Create Account

A new grading category / small rule change

Hello graphics community,

this a short statement from the graphics department about two additions we're implementing to our grading starting with the grading week 6/27.

First of all we're introducing a new grading category "wallpapers" (details can be found here). Previously wallpapers were graded as "art", but we felt like it deserved its own category.

Secondly we're going to add a small rule to our submission guidelines.

Quote:Submissions that feature an overwhelming likeness to previous submissions will be prone to payment deductions, at the discretion of the graphics team. If a graphic is found to have an egregiously borrowed element (including borrowing from oneself), a 50% pay reduction will incur on all of the secondary submissions (the primary will still be paid at 100%).

What does this mean exactly?

Submitted graphics are encouraged to be as original as possible. The graphics department recognizes that almost all of the elements used in submissions will be borrowed in some capacity, so it is important to celebrate the uniqueness of the graphics. This ruling will come up if it is easily noticeable by the graphics team that multiple submissions contain an unaltered element.

Historically this applies mostly to unedited renders with mild text and color changes. An example of this that is currently in place is hockey cards. They are a template heavy format that can appear as passable with just a minor text change and color change.

The reasoning for this change is that the visuals of the signatures on the site play a large role in the immersion, onboarding, and community of the SHL. The payscale for graphics is in place to reward users for contributing. The graphics department does not want to incentivize submissions that don’t push the site forward creatively or uniquely. It is the view of the graphics team that a bad original piece is better than a good piece submitted twice.

This has come up sparsely over the last two calendar years, so this post marks the setting of the precedence.

If you have any questions, please post them below or contact @Julio Tokolosh or @Carpy48 directly.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2021, 03:41 PM by golden_apricot.)

Cool,

So just for clarification for the similarity deductions are we talking similar like the old wasty LAP draft sigs, or other things within the sigs such as similar font and or things like that?

06-20-2021, 03:41 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: Cool,

So just for clarification for the similarity deductions are we talking similar like the old wasty LAP draft sigs, or other things within the sigs such as similar font and  or things like that?

I always like to use this hockey card submission as an example. Back then we didn't really know what to do with it. I think it describes it pretty well. First one gets 100%, second one doesn't get graded, but gets 50% of the first. There can be other cases of course.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

06-20-2021, 03:55 PMCarpy48 Wrote:
06-20-2021, 03:41 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: Cool,

So just for clarification for the similarity deductions are we talking similar like the old wasty LAP draft sigs, or other things within the sigs such as similar font and  or things like that?

I always like to use this hockey card submission as an example. Back then we didn't really know what to do with it. I think it describes it pretty well. First one gets 100%, second one doesn't get graded, but gets 50% of the first. There can be other cases of course.

That is a good example LMAO