Create Account

A quick examination of the Blizzard Draft (2x draft media)

Well as the dust settles on My first SHL draft, I’ve had a chance to breathe and reflect. Wanted to start off by just taking a chance to thank my GM’s at Newfoundland Ham and Juke. As someone brand new to the league, these two have been so patient with all of my silly questions and basic confusion. They have patiently guided and supported me, and I am eternally grateful. This league is full of amazing people, but you two are something extra! Also so grateful to everyone in my Newfoundland locker room who have been so welcoming and friendly. Lots of love especially to departing captain Vaseline Podcalzone for the beeg vibes and for making the culture so damn wholesome. After all this buzz of the SHL draft dies down, I know we’re all back on task in the SMJL to bring home the Four Star Cup.

I also wanted to take a moment to thank Keygan and Tommy Salami. I got the sense right away from talking to you boys that this was gonna be the perfect destination for me, and I am loving the energy from the locker room, as well as from my new fellow draftees. I am motivated as hell to prove you guys right for believing in me. Really get the sense we're building something special here.

This brings me to the topic at hand: A quick analysis of why this Edmonton Draft class will surely prove to be foundational, setting the Blizzard up for a dominant run.

4 . Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard ( Wolfpack -> Blizzard ) - Sven Svechnikov

Pre-draft buzz had Sven as one of the top ranked defencemen in a stacked class, and its pretty easy to see why. A more offensively driven defenceman, Sven handled just under two minutes of powerplay time as a rookie! He managed 7 goals, and 15 assists, including 4 on the powerplay. Physicality is something that he doesn't shy away from either, dropping 74 bone crunching hits in his first season. Sven projects as the dominant offensive force that any team needs in order to have success. Play driving defencemen are a commodity, and Edmonton may have snagged the top choice in this draft.

10 . Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard ( Panthers -> Stampede -> Argonauts -> Barracuda -> Blizzard) - Pasta The Turtle

Yours truly at 10th overall. While this came as a bit of a shock to everyone, myself included, Edmonton traded up for a second defenceman, albeit one who profiles quite differently from their 4th overall choice. Bringing a more defensive mindset to his playstyle, Pasta is more focused on hits and blocked shots than goals and assists. I suspect many are salivating at the prospect of a Svechnikov - Turtle pairing in the future, with Sven wreaking havoc in the offensive zone, with Pasta keeping things tidy in his own end.

16 . Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (Renegades -> Blizzard ) - Slavakov Vladimirashenko

My boy Slavakov joins me in Edmonton. Slav VLadhjgsjkdlqjghjdq is an amazing teammate in Newfoundland, and has even found his way onto Canada Red with me despite being Russian by birth. Both of us employ a very physical style, as the Russian power forward not one to shy away from contact. Baby-Pod in many ways is modelled after Captain Vaseline Podcalzone - both in play style and in terms of the positivity and energy in the locker room. Being able to snag him at 16th seems to be an absolute steal, and an amazing end to the first round for Edmonton.

22 . Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard ( Wolfpack -> Blizzard ) - Artemius Nystrom

Another physical winger gets picked up at the start of the second round. Definitely starting to see a theme here from the Edmonton GM’s - playing against the Blizzard is not going to be pleasant. None of these picks are shy about plastering an opponent and Nystrom is no exception. The Colorado player also demonstrated their defensive prowess by putting up 30 seconds per game on the penalty kill. The prospect of a line with Vladimirashenko and Nystrom should strike fear into the hearts of an opponent.

24 . Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard ( syndicate -> Panthers -> Blizzard ) - Makrus "The Tater" Jager

After seeing two Berserkers picked in the first round, Edmonton followed up with a second Vancouver prospect. While I hesitate to bring too much attention to the German who is trying to keep a low profile, it is hard to contain my excitement when it comes to this playmaking center. In a shortened season, “The Tater” put up 3 assists, 19 hits and 23 second of penalty kill per game. Again, another one that fits the mold of defensively competent, and physical. I suspect there may be more to his offensive game than we have seen - I suspect many a winger will benefit from the vision of which Makrus has shown flashes. This pick will certainly also add a bit of flair to future Berserker - Whalers matchups!

49 . Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Dara McQuick

Another Whaler, and what kinda feels like a steal this late. This defenceman seems to be another more defensive orientated defenceman. Bringing the physicality with 53 hits, as well as contributing just under half a minute on the penalty kill, Dara projects to be another rock solid defenceman. I suspect there may also be the possibility of some two way upside, given the 16 points put up by Dara, despite not factoring into the powerplay very much. The Whaler-Blizzard pipeline is feeling real strong here!

WIth 3 forwards and 3 defensemen at the end of this draft, it sure feels like Edmonton is poised for success with a very solid core drafted here tonight. I could definitely see the 3 forwards drafted tonight combining into a bruising unit that will definitely lay the pain on the opponents. The three defencemen will also likely combine to create a very solid backbone, including some high end upside.

Be sure to tune in to all Vancouver Newfoundland games this year, to see some of the top Edmonton prospects duke it out in the quest for the 4 star cup, before they join forces to lay waste to the SHL.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better in the coming years!

(1031 words)

[Image: visceralpotamus.gif]

Loving this draft for the Blizzard so far!

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

great draft long live the  Blizzard Blizzard Blizzard Blizzard Blizzard Blizzard Blizzard Blizzard

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

Edmonton Fucks!

Pasta rocks!

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

we like the turtle

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

Blizzard
EDM best team
Whalers Whalers Whalers

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71