Create Account

A Rare Interview with Rinky McDangle

A Rare Interview with Rinky McDangle

Recently Rinky McDangle consented to an interview with trusted confidante and freelance sports journalist Gale Force.  Gail lives in the Central Ontario ghost town of Swords and has interviewed other simulation hockey players such as Isau DaMoose from the Victory Hockey League.

[Image: 84ojUeBzEU16_zbGOMMRPXABNJaLW48THATS5uSL...eqFZwzAi3y]

(edited transcript of Gale’s interview June 17, 2021)

Gale:  Hi Rinky.  How goes it ?  As you are relatively new to the SHL/SMJHL may I ask a few questions that would allow fans to get to know you a bit better?

Rinky:  Of course, Gale.  If it gets too personal, I’ll just turn Tortorella on you.  (laughter)

Gale:  So, you originally hail from Waterford Ireland.  What was it like to begin your hockey career there?

Rinky:  Well, let me start by saying that Waterford is apparently the oldest town in Ireland.  Settled originally by Vikings in 914 A.D. or something like that.  More importantly, it became home for the House of Waterford Crystal in 1783.  This is significant because our  small team there was called The Waterford Crystals.

[Image: bOSHAXG5O6Ea8iw0RCFJPPmqwT7sV8Y1K91PzfDm...63I_iFaFN4]

Needless to say, Ireland is not what you would call a hotbed of hockey, so our team was mixed gender.  We lived up to our name in that we showed a lot of class and finesse, but were a wee bit fragile.  One small injury and we were scrambling to fill the lines.  I had a lot of fun there and the coaches we had over the years certainly instilled a passion for the game and respect for other players.

Gale:  So, at this point, I understand that your family moved ?

Rinky:  Ya, we ended up moving to a rural community in Northern Ontario.  Monetville to be exact.

Gale:  So, from a hockey perspective was there a difference ?

Rinky:  You wanna believe it !!!  First off the ice surface is considerably smaller and the style of play was a lot more physical.  I wound up playing for a while with The Monetville Magpies.  

[Image: otDr1cTXDhiqhC8I0jTHHPN4GdMax5MqKSZxi3Kb...TWZ7PdxhMN]

As the rural population dwindled, the team eventually ceased to exist, amalgamating with the Kipling Red Raiders, but that was after I left.  Anyway, I was Irish tough and didn’t mind the heavy checking and creative stick work.  If I came home with a bruise or two it just showed that I was engaged in the game.  I liked to go into that dirty area in front of the net where a guy gets whacked, jabbed and cross checked ad infinitum.  I often said that I was successful if I had to remove splinters from the goal tender’s stick from my socks.  (laughter)

Gale:  So, you believe that physicality is essential to the game ?

Rinky:  Ya, well, that question involves a two part answer.  In short, my answer would be “Yes”.  I mean you have 10 bigger guys moving around in an enclosed space at a high rate of speed all chasing and trying to control a 3 inch (7.62 cm) piece of vulcanized rubber.  There are going to be physical battles all the time, along the boards, in front of the net and so on.  The second part of this is what I alluded to before.  Players have to respect one another.  Physical play is one thing, but physicality with the intent to injure another player is something that has no place in the game.

Gale:  So was that the end of your minor hockey career ?

Rinky:  Far from it.  As you know, my parents were sort of professional vagabonds who picked up professorial work at a variety of institutes of higher (or lower) learning.  So, off we went to Chugwater, Wyoming where I played Junior Hockey for a short time for The Wyoming Dust Devils.

[Image: WjcbDiAdUiuyEfQifc47MVIgYS2AYW64VhBIqiPH...u1J-bjiLhB]

It was about this time that I realized that, if I wanted to play pro hockey, I needed higher level coaching, skill development and competition.  So, I struck out on my own to play in the United States Hockey League (USHL) for The Dubuque Fighting Saints.  

[Image: MQvp2EMbUjg1EwGP_3b59uhF1I1eXPorBvUI_o9G...iuHDqBN6je]

Don’t let that halo fool you.  We weren’t saints all the time.  Let me show you a photo of when I was there.  Rinky’s Celly …….

[Image: yUQ14hyF39_yyCMumgfmqDRxfh2QGQZzZfBpGeLd...4gUX9x61jP]

Gale:  You seem too young to have played that much hockey.

Rinky:  Ya, well things happen fast in the world of professional sports.  I mean, a guy has only a limited period of time to excel before injuries and Father Time catches up.  So, ya, about this time I was contacted by The Colorado Raptors ( as well as a few other teams) and offered an SMJHL contract.  Last season I played in 48 games with the Raptors and produced only 9 points.  That tells me I gotta get a lot better in order to compete at my highest level.

Gale:  Did you have any particular objective that you pursued in the off season ?

Rinky:  With the help of the Colorado training staff and without the use of any human growth hormones I managed to get bigger, stronger, faster and (dare I say it)  just a bit meaner.  I am hoping for a breakout season.

[Image: 3LUb6D5fqF-51jqXFnsZBlIg-dn-prxNjr0JFp3x...sYY8B-klId]

Gale:  Have you any thoughts regarding the recent SHL draft ?

Rinky:  As you know I was recently drafted 48th (I think) overall by The Tampa Bay Barracudas.

[Image: 0HTGOPUz1q6moWzMPM3f65s-KgwaSuaU4HatO_gd...MxqjB1vNGe]

Needless to say, I was thrilled to be drafted by such a great organization and I hope I will fit into their plans when I move on from the SMJHL.  Right now, though, my focus is on being all I can be for the Raptors.  As Sidney Crosby once said “ I play for the name on the front of my jersey, not the one on the back.”  I truly believe in this kind of thinking, and, so, I will give it my best for The Raptors until it is time for me to move on to the SHL.  Then, I will do the same there.

Gale:  On a personal note, have you a “significant other” ?

Rinky:  You almost evoked a Tortorella-like answer there, but, I guess it’s OK.  There is a lady friend from the north country with whom I have more than a passing interest.  Roisin MacLiam.  You pronounce that as “Ro-sheen”, which means “little rose”.  When Irish patriotic poetry and song was outlawed in Ireland, Irish bands would disguise their nationalistic verses and love songs, and sing about Roisin Dubh ("Dark Rosaleen") as the poetic symbol for their country.  It’s pretty difficult being thousands of miles apart and about to get even further.  We shall see what develops.  Here, let me show you a picture.

[Image: J7IlgUZ5MUI1Fj2DBPbA7dP9FBxXaOiyy4va_1LY...RsKpsJE3aM]

Gale:  Perhaps sometime we can do a virtual interview with both you and Roisin.  Might be fun to get her perspective on being involved with a professional hockey player.

Rinky:  Ya, that could be a hoot considering she thinks of hockey players as relatively large men running around with clubs in their hands and knives on their feet.  In other words, she isn’t much of a hockey fan, but that may change.

Gale:  Well, Rinky, I have to say that it has been a lot of fun and extremely informative being able to have this interview.  I must thank Isau (DaMoose) for connecting us.  You and he might be a great interview as well, you know, comparing the two leagues and all.  But that is for another time.  Thanks for your candor and for sharing parts of your life.

Rinky:  It's all good, Gale. I enjoyed this a lot.  Perhaps we can do something like this again.

[Image: BmcWAvlOWH08EL84_7-TmAZttMMRzFppl9b9eed8...DRPyc2a8Hk]

[Image: Rinky-sig.jpg]