Create Account

S59 SMJHL PT #5 - Most valuable player

After taking a look at the index for the first time, I can say that there are some great players that have shown out during my rookie season of SMJHL play. Starting from the goal scorers, we have the Detroit Falcons Left Wing Kermit Murphy. Through 61 games, Murphy has a league leading 28 goals, combined with 27 assists to make a total of 55 points on the season. While this total points amount isn't league leading, it is true that Murphy is 100% the MVP of the Detroit Falcons, as he is the offensive powerhouse for the team, by being both #1 in points and goals, combined with being #3 on the team in assists, makes him a premiere MVP candidate for the league as a whole. While other players have more points, like Kelowna's McFelter, he has lots more assists, but I believe that that in order to be the most valuable, you have to score the most goals, not just assist them.

165 words

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: lIYTYDN.png] [Image: 9pUocRs.png] [Image: tCcIWQC.png] 
[Image: Skree.gif]

Determining a league MVP is always a tricky proposition. Because hockey is a team sport, it can be incredibly difficult to separate out an individual performance from the performance of the team around him. Some players look better because they are surrounded by other talented players. Other players may be better, but don't have the talent around them to put up the offensive statistics to help get noticed. But there is a trophy to be handed out, so here are my top three candidates for this year's MVP Award.

1. Cole Carter, LW, Anchorage

This could have easily gone to his linemate, centerman Pablo Salvatici, as they have identical stats. This is purely a matter or personal preference, but I chose to go with Carter because he especially always seems to slaughter the Scarecrows when we play them. The only real concern is that Carter and Salvatici may split votes, leaving the door open for someone else to sneak in as the MVP award winner.

2. Robert Feltersnatch, RD, Kelowna

Defenseman rarely draw attention for MVP awards because it is hard for them to put up as many points as forwards, but as a fellow defenseman, I like to see them get some attention for the award. Feltersnatch is the second-highest scoring defenseman in the league and he, along with the rest of Kelowna really, put up some insane possession numbers. He also logs over 23 minutes per game, which is really impressive.

3. Vincent Mietitore, G, Anaheim

Goaltending is one position that can be a little easier to separate out from the rest of the team in terms of statistics, though that's not always the case. There was some controversy earlier this season about just how good Anaheim was. They may not have the most talented roster, but they definitely have the league's best goalie in Mietitore, who leads the SMJHL in save percentage among starting goalies. Stopping over 92% of his shots gives his team a chance to win every night.

PBE Affiliate

[Image: Oa8OpwNyDg-K2JwGMV_wCV9Yt4_2wZc5y5QPLUXn...authuser=0]

PBE Affiliate Claim

[Image: SouthPaw.gif]

The MVP award. It is the most coveted award by players each season. While I think there are many different qualifiers that would lend credence to an individual's case for the award, I instead present the idea of looking not at stats, but at hair. If we looked at every player's lettuce and gave the award to them based on that, the clear winner would be me, Alfred Yankovic. Just look at my flow. Perfectly groomed with a sheen that blinds opposing skaters. Mr. Yankovic's flow improves the morale of his team's skaters. Yankovic was a waiver addition for QCC last season. The outcome? They won the cup. Coincidence? I think not. Additionally, Al scored a hat trick as a defenseman. I'm pretty sure that's only happened, like, two other times in the history of the league. This should be a cut and dry case for the voters. Al is the league MVP because of his devilish flow, plain and simple.

I would say there are a number of players that are in the running for MVP. We have hyper efficient Cain McFelter from Kelowna who seems to be doing it all. We have the very scary tandem of Pablo Salvatici and Cole Carter from Anchorage who are tied at the top of the league in points; however one must wonder if two potential MVPs on the same team might prevent either one from winning. Both Kelowna and Anchorage are at the top of the league atm so I don't think record will affect much. Vincent Mietitore has been playing quite well in net for Anaheim and leads active starters in SV%, if he seperates himself more from the field then I think his name will get some buzz. While not quite at the top of the standings, QCC's own Igor Petrov has seemed to carry the owls on his back at times and I do hope that he'll get some love come awards voting; he's earned it.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2021, 09:49 PM by CheerfulBender20.)

What criteria should be used to crown the most valuable player?  The relevant factors seem innumerable, encompassing traits that the uninitiated often overlook.  Some of the more esoteric considerations include:

*Best gambler
*Least likely to give unsolicited crypto advice
*Does not complain about minor - and almost wholly reversible - transporter complications. 

Frankly, it’s all very overwhelming.  I’m going to make several suggestions, allowing the discerning readers to make up their own damn minds.  You are not allowed to get mad at me.

The Obvious Contenders

Cian McFelter - C, Kelowna Knights
Jesse Trudeau - LW, Newfoundland Berserkers

The most points on the best team - seems like a damn good heuristic for determining SMJHL MVP.  With  sixty-six points through sixty-three games, Cian McFelter is primed to lead the Pacific Conference’s red-hot Kelowna Knights to playoff glory.  

Similarly, Newfoundland Berserker’s Left Wing Jesse Trudeau paces the J’s Atlantic Conference with sixty-three points through sixty-four games.  More importantly, Jesse has racked up a whopping forty-five assists!  Who wouldn’t want to play with this saint?

Now some folks say, “Miles, don’t you think you should account for PDO and other advanced statistics, refraining from a facile analysis that relies solely on total points?”  To which I say, with the utmost respect, “Get back to your Counterstrike game, Nerd!!!!”  

The Somewhat Contrarian (But not really)

Roboute Gouilliman - C, Kelowna Knights

As stated above, Cian McFelter has the most points on the best team in the SMJHL, all but ensuring an MVP nod from the Awards Committee.  As a man of science, however, I must posit:  is McFelter even the best center on his team?  

While trailing McFelter in points, fellow center Roboute Gouilliman has absurd CORSI and Fenwick statistics, leading the Knights in both relative Corsi For and Fenwick For percentages.  Shockingly, with a PDO of 99.2, Gouilliman has slightly underperformed relative to expectation.  A dark-horse candidate emerges.

We Love Our Beautiful Goalies, Don’t We Folks?!?!?!

Vincent Mietitore - G, Anaheim Outlaws

I would be remiss if I didn’t recognize our wonderful goalies.  After all, playing with those plastic goalie cutouts just plain sucks.  Mietitore leads the league in save percentage, putting him in contention for MVP honors.

[Image: 22HFBQB.png]

PBE PT Affiliate

[Image: 1PU6YuX.png]
         [Image: JiycRrd.png]

In my opinion, I think Jesse Trudeau deserves to be one of the top contenders for the Ideen Fallah trophy. He is one of the left wingers from the Newfoundland Berserkers, and currently has 12 goals and 32 assists, for 42 points in 47 games, which is absolutely incredible in my opinion. He is second in the Sim Junior Hockey League in terms of plus-minus, currently sitting with a +32. He is a very good 5 on 5 player, which can be very valuable in close games, and can lead to a game-tying or game-winning goal. He has a good chance at helping the Berserkers make a deep run in the playoffs, and show people he's the real deal. He's a big part of Newfoundland's success, and should be heavily considered for the Ideen Fallah trophy. If he can continue this run into the next season, I could see him setting franchise records, and possibly going down in history as one of the best Berserkers players ever

I think the leading candidate at this point in the season for Most Valuable Player should definitely be Jesse Trudeau. Although he is not at the top of the league in points, he more than makes up for it in the +/- category. Trudeau is third in the league with a +/- of 41, but the only two ahead of him have points of 49 and 45 compared to Jesse's 63. Not the biggest goal scorer, but Trudeau leads the league in assists at 45. He is obviously the main facilitator for his team, and is an occasional goal scorer with 18 which is nothing to sneeze at either.

Another player who can win the MVP award is Cian McFelter. McFelter is tied for the league lead in points with 66, how ever he is a more potent goal scorer than the other two with 25 scored, good for 3rd in the league. Also compared to the other two leaders in points with 11 and 10 in the +/- category, McFelter is a +30 which shows how valuable he is on the ice. He is not only a point machine, but he helps his team win too.

[Image: Bjorn_Bjorn_Sig.png]
[Image: bjornswedengif.gif]