Create Account

Humble Beginnings
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2021, 04:52 AM by the5urreal. Edit Reason: Add 2x First Media )

[Image: 1CsK6tD.png]

My earliest memories are of mom and dad at the rink teaching me and my brother, Brad, to skate. I honestly don’t remember a time where we weren’t at one rink or another at least a few times a week. It was our home away from home. Man, I’ll always cherish those times. Coaching in local leagues didn’t afford us a luxurious lifestyle, but it was what my dad was good at and loved to do. My mom would take on work wherever she could to tie up loose ends. My parents made a lot of sacrifices to ensure I always had what I needed to be the best I could be. They never talked about it and never complained. As a lower-middle-class family living in the rust belt, I know it had to have been a lot.

My dad was a pretty intense guy. He certainly wasn’t a big teddy bear. At least he didn’t want people to see him that way. I don’t think a lot of people liked him - especially the referees. What all those people didn’t see, though, is how much of a family man he was. How much he cared about Brad and I. He pushed us to give maximum effort at everything we did, and he didn’t put up with any half-assing. I can say that both me and my brother are better for it. When we failed, he was always there to comfort us and put a positive spin on things. If we ever disappointed him, he never showed it.

Brad was the oldest, but I was always the better hockey player. It wasn’t long before he lost interest, but I kept at it. I loved it. Needless to say, I spent a lot of time with my dad. Practicing and going through situational drills. Studying tactics. Watching highlights and analyzing games. It was never too soon for me to learn something new in his eyes. At first, once I was the only one playing, it was just me and dad on the road most of the time. Brad and mom would either stay home or join us later. Eventually, as dad put it, my playing skills advanced beyond his coaching skills. My mom became my number one fan at that point. Dad still coached, but he was at my game every chance he could get.

The summer after my freshman year of high school, my dad had a heart attack. That was a scary time in my life. There was so much uncertainty and it stretched us as thin as I had ever seen. My family, dad included, insisted I not let this stop me from playing. Brad and my mom both worked extra shifts to make ends meet. With help from my grandparents, we were able to get through everything. My sophomore year, I played the best hockey of my life and I strongly believe that was my defining moment. The reason I was attracting attention from scouts. I owe it all to my family and I will be forever grateful for everything they did for me.

I never thought I’d be able to repay them. But now, I sit here on the couch in my parent’s living room staring at my first professional hockey contract and the payday that comes along with it. Five million dollars. It’s more money than I’ve ever seen in my life. More money than a lot of people would know what to do with. I know exactly what I’m going to do with it though. I’m going to make sure my grandparents can live out their lives in comfort. I’m going to give my mom and dad everything they could never give themselves. I’m going to make sure my brother can get his degree and do what makes him happy. It’s the least I can do.

642 words - Please add 2x First Media Bonus

[Image: the5urrealshl.gif]

[Image: 9TttCL9.png][Image: n25g4JC.png][Image: P0OHsLJ.png][Image: DS1jqys.png][Image: M98Qi4H.png]
[Image: KOKeZZJ.png]

Good read! Good luck this season!!

[Image: 336.jpg]

Kraken Kraken Kraken

Almost go time!

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

Attacker am guy who is much nice for family helping! Patya am Lam-...Laaaambor-.....Lambooorg-...Lamb! Am buying Lamb! Much fast, yes? Just like Patya!

Lore: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5
[Image: 65011_s.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png]   [Image: HKi05IH.png]   [Image: gs89eGV.png]

Psyched to have you onboard! Thanks for the great read!

[Image: banes.png]

Great stuff! Kraken Kraken Kraken

[Image: 66818_s.gif]