuuji. Congratulations being drafted 6th overall by the Toronto North Stars. How did it fell when you heard your name being called out?

Ryuuji Kawashima: Thank you very much Gregg. Rumours through the grapevines had linked me and the North Stars with that pick, but to hear your name actually be called out is a feeling that just made me feel absolutely ecstatic. I had a great draft interview with the general manager of the team, and it felt like a great fit. So, I can only be very happy that the North Stars took a shot drafting me.

Gregg Welsh: Sounds like Toronto was just a destined fit then. What do you think of the position you were drafted at? Do you think you went to high or that GMs might have been sleeping on you for you to drop to sixth?

Ryuuji Kawashima: I think this draft class had a great number of very fine prospects. I think every player who joins the SHL has dreams of being the elusive first overall pick. At the end of the day only one player can be that pick. I know that early on the pundits had me in the mix for first overall, which I felt was a realistic possibility. I think at the end of the day this is a perfect draft position for me. I would have loved to have the honour of being the first overall pick. However, at the end of the day I am just very happy to have been drafted to the North Stars. Whether that was first, second or as it was, sixth overall.

Gregg Welsh: Sounds like a great way to look at it. You were part of a massive draft move by the North Stars picking up three players in the first six picks. How familiar are you with your fellow draftees?

Ryuuji Kawashima: I was able to meet up with them during and after the draft and I think things have already hit off nicely. Having played against them during the season and just from other interactions during the previous drafts and in general. I knew them a bit already and even hoped to be drafted with them. So, with the way it all worked out I am very happy.

Gregg Welsh: How about the rest of the North Stars team? Have you been able to get to know them as well already?

Ryuuji Kawashima: Yeah, I have been able to get to know them a bit already. That is the beauty of modern technology. I was able to instantly join group chats and get a feeling of the group. They seem like a group of absolutely lovely people and cannot wait to get to know them more. Of course, I will be back to playing in Anaheim for the next couple of seasons but will be in contact with the team and looking forward to being able to join them when I get called up.

Gregg Welsh: Excellent stuff, speaking of the Anaheim Outlaws. Looking back on the season how do you feel regarding it?

Ryuuji Kawashima: It was a rough season, however looking at the squad we were a very young squad. I want to say about 11 of us were rookies in the league and I like to believe we put up a fight throughout the season. I think heading into next season things are going to look up. We will have a year of playing experience behind us and have grown as a squad. I also believe in Ace and our back room to have a solid draft in the upcoming draft which will also only help the team moving forward. So, I am very much looking forward to next season and seeing what we as a team can do. I hope to be able to play a big part in the team.

Gregg Welsh: Sounds like you are looking to step it up and help Anaheim to goodness. Having just been drafted to the big league. What is next on the cards for Ryuuji Kawashima?

Ryuuji Kawashima: I think it is just trying to become the best player I can be for my teams. Some minor concern around me in draft scouting would be around my ceiling. That is a concern I want to kick in the butt and show that I will be doing my best to reach my potential. Personally, that is the most important goal for me to reach. Show teams that those rumours about me being a potential first overall pick were justifiable. I think while I am playing with Anaheim, I would like to go on a good playoff run, maybe even win a cup if I want to be cheeky. That would be a great way to be able to finish my junior career. A dream would be to set a record for assists with the Outlaws. My goal is to become the best playmaker in the league and that would be a hell of a marker to get. I am not one to really be going after personal accolades. I am all for team accolades and helping my team reach those. They are always welcome, but not the main focus of mine.

Gregg Welsh: Sounds like you are a true team player. Any final thoughts you want to share with the world?

Ryuuji Kawashima: Well I just want to say how happy I am to have been drafted by Toronto, the level of trust the management put into me to trade up to get me has been very endearing. The team was very high on my draft board after our interview and I couldn’t have been happier to land there. I am working my butt off to be one of the best players in this stacked draft class. It will be tough, as so many other players in this draft will be fighting for that exact same recognition. I will gladly take on that challenge and prove the pundits right. Next season is going to be big for Anaheim as well I can feel it in my bones. Pew Pew Outlaw Crew and as they say in hockey, let’s do that hockey!

There you have it folks our interview with the Toronto North Stars newest forward prospect. We will be following Kawashima’s journey in the league with great interest and you expect for segments on this player in the future.

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

Congratulations Raven! Toronto got one hell of a player.

Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]
[Image: AceIn603.gif]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

04-04-2021, 08:30 AMAce Wrote: Congratulations Raven! Toronto got one hell of a player.

Thanks! Very happy to rep em, first a cup for Anaheim though!

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart