Create Account

The Prospect that No One Wanted (2x media)

Bryce McMahon met with a writer for the Baltimore Associative Press and spoke about his journey to the SHL.

Bryce, thank you for meeting with me. We all have kept tabs on the team through the last couple seasons and you were certainly an under the radar signing for the team. What prompted you to make the move to Baltimore those seasons ago?

Well to be honest, free agency was a surprise to me. I was in the Edmonton system and was just coming off of a championship in the J with Vancouver. I felt I was ready to make the jump to the next level after the show I put on that season. Then I never got a call about an extension or anything from management. Just radio silence. The guy I had shared a line with for two seasons, Nikiforov, was getting called up to Baltimore and I was out there in the free market just waiting for someone to give me a call or something. He must have put in a good word with those guys because next thing I know, Baltimore is coming up to me and offering me a contract. 

Do you think the whole situation with Edmonton had any effect on you mentally? 

I was never thought of as a top prospect. I did not have teams lined up to scout me before draft day. I had to bide my time to get any kind of contract offer. I was the prospect that no one wanted. Edmonton took a flyer on me in the fourth round. I had next to no leverage in any negotiations because I was not a top player in my class. I am still not, but certainly am better than a lot of players taken ahead of me. As far as on the ice, not at all. I still go out there every game and give it my all. 

Do you think there is a reason you were passed on so heavily?

I am sure everyone has their reason, but at the time I had no clue. I was putting all that I could into my game yet never saw anyone bat an eye at me. I was not a controversial figure in the league so watching all these teams pass on me was disheartening. Did I mess up somehow? Was I just not good enough to make it on a top level roster? There were so many questions racing through my head. The thoughts of retirement were certainly there. I am sure every struggling prospect has those thoughts, but just having the chance of making a major roster was enough to keep me going. Now look at me. 

You never played a game for Edmonton after being drafted. What was your experience with them and their management? 

Following draft night they invited me to their practice facility to get more of a feel for a major locker room. It was an eye opening experience. It was the first point where I stepped back and said “I made it''. Of course there was still a long road ahead being just a prospect and all but just being there and talking with those guys helped fuel that fire to get better. I used their knowledge to improve my game in Vancouver. I have always been a step behind the other guys in that draft so I needed to get every edge I could. I spent a few more seasons down in juniors and knew that my contract would be up just before I was slated to be called up. I had heard nothing from the front office and was left untendered. I have no hard feelings against the organization. They did what they had to do to field a high level team and compete. I was not part of that plan being a bit of a project per say so they let me go. They are just mentors to me now. Just a name on a record saying I was drafted.

Being that ‘project’ prospect, who has become your greatest mentor and helped you grow your game?

At the start of all things, it was my teammate William Hartmann. He was the big player in Vancouver when I was there. He was a top prospect so there was much that I could learn from him. I worked with him during the offseason between years two and three and I finally got to show off my scoring touch that season. He was a great linemate. Always came out to play, never slacking for a second. A great locker room guy as well. He had that leadership quality to him and it really showed on and off the ice. The guy right now that I really look up to is Krash. He is just a monster on the ice. You look on the scoresheet and see his name but that is not what I have taken from him. He goes out there and plays a physical game. I am a bit on the smaller side so I cannot be afraid of taking hits or blocking shots. Since I have had time with him during practice, I have gotten that confidence to take guys on along the boards or even diving in front of the crease to block a one-timer. He creates space with his body and in turn gets rewarded. 

With the news of expansion coming next season, how will your role change as players get moved from the team?

I am fortunate to be protected by the team. That says a lot about their trust in my abilities. I know I still have a lot to prove to them and the league. As for my role on the team. I have had talks with the coaching staff and there might be a big shakeup in store following the expansion draft. I cannot reveal anything just yet, but keep an eye out for that. 
There have been talks in the league about changing the training regulations, how do you think that will affect you and the league as a whole?
Big changes are in store for sure. The veterans will see a bigger hit from this. They are used to one way and might have trouble adapting to change. I look forward to seeing what the league is planning on implementing going forward. Should be an opportunity to get a step ahead of all the rest and finally put up some big point totals.

One final question for you, if there is one person you could thank for your success in the league who would it be?

You know, there have been a lot of people to assist me during my career. I have worked with so many different coaching staff and personnel. The one guy that had the biggest impact on me has to be Nik. We were teammates in Vancouver for three seasons and linemates for two of those three. We built great chemistry, being a top line in the league and propelling Nik to an MVP trophy and the team to a championship. When I became untendered, he came to me and said that if the guys at Baltimore reach out that I should consider joining the team. I ended up with the team and the rest is history. He has really grown into a top level player and even though we aren’t on the same line anymore, I know we both can produce at a high level again and lead this team to a championship. 

Thank you once again for meeting with me today and good luck next season with the Platoon.

(1273 words)

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]

Extremely glad we have you in Baltimore. Been a joy to share the LR with you. Everyone here is excited that you can be part of this team for years to come. We all have reasons that teams might not want to hold onto our players or have us around. But there is always a brighter side with an opportunity right around the bend. Thank you for the shoutout, Moosey.

We're going to get that Championship in Baltimore too. Might take a few more years than Vancouver, but we're on the right track. Let's keep it going!

[Image: 2Y6XCEF.png]
[Image: Xwhw2zl.gif]
[Image: 2utoLVQ.png]

Platoon

[Image: jjfrankiejj.gif]
Credits to OrbitingDeath, Tweedle, Incite, Wasty, and Slothfacekilla for sigs!

Player Profile | Update Page

Nice article! Can’t wait to get a championship with you and the rest of the BAP fam!

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]