Create Account

No Sophomore Slump, Top Cheddar Shines in Second Season

(ANAHEIM, California) The Mighty Outlaws of Anaheim have had themselves one heck of a season. After early projections set the bar on the floor for the California icers, the team has rallied off the backs of improved performances from familiar faces and a spark from a strong rookie corps. The team sits at 30-29-5 with two games remaining in the regular season.

One player who has had a breakout season IS SMJHL sophomore Top Cheddar. After a dreadful rookie campaign in which he only put two points on the score sheet all year, Cheddar has found his touch on North American ice. The forward put up 21 goals and 14 assists this year. His knack for finding the net on the power play was the fuse that lit the match on Cheddar's offense, with a 8-4-12 point spread with the man advantage.

Some of Cheddar's success can be attributed to his rededication to using his imposing physical frame to lay the body and create open ice for himself and his teammates. Cheddar threw 71 hits this season and blocked 54 shots. What's even more impressive is the discipline he demonstrated, recording only 26 PIMS all season.

SHL Commentator Dick Shivers had the opportunity to sit down with Top Cheddar, and here were the highlights of their conversation.

Dick Shivers: And your recent success, how much do you think it has to do with you and how much do you think it has to do with the team you play for?

Top Cheddar: The Outlaws organization has believed in me from day one, when no one else on this entire continent did. The coaching staff laid out a workout plan for me that allowed me to gain the strength needed to play my game here. Coach Tsitzling worked with me and found me ways to excel on the ice. The team has had a big part in my success, and I don't think I'd have the season I had this year if it wasn't for the Outlaws organization. However, I do know that many things are ultimately my responsibility, and only I can walk through the door and keep improving to one day reach my dream of cracking an SHL roster.

----------

DS: In Anaheim, just outside one of the most exciting cities on the planet, have you found it hard to keep focus?

TC: I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it difficult to keep focus sometimes. LA is full of great sights, a lot of history and entertainment, great food, beautiful people, and crazy nightlife. It's been a blast getting to take the town with my teammates and paint it Outlaw red. I've even run into a few Panthers players at some of the local hot spots. It was great to see them in a different environment and pick their brain about hockey.

---------

DS: You're currently in the New England Wolfpack organization. Have they had much contact with you this season? Are you at all worried about the upcoming Expansion Draft?

TC: Not really, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I think they've had their hands full after a tough season, and I've had my hands full with my own development. I'd expect to have further conversations once their season has concluded. The last conversation I had with management was very candid, which I appreciate. They told me that their forward pipeline was very full, and that it would take a lot of work on my end to ever crack the roster. I think some players may have been discouraged by that, but I've been motivated to work even harder. I don't want to just be another player in the SHL, I want to be elite. If that's with the Wolfpack, I'd be thrilled. If they want to go a different direction for whatever reason, I can guarantee that whatever team takes a chance on me is getting a motivated player, a great leader, and a disciplined student of the game. Whatever happens with Expansion I will roll with it.

-------------

DS: A season has passed since you fell to the third round of the SHL draft and were one of the last players taken off the board. Has that played any role in your breakout season?

TC: I think it served as a wake up call, to be honest. I wasn't expecting to get drafted at the top, I knew that I struggled in my rookie year and, because of my late declaration, wouldn't have the on paper development that top prospects typically have. But I did feel like maybe my talents were overlooked by some clubs, or that folks expected me to go back to Europe and give up on my dream of playing in the SHL. Some of those people aren't going to be convinced until my induction into the Hall of Fame, and I'm okay with that. I don't hold no grudges or animosity, I'm just hungry. Hungry for the big leagues. Hungry for a Four Star cup, and a Challenge Cup in the near Future. Hungry to be the best player I can be. The Wolfpack saw that and took a chance on me. I think the rest of the league will realize their mistake soon.

-------------

DS: What are you excited for today, Top? What is getting you out of bed and into the gym or onto the practice ice?

TC: Right now it's the SMJHL playoffs. We're 6-2-2 going into these last couple of games. I think we're all playing our best hockey right now, and everyone knows that success in the SMJHL playoffs comes down to who gets hot at the right time. I think this club is scorching right now, and I want the fans to know that we're going to leave it all out on the ice for you. We think we can be the last team standing, and I hope you're ready for an exciting ride.

I'm also excited about the IIHF WJC tournament. I was surprised to make the roster last season, and even though there were hiccups throughout the tournament itself, I still appreciated the opportunity to lace it up with my Swedish comrades and play for something bigger than myself. I think the Swedish Fish are going to make a big splash this year, I think the IIHF has solved the issues with the tournaments logistics, and I'm really excited to spend my offseason with the Swedes.

(1137 Words)

Nice.
+1

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria