Create Account

North Stars Draft: An Intimate Appraisal [2x draft media]

Hello, Simulation Hockey league and other simulation aficionados! It is I, your Keyboard Warrior, here to chat about the season sixty draft. What an exciting off-season it has been (though it has dragged on for so long I feel like I have been watching paint dry) what with the expansion draft (which sucked and hurt) and now the entry draft. Because of last season's hiccups and some heavy-handed punishment dealt by an over-reaching administrative body, the North Stars did not have much going on in the draft. But the Toronto think tank is always looking ahead and always finding ways to give the team an edge in this bloodthirsty league. At least the lakes have been drained. All it took was losing First-Name Last-Name and Taylor Johansson and the retirement of Axel Meszaros (cries).

Well with little to do but rely on excellent scouting, a keen mind, and the hopes that a diamond would fall to Toronto in the second round, the North Stars picked up the over-age free agent Yuuto Kida Cloudera Jr. Much like my underachieving and slacker roommate, Luffy Richard, Yuuto has gone undrafted and has been overlooked by much of the league, but with the cap tight and options limited, Toronto reached out to the young defenseman to see if he was willing to put in the work to help the North Stars win a cup. He readily agreed, and that gave Toronto some flexibility in the free-agent department and gave them more options when it came to the upcoming draft. Yuuto has already proven himself a great locker room presence and will surely help the team, not only financially, but on the ice as the North Stars recover from the cap issues incurred from the season fifty-seven/fifty-eight 'bonus-gate'

Now that the preamble and contextual stage has been set, we look at the second round where the Toronto North Stars had the twenty-eight overall pick. The sharp eyes and galaxy-brain-level intelligence of the scouts brought a wonderful player to the head honchos attention: one Mars Stanton. 

Mars Stanton is a defenseman for the St. Louise Scarecrows. He is right-handed, stands five-eleven, and weighs a hundred and eighty-five pounds. Right now, he sits at three-hundred and fifty-six task (task? I should have looked this up) points earned which puts him seventh in his draft class. How he fell to twenty-eight I will never understand, but the North Stars are grateful that he did. 

Mars had Seven goals and nine assists for sixteen points and a minus-ten on a St. Louis Scarecrow team that finished second to last in the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League. It was a rough season for the team, and maybe his stats put off some of the other general managers when it came to the draft, but Mars is a hard worker, and with a better supporting cast there is no doubt he will thrive in the league. Mars also had eighty-five blocks and fifty-five hits in his first season in the Jay--a promising start to what the North Stars hope will be a long and successful career. The general manager will be keeping a close eye on this young prospect to make sure they develop and keep earning at the pace they have shown they can. With a little over six million dollars in the bank, Mars immediate future looks secure. 

Mars joins blue chips prospects defensemen Dane von Gucci--who also plays for St. Louis and had five goals and nineteen assists for twenty-four points and a minus-forty-one--and Jay Sink who plays for the Anchorage Armada and had seven goals and twenty-two assists for twenty-nine points and a plus-eight; as well as forward Ryuuji Kawashima who had nine goals and twenty-four assists for thirty-three points and a minus-two. These three prospects are going to have a big impact in keeping the North Stars competitive for seasons to come. The North Stars are looking to have one of the best defensive corps in the league who will help an aging Harry Carpet keep the North Stars a hard team to score on. This twenty-eight pick might be the best sleeper pick since Luffy Richard was drafted back in season fifty-five. And we all know how that has turned out! 

Alf Magnusson was draft at sixty-nine (nice) and will be a great addition to the North Stars. He reminds me of someone, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I guess time will tell! There are some strange rumors about this youngster from Norway. Cats seem to disappear at an alarming rate around him. Let us hope he drops the habit of eating cats.

Other picks the North Stars courted are being given a chance to exceed expectations. The head office has a policy of drafting those that otherwise would go undrafted to give them a chance and extra experience the same way Luffy Richard was given a chance to prove that he was better than the numbers on the page showed. This did not sit well with some, and there was a little after-draft drama, but we wish those who chose not to sign well, and that their futures would be molded into the image they see for themselves. 

Overall, it was a tough draft and the situation the North Stars find themselves in monetarily is a tough one. Expansion did them no favors except get them out of the dogfight that was the Great Lakes, a division so tough that even the mascots carry weapons for self-defense. Season sixty should be an exciting one, and with great prospects in the pipeline, the North Stars will not be going anywhere anytime soon.

This has been draft analysis and color commentating with light research to round out the picture of who the North Stars are becoming based on their draft philosophy and adaptability to a situation that would have other organizations reeling. 

(1028 words)

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]

Ilike

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

06-14-2021, 06:51 PMMike Izzy Wrote: Ilike

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]