Create Account

Edmonton Blizzard Draft Review [x2 Draft Media]

Ready to be graded

As a new kid in the Edmonton locker room after the New England Wolfpack sent me packing, it didn’t take long for me to not be the newest player in the locker room, as the Edmonton Blizzard had a busy draft day with five picks in the first three rounds. We welcomed five new players who will hopefully be a great part of the Edmonton Blizzard future. During the draft, the Blizzard also acquired Knockedout Byovechkin from the Tampa Bay Barracuda. He will also be covered in the article even though he wasn’t selected in the draft. Without further ado, here are the six new Blizzard prospect following the S58 draft:

Round 1 – Pick 4 – LD – Sven Svechnikov – 361 TPE

Best attributes: Checking, Acceleration and Stamina (13)

Known first and foremost as an offensive defenseman, this Swedish player had a great rookie season with the Vancouver Whalers, netting seven goals and fifteen assists, good for 22 points. He also achieved a positive differential of +8, which isn’t back for a rookie. He was also known to hit a lot, achieving more than a hit per game. However, his defensive game will need to improve, as he was prone to turnovers, giving away the puck 27 times for only 6 takeaways. Anyway, it’s not the kind of player you expect to put on a defensive clinic and if he can continue to improve his offensive side while cleaning up his defense a bit, Sven Svechnikov can become an elite defender. He wasn’t picked 4th overall for nothing. Svechnikov has an healthy bank account and is earning that will keep him afloat for a while. He’s the defenseman of the future for the Blizzard and we’re really proud to have him in the organization.

Round 1 – Pick 10 – RD – Pasta the Turtle – 342 TPE

Best attributes: Strength (13), Checking, Positioning, Defensive Read, Balance, Stamina (12)

The polar opposite of Svechnikov, Pasta the Turtle is know for his defensive side, rather than his offense. The big bodied turtle terrorized opponents in Newfoundland with about two hits per game. He had a positive takeaway to giveaway ratio, which is rare for a rookie. His offense was kinda good too, with three goals and nine assists, good for nine points. Just like Sven Svechnikov, Pasta the Turtle has a healthy bank account and a good TPE count for a rookie, proving that he can be a great defenseman, or defense turtle, for the Blizzard. I honestly think Pasta the Turtle’s and Sven Svechnikov’s style compliment each other really well and I wouldn’t be surprised if they end up playing together on the Edmonton blue line at some point. Another good pick for the Blizzard that fits with long term plans.

Round 1 – Pick 16 – RW – Slavakov Vladimirashenko – 299 TPE

Best attributes: Screening, Getting Open, Stamina, Strength (12)

Well, this name is a mouthful. Slavakov Vladimirashenko is another big-bodied player who doesn’t shy away from a corner battle or getting in front of the net. Another Newfoundland product, Vladimirashenko had an excellent rookie season on the Berserkers’ fourth line, with three goals and fourteen assists, good for seventeen points. He had a little trouble with his puck possession, with a negative 22 giveaway to takeaway ratio, but it is expected with an inexperienced rookie. What’s impressive about Vladimirashenko is his impressive offensive output despite his limited minutes. I’m genuinely intrigued to see what he can do with more playing time, because as of right now, sky seems to be the limit for the Russian winger. Hopefully, it’s a sign of things to come for him with the Edmonton Blizzard.

Round 2 – Pick 22 – LW – Artemius Nystrom – 278 TPE

Best attributes: Hitting (13), Speed (13)

The enormous Swedish power forward has an unusual combo of high attributes, with impressive speed despite his size. Nystrom had a rough first season with the Raptors, as their roster depth relegated him to a limited role, but he still managed to have seven points in thirty-seven games. Nystrom, alongside Vladimirashenko, fits the Edmonton playing style really well and it will be interesting to see his development in the next couple of seasons. He has a low bank account, but that doesn’t seem to be a concern at the moment.

Round 2 – Pick 24 – C – Makrus “The Tater” Jager – 259 TPE

Best attributes: Faceoff (13), Puckhandling, Offensive Read, Stamina (12)

A German center with a certain offensive flair, Makrus “The Tater” Jager had a hard time establishing rhythm on the Whalers fourth line last season, with just three points in thirthy-two games. However, the Blizzard management saw something in the player as they chose him to complete their draft lineup. With the Jager pick, Edmonton has drafted a skater at every position in the top 25, which is really impressive. Jager has a decent bank account that should help him develop for the foreseeable future. It remains to be seen whether his offensive game will improve during his sopohomore season with the Whalers, but I have no doubt it will.

Round 3 – Pick 49 – RD – Dara McQuick – 257 TPE

Best attributes: Acceleration (14), Speed, Stamina (13)

A lightning quick defender, McQuick is another member of the Whalers squad who showed big promise in Season 58. With 14 points in 66 games, the Blizzard management was surprised to see McQuick still available this late in the draft and decided to make the pick. While McQuick will have to focus on hockey skills in the future, as the physical attributes are clearly there. This is an intriguing defender that may very well end up being a steal.

This is it for the Blizzard draft this season. However, the team acquired another player before the draft in KnockedOut ByOvechkin. 

RW – KnockedOut ByOvechkin – 839 TPE

Best attributes: A lot of attributes at 13

A well-rounded player, KnockedOut ByOvechkin will graduate from the SMJHL next season and will be part of the Edmonton Blizzard roster moving forward. ByOvechkin, a former Four Star Cup champion, should feel right at home in Edmonton as I believe he fits their style of play really well. He had an awesome third year with the Whalers with a career fifty seven points in sixty six games, which is genuinely impressive, as only a few players can claim to flirt with a point per game. He has an excellent bank account that should help move forward and is a good earner, so he will continue to improve. Sky is the limit for him.

So, there you have it folks, this was a small draft review of the Edmonton Blizzard for Season 58. As a new member of the organization, I can say it’s nice to see the team filling the prospect pipeline, as there were only two of us when I arrived! I feel like the organization is in good hands moving forward and I personally think the team had an excellent draft day. As I now turn my attention to my last SMJHL season, I will be sure to follow the Edmonton Blizzard more closely, as it will be my home in S60!

[Image: eMf7wNV.png]

Excited to see all seven of these players taking the ice for the Blizzard in the near future.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

For a second I thought we drafted a guy with almost 900 tpe. Awesome writeup man!

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride