Create Account

Radio Silence: Keahi without a Contract
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2021, 04:17 PM by MyLittleHexx.)

It's been almost a week since the S59 SHL draft concluded. It's been almost a week since the start of Free Agency. In that time, we've seen many free agent signings and draft signings. One massive signing was Seattle locking up Michael Scarn for the next season. It's a fun time as we see movement throughout the league, whether it be free agents moving to a new city or deals being made to free up cap space. For some players though, it is an incredibly frustrating time. A time where you are unsure if you'll get a contract, if you'll be playing in the SHL again. This is the case for free agent Justin Keahi, who has yet to be presented a contract by any team.

"It's frustrating, you know? First before the draft I'm told that they might shop me around, that they have to bring some players up or risk losing them to waivers. I get it, you don't want to lose anyone for free. I get a few updates from the general manager telling me that there might be a deal in place, but you never know. So I sit and wait, unbothered if I'm traded or not. Then the draft hits, and honestly I don't think anything of it. I know Tampa is looking to trade their picks and move around, but it seems to last minute for them to move me. So the draft passes and I'm looking at my phone. Free agency is the next day, and not a single message. Nothing about a new contract. Just radio silence. The day passes, and next thing I know it's free agency."

The aggressive forward had an interesting season this past year. Falling just shy of the 30 point mark, the forward showed up more on the physical side of the statistics. A total of 100 penalty minutes, six fights, 58 shots blocked, and 225 hits put Keahi as one of the most physical player the Barracuda iced this season. Despite these stats though, Keahi has yet to hear from any teams regarding a contract.

"It's shocking to be honest. Usually, Tampa has contacted me about a new contract before the draft, or hours after free agency. This year, nothing. No contracts have been sent to my agent with them, it's just be dead air. Do I want to return to Tampa? Of course, I want to go all the way with this team. When you don't get a contract offer, it gets frustrating. I've put a lot of hard work to make this team, and made the sacrifices same as everyone else to help build this team from a joke into a playoff hopeful. I'm not out here to burn bridges, I'm out here to get paid to play hockey. Right now, I have no contract in place that will allow me to play hockey and get that dosh.

Then it's been almost a week since free agency opens, and no teams have contacted me? I'm sitting here waiting, thinking maybe a team needs a hard-nosed player like me. You know how much money has been offered to me? A big fat goose egg. That's right, nothing. Nada, zilch, zero money has been offered to me. I had one team come in and discuss potentially bringing me in, but no hard offer was made. No amounts were thrown out. I'm sitting here, thinking to myself, 'Is this my last year? Is my role not needed, do teams not need physical players?' It's frustrating to be sitting at home, wondering if I'm going to play hockey this season. I'm putting in the work on and off the ice, but I'm not getting any offers.

I might as well just start looking up the local ice rinks and seeing if any beer leagues need me. It might be the only way I'll play hockey this season. Maybe I'll start looking at international rosters, see if there is a role for me somewhere in the IIHF. I'm here to play hockey and work hard, but right now all I can do is work hard. It's frustrating being this talented, but not getting the chance to continue to show why I'm one of the best physical player in the world right now."

Seemingly strong words coming from Keahi, who hopes to enter his fourth season of competition in the SHL. Many interesting topics to pick out of this interview, ranging from the lack of contracts to the possibility of him transferring into an IIHF nation to be able to play hockey. Here's hoping the young winger gets a chance to play somewhere in the SHL this season.

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

Hope you find somewhere to play. Seattle's team is pretty full right now, which is probably the case for a lot of places too (expansion when), but even then had no idea you were even an FA. We need to start having FA tracker posts every offseason like on ISFL to avoid weird shit like this.

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

04-10-2021, 05:13 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: Hope you find somewhere to play. Seattle's team is pretty full right now, which is probably the case for a lot of places too (expansion when), but even then had no idea you were even an FA. We need to start having FA tracker posts every offseason like on ISFL to avoid weird shit like this.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a FA tracker posted in the League Transactions page 10 or so seasons ago

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page

04-10-2021, 05:24 PMMyLittleHexx Wrote:
04-10-2021, 05:13 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: Hope you find somewhere to play. Seattle's team is pretty full right now, which is probably the case for a lot of places too (expansion when), but even then had no idea you were even an FA. We need to start having FA tracker posts every offseason like on ISFL to avoid weird shit like this.

I'm pretty sure there used to be a FA tracker posted in the League Transactions page 10 or so seasons ago

Yup there definitely did it was super helpful. May be more than 10 seasons ago at this point, since I know it was around and really helped when I was GM'ing Portland and later Texas (around S40-44)

Think it would be beneficial to bring something like that back (if we don't gives me an idea for a seasonal media piece for free agent frenzy...)

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

Wow sad to here Hexx, also I've been chiming that tune as well in EDM LR about the lack of UFA's visibility. I even offered to do it internally because it bugs the shit out of me. Plus all the shl budget sheets which should be a pretty good place to look up and find such players is hardly ever up to date!

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

Remember, you're here forever

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Expansion pls

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

i also cant get a contract of high value it's a tough world

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

04-10-2021, 09:27 PMBoomcheck Wrote: i also cant get a contract of high value it's a tough world

sorry to break it to you but hexx got a contract

[Image: glutes2.gif]
Signatures by Vulfzilla, Jepox, Jess, rum_ham, Ragnar, and myself
[Image: 9vAsr7c.png]
[Image: tkMQzhf.png] [Image: tdKmZA0.png]

04-10-2021, 09:27 PMBoomcheck Wrote: i also cant get a contract of high value it's a tough world

10x10

10x69

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland