Create Account

What Friends Are Made For
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2021, 06:40 PM by SilverCannon.)

Hi, if you don't already know, and you most likely do, my name is Steve Collins. Getting drafted was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. It was filled with suspense and happiness. But today, I'm going to start talking about all the things that led up to that point. What I'm talking about is the Prospect Showcase. 

One day I got a call from my agent that before the SMJHL Draft, there would be a Prospect Showcase to show off talent I guess. Later in the day, he contacted me again to say that the rosters for the teams were posted. I checked on the website and it said that I would be on the Phoenix Screaming Cacti. So a couple of days later I left my house in Los Angeles, California to go to my very first practice with my team. When I got to the rink, I was probably the most nervous I have ever been. I kept thinking about what the other players would think of me and if I would even get to know any of the people. So before I left got to the rink, I took one last check of the roster to see if I recognized anyone. Again, I came up empty. Scared out of my mind, I walked into the rink with my hockey bag and walked over to the locker room. I took one last deep breath before I opened the doors. I opened the doors and...

it was empty. 

No one was in there. I looked at the time, 9 am. The practice didn't start until 10, so I figured that I was the first one there. So I went around the locker room to find my stall. Eventually, I found it. I was in the corner, where I wanted to be, where I could socialize with as few people as possible. Eventually, people started rolling in, but as more people started to come in, the more I just looked at things on my phone. As I started to get dressed in my hockey gear, I realized someone walking into the locker room. It wasn't a strange sight as many people had walked into the locker room before. I looked up again and I saw a deer. I wondered, "Hold on, did I see that right? A deer?!?" Eventually, I put my earphones back in and continued to get dressed. As I got onto the ice, I found the ice to be so clear and so smooth. We started practice just warming up and putting shots on the goalie and then the coach decided to have a 4 on 4 scrimmage. So he split us up into two teams and I was put onto the team with a deer. I decided to just come over my introvertedness (before I continue is that even a word?) and talk to the guy. So I came up to him and he appeared to be a really nice guy or deer for that matter. We discovered that we had a lot in common and we started to become very good friends. I asked him what his same was and he said it was Sam. As we got onto the ice, we were put on the same line. That's when I realized that we really jelled together. We made such great passes and it seemed he had a lot of hockey sense. We scored a few goals and I was now starting to get excited about the tournament. 

Apparently, the coach found out that Sam and I were great players on the ice together, so he put us on the same line. It seemed to work out as Sam and I was setting up goals for each other left and right. Through the first 3 games, I already had 2 goals and it seemed that this tournament would go well. Sadly we lost in the 1st round of the playoffs to the Toyoko Yoshis. Even though I was disappointed, I was happy to be able to be a part of something great. It was such a great experience playing with the teammates that I maybe could eventually become on the same team with them in the future. Even after the tournament, I stayed in touch with Sam. I found out that Sam lives in Portland, Oregon, the state above California. So it would be easy to meet up if we wanted to. Draft day came and my palms were sweaty (knees weak, arms are heavy, vomit on my sweater already, mom's spaghetti) and I was so nervous. I texted Sam to see how he was and he said he was the same as me, nervous. All I knew is that my draft interviews seemed to go well and I was happy for whatever team would draft me. I had my hunch on maybe what teams would draft me as some interviews went better than others, but overall, was excited. The first 2 rounds went through and still no call of my name. I started going through the third round to see what teams could draft me, and I saw a couple. So I just sat and waited patiently. 6 picks rolled by and then came the St. Louis Scarecrows. The pick was in and...

I was shocked when I heard my name. I just sat there, with my mouth open, not knowing what to do. I eventually came back to life and took a picture of the occasion. I was just so happy. I was sent some texts by the owner of the Scarecrows and I was so happy to finally accept those contracts and to be drafted. I ended up watching until Sam got drafted, which came a little over a round later. I texted him a congratulations and I was happy for him. Sadly we didn't get drafted by the same team, actually, no one from the Screaming Cacti was drafted by the Scarecrows. But I can't wait to play and beat Sam one day...

(1014 Words)

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2021, 06:02 PM by EsAmYk.)

Can't wait to beat you out on the ice... NERD Battleborn

For real though, congrats on being drafted ahead of me, and good luck to you and the Scarecrows!

-Sam the Deer

[Image: SS.png]                                        [Image: image0.png?width=268&height=375]                                        [Image: ACapSiege1.png?width=500&height=362]

Hope nothing but the best for your up coming season erCan, err... I mean, Steve Collins!

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska