Create Account

Teddy for Jesster Snubbed

So by no means am I saying that Teddy Park should win the Jesster but the fact that he was not nominated is a total crock in my opinion.

Park this season:

10 goals, 21 assists (good for 31 points), a -6 on a younger Baltimore team, 76 hits and 81 shots blocks. He played 18 minutes or so per night including averaging almost a minute and a half on the PK.

Now lets compare him to the other two honorable mentions before getting into a direct comparison with the forwards.

Park vs. Zoiderberg

Now for me although Park is my teammate, me and Jala go way back. Wtih that being said the fact that he had an honorable mention over park is ludacris.

Zoidberg had less goals and assists and a much better plus minus but he also played for a much better team. However he scored less points and plays a much weaker schedule which includes the two weakest teams of S58 in terms of the stadings (which is also how Odeline had so many blocked shots). Zoidberg defensively only had 54 hits and blocked 52 shots. The shots blocked to his defense are lower because he was playing against weaker teams who aren't able to muster as many shots. To me as much as I like Jala, his points were inflated by playing against weaker teams, while also being on a team that is better than BAP, and still Park was able to outscore him and beat him in most measurable/ important categories.

The case vs. Weaver. So I like Weaver, and some may say I might even have a beer with Weaver before I would with Trashae. I still don't get why he was nominated over Park either. Granted comparing goalies to defenseman is like comparing sneankers to apples, you just can't do it. However when looking at his season on a young Tampa Bay team, nothing to me stands out. He was not a top 15 goalie in save percentage (yes I know that backups are counted with that). He had one shut out but against some of those anemic teams in the west its hard not to shut them out. Hell even my own goalie had two and we are still developing. The point I am making is that yes rookie goalies are not often and they should be recognized. So on that merit I can get behind that. But at the same point, having a pedestrian season on a young team does not seperate you or make it worth saying that you should get a Jesster nomination over the leading scoring defenseman rookie.

The case vs Lamber is pretty much the same as the case for Zoidberg except.... this one isn't even at close. Being a +45 that Jala was meant that even though he may not have been scoring (having fallen three points. behind park) he was contributing to scoring or at least keeping the puck out of his own net. Lamber finished with just about the same +/- that Park did with a -5. On a team that plays weaker teams and does not have to play Eastern Conference teams as much to come out as a minus player is pretty bad. Not only that but he also does not beat Park in most statistical categories. This includes all of the points categories as well as hits. He nudges out Park in shots blocked but that's a moot point mostly. What also is worse that Lamber got specialty team time and was not able to do much with it as his points are not as good Park. All of Park's 31 points came from 5 vs 5 as he did not really play any power play. (In honesty he probably would have done more there than I did). I think this is another to me that does not make any sense.

For Vladamir Petrov, the case to me is a bit tighter. He did outscore Park, although he's a forward, that's his job. He also was playing on a weaker Tampa Bay team who will see a big jump this coming season as we get to see more of what they are about on the ice. However when it comes to comparing defenseman to forwards some stats should be higher and some should be lower. The fact that they're stats are so close together in my opinion gives the lean to Park as Petrov definitely should have separated himself further as one of the nominees did. For me, based on position Park definitely had a better season than Petrov. The only real impressive part was that Petrov was able to finish at a +/- of 0 on a team that was weaker than Baltimore.

The cases vs the nominees:
To me this is kind of harder to make. I think for Kondos, honestly nice season well deserved and I would honestly vote for him and the other nominee over Park. However the case against Yngve is something that's possible. Similar to rookies playing for juggernaut teams, the same can be same when you are playing weaker teams. As stated for the Calgary players, Yngve got to play against a bunch of games against Nola being in the same conference which definitely could have allowed him to inflate his point total. Same can be said for Kondos but there gets a point where the points are impressive as there as for him over Yngve. I think you could make a case that with a tougher schedule Park could get the nod over him but not Kondos.

The last person on this list who I actually would fight for the Jesster the same way I fought for Schmidt was Nicolae Antonescu. Forget looking at this for fun but take a real look at the FHM engine. Goalies are mostly just there until teams get closer together where then they matter more. At this point SFP is not really that strong so the goalie does not matter much and usually will get destroed. Except Antonescu did the oppissite. He was tied for 7th in the league for SV % which is a lot higher on that list than Weaver (hence why Park > Weaver). He also plays for one of the weakest team in the SHL and was still able to almost finish .500 (not including OTL). I think for me while Park should have been nominated or at least an honorable mention, I do hope that this year's Jesster goes to Antonescu or Kondo. I know that this won't change anything but figured Park could use some more love as he was a beast and won't forget this snub lightly.

[Image: andyj18.gif]

[Image: andybj18.gif]

[Image: pawter_meowski.png]

oh shit! thank you.  I'm wholly unbiased, but I think you make some great points here for the  Platoon rookie to at least get a vote.  Not quite hardware worthy,  but a rookie dman going almost .5pts/game and outscoring the other defensive rooks in less ice time (relative to those mentioned here) should at least be mentioned for awards.  If only the all-star committee voted on awards too. Finally, the last point I want to make is BRRRT

Interesting read for sure.

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]