Create Account

Pre-Draft Experience (Double Media)

While I'm not new to sim leagues, this was my first time going through the SHL sim process. It was quite exciting to speak with several different GMs. I will detail my experiences here.

I first heard from the Newfoundland Berserkers. I can clearly see why they're a fantastic franchise as their scouts/GM were quite prepared. We had a really great discussion about what my future was, how I could help them, and just a generally good all around conversation. I could see myself becoming a fantastic player if I was drafted by the Berserkers, and I would obviously love to join a team so dominant.

Next I heard from the Maine Timber. I got to chat with someone else from the SHL, and funny enough we both play the same positions there! It's a small world after all. But we had a great discussion as to what my role would be here as well, and a great all-around chat. I'd obviously be thrilled to be drafted by the Timber. While they're towards the bottom of the standings right there, this could be a great fit as I could grow with the team, and I'd personally feel a ton of pride if I was one of the key cogs helping bring them back to the top of the standings.

The third team I heard from was Nevada. This is a solid all around team from top to bottom, and we had another good discussion. While this sounds repetitive, and maybe it is, so far I've been impressed with all the teams I've interacted with. Everybody here, as with the other teams, was respectful, kind, and helpful towards me. I mean, how else can I sum up this conversation, other than by saying me, a Maple Leafs fan, and the scout who I spoke with, a Habs fan, had a friendly conversation and enjoyed each other's company! If that's not a sign of quality all around people, I don't know what is. Like with the other two teams I've heard from so far, I'd be quite happy to go to Nevada.

Next I spoke with Anchorage. They have been a pretty dominant team the past few years. Their needs aligned perfectly with mine, as I wanted to go to a team that let me be a center that could score, and they were more than happy to oblige. In addition, they were happy to help me find a build that worked in both the short and long-term - what else can a guy ask for? A classy all around organization. They even helped me find some tools to help write some media for. I'd be quite happy to go to any of the teams I've talked to, and Anchorage is no exception.

The fifth team I spoke with was Quebec City. An honour to be thought of by such a talented organization. We have a nice chat, as we did with all the other teams. I felt a connection here, and it was another classy and well run organization. I would be quite happy to help continue the tradition of winning and go to Quebec City. Viva La Citadelles!

The next team I spoke with was the St. Louis Scarecrows, awesome name by the way. We had a great discussion as far as how I was enjoying the league, and they made it very personal by discussing some things with me that had shown that they'd taken a look at my posting history as well as my player which was a nice touch, I should add. We talked about some different options for my player and I thought this would be a great fit for me as well.

Kelowna messaged me next. We had a short but nice conversation about what my goals were as well as what I wanted to be as a player. We talked about a role for the short and long-term as well as other ideas, and I mean what draftee wouldn't want to start their career with a high end contender? I'd be happy to join here as well!

Next I was scouted by the Colorado team. We have a bit of an identity crisis here. But once we got beyond that we had another good discussion about work, life, and my role for the future in SHL. We had a good, friendly discussion here, and it was nice to know how they would support my player throughout my journey in the minors. I'd be happy to be drafted here as well!

Next I spoke with Vancouver and that was a fun conversation. We talked about the SHL, the Leafs, the Jays, the NHL, Vancouver's plans for the future in general and possibly with me as well. How they could help my player going forward. We had a nice long chat about SHL and they made it personal and overall was a great conversation. Consider yourself shocked, if you guessed I would ALSO be happy to be drafted here!

Finally, I spoke with the Carolina Kraken. I thought they had an interesting pitch as well, and it seemed like I would have the option to start at center, which was nice for me. I also liked the fact that we got along well, and as a rebuilding club I would have an impact here and help them rise back to prominence. So I'd be happy to come here as well.

So far that is 10 teams that I have heard from. The other teams I'm assuming don't have a pick, or don't expect me to be available at their pick, or do not want to draft me and have someone else in mind. Could be any number of reasons, really. I don't expect to be drafted by those teams, which is fine. Best of luck to them in the draft.

Overall it was a fun experience. It's interesting to see how teams approach it too. Some teams make it more personal than others, which is always appreciated. You can tell when a team is going through the motions, in a sense, or when a team has thoroughly looked into your posts and your player and brings up specific things when you're talking to you. It's always interesting to see the different approaches teams have. 

(1048 words)