Create Account

Rivalries in the SHL according to FHM

I was clicking through the file after fixing some of the builds on Monday and found rivals in the info page. A few of them seemed interesting so I decided to take a note and comment on some of the things so more people could see them. I also added some long term hopes or predictions. Note there are two things listed in rivalries, Main and Potential. Potential rivals are listed as that here, main rivals have no other marking than the team badge. 

I am not sure exactly how rivalries are formed and I am sure its somewhere in the manual that I wont read because I am lazy, but based off what I could tell by looking at them, these are formed after teams play each other in the post season, likely forming after one team eliminates another a few times. This could be 100% wrong but its how I based predictions for future rivalries.

ATL : no one
This is not really surprising to anyone. Atlanta is still somewhat new to the league and these take time to develop from what I can tell. It will be interesting how things fair rivalry wise moving forward with the restructured divisions and playoff structure. I would expect a Baltimore or Tampa to show up here in the next few seasons.

BAP: syndicate potential
So not a true rivalry yet, it seems the fans in the mid Atlantic are not big fans of Chicago. Sadly with Chicago moving to the west, these teams wont see a budding playoff rivalry continue into the future unless both of them can put on a few runs to the cup finals for consecutive seasons. Stranger things have happened but I would be a Tampa main rivalry shows up here sooner rather than later.

Buf:  Steelhawks
Shocking no one the fans in Buffalo do not like the Steelhawks. This comes after multiple seasons in a row where it feels like the two teams were destined to play in the Challenge Cup final or the semi finals. This rivalry will likely extend long into the future with both teams still in the same division for the foreseeable future.

CGY: Blizzard potential
Dragons and Blizzard fans alike would be a big fan of this potential rivalry becoming an annual playoff matchup and a full time rivalry. With this already being a potential rivalry I would not be shocked to see this as the Dragons main rival shortly with the two teams being in the same division.

CHI: Stampede
It was either Buffalo or Hamilton here. One of the big three in the Great Lakes for a few seasons they were bound to hate one of the others and it just happened to be Buffalo. Im too lazy to check but I believe Buffalo has eliminated Chicago in the playoffs more than Hamilton so this makes sense to me as it stands. With the two teams being somewhat clear in the skater TPE rankings this season we might see this rivalry continue longer than others might think, but over time I expect a Texas rivalry starting to form rather quickly.

EDM: Steelhawks  
Not as much of a shock as some might think. Although one is in the West and the other the East, these two teams have matched up multiple times, with Hamilton often getting the edge. Not shocking to anyone familiar with these teams that a rivalry formed. Will this continue? Probably not, I don’t think either team make cup runs within the next few seasons and EDM will have plenty of playoff matchups with other teams like LAP, SEA, CGY or SFP where we might see a longer lasting rivalry forming.

HAM: Stampede
Yup, same as Buffalo but going the other way. Honestly it does seem like the two teams are always playing big games and they should be playing big games for a few more seasons based off how things look. This will be a fun one to watch and the only one on the list where the rivalry goes both ways.

LAP: EDM potential
LA and EDM, not really what I think of when I think SHL rivalry but who knows. Maybe over the next few seasons we start to see this potential rivalry take off with them being division rivals now. A bit more of a cool situation would be a budding rivalry with SPF start to form as SFP starts to see the light at the end of the rebuild tunnel. The battle for CA would be epic if we started to see it year in and year out in the playoffs and this is what I hope we see long term.

MAN: Steelhawks
Manhattan and Hamilton, king of the old Atlantic and one of the big three of the Great Lakes. MAN and HAM have a few playoff series in the past and HAM often was on the winning side of those matchups. Sadly for Rage fans, seeing Hamilton in the playoffs is a lot less likely now. The real rivalry that I think fans across the league are looking at is the development of a MAN, PHI rivalry which we just might start to see develop over the next few seasons.

MIN: no one
Having never seen the playoffs in FHM, I doubt the fans have had time to develop a hatred for any one team. It will be interesting now as they are in a division with a few rebuilding teams and it looks more likely that they will see a delay to their golf season now who they begin to develop bad blood with. My guess would be WPG but only time will tell.

MTL: no one
They haven’t played a game yet so lets just comment on the rivalry we all want to see, TOR vs MTL. Two major Canadian cities battling for supremacy. This is the big money series the league was looking for when expanding to MTL and I think we all hope it works out.

NEW: Steelhawks potential
This is an interesting one. I don’t recall the teams matching up that often in the playoffs, but they did play in the first FHM season. That matchup was the president trophy wolfpack, a team built on skating prowess and offense, playing the Steelhawks, a team built off strength and defense. A battle that ended up forming the basis of the league wide meta we see today. From a historical standpoint this would be a really cool rivalry for the league to have.

NOLA: Inferno potential
After taking the cup in the second FHM season NOLA has fallen on hard times so not shocking to see them without a true rival. Atlanta as a potential is strange but who knows how any of this actually works. I don’t expect ATL to be a main rival to NOLA, look for a someone in the division maybe a Texas to form here. That prediction is purely locationally driven.

PHI: no one
Same as MTL. I think the league would want to see MAN and BAP here to get some local rivalries to form in that division. Maybe we see the two expansion teams in the division, PHI and ATL, start to develop some bad blood, that also would be a cool rivalry to see, if not just for them having the same colors.

SFP: no one
Similar to MIN, SFP have not seen playoffs in FHM. I hope like I said in the LAP comment that those two teams develop a rivalry. A big state like that with a split fanhood would be a great rivalry to see happen for the league.

SEA: Renegades potential
One of the other expansion teams from a few seasons back. Texas as a potential rival isn’t shocking considering their history, but it wont continue long term. I think SEA will see far more of a long term rivalry with LAP or EDM. For some reason I just cant see a SFP rivalry or CGY rivalry sticking.

TBB: Stampede potential
BUF here is interesting, I don’t personally see it but FHM does, again I am going to assume playoffs here is the driving force. Longer term I want to see BAP here. Those two teams look to be the best of the division for at least the next few seasons and maybe we get some of the battle for Florida going on, with some long time fans of the franchise still in the Miami area.

TEX: Stampede potential
After the Challenge Cup this season and a few matchups before this season Im shocked this isn’t a main rival. There is some bad blood here an I for one hope we can see this form a long term cross conference main rivalry. That said, Chicago is more likely to take that spot with these two teams being far and away the best in the west TPE wise. This will be a fun one to look out for.

TOR: Stampede potential
This one isn’t really a shock. Much like Chicago and Hamilton, being in the Lakes and being at least somewhat competitive means some bad blood began to form. Longer term I want to see TOR MTL as a rivalry, but a long term rival in BUF wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen with the two cities being relatively close together.

WPG: Steelhawks potential
WPG played HAM in a few post season series similar to EDM, although the WPG v HAM series were typically quarterfinals and not the later matchups HAM and EDM saw. I don’t think we see a full rivalry here, but look for MIN or CHI to take that long term main rival slot for the Aurora.

WC 1600ish

Steelhawks suxxx go Stampede

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

06-22-2021, 12:30 PMTomen Wrote: Steelhawks suxxx go Stampede

Stampede stinky go Steelhawks

Buf is our rival because of Lindegod

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

say it louder for the people in the back

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

06-22-2021, 12:51 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
say it louder for the people in the back
Steelhawks Stampede  SUXXX GO  Renegades

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

This has me thinking about some rivalries that would be natural in the league.

Steelhawks Stars Patriotes
Battle of Ontario, Ontario vs Quebec, Two largest cities in Canada

Blizzard Dragons
Battle of Alberta, both teams have been good at the same time recently

Patriotes Wolfpack
Montreal vs Boston is a storied rivalry in the NHL.

Panthers Argonauts pride
Battle of the Pacific, as well as two california teams

Steelhawks Blizzard
Finals matchup in S51 and S53

Inferno Argonauts ... Forge Patriotes
I wonder if it makes sense for the expansion teams to be competitive with the other team that came into the league at the same time.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

I can see the TBB/BAP rivalry gettin hot

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Stampede

Stampede Citadelles  [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]  Citadelles Stampede
[Image: goilers.gif]

Stampede Stampede Stampede

rent free

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

06-22-2021, 01:43 PMtrella Wrote: I can see the TBB/BAP rivalry gettin hot

Barracuda smells so bad the eagle on the Platoon logo doesn't wanna pick you off for his next meal.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Inferno?

So random. I'm in.

Fuck @hotdog

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

06-22-2021, 04:01 PMJKortesi81 Wrote: Inferno?

So random. I'm in.

Fuck @hotdog

hey what the heck/hell!!!!!!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway