Create Account

S60 DFA Bounties #1 - The Past

Hello new players!

From the Trade Deadline to the posting of the first task completable for TPE, whether that be the Interested Prospects Threads, Early Bird PT, Mock Draft, etc., DFAs will be able to complete weekly DFA Bounties. These Bounties will function practically identically to PTs, but with money instead of TPE, and will be posted in this part of the forums. By writing 250 words or completing a graphic for a certain prompt, DFAs will earn $500,000 for their bank accounts, with a cap of 4 completed bounties ($2,000,000).

Since the trade deadline was last Saturday, I am pleased to bring you the first S61 DFA Bounty:

Written Task: Only the best of the best make it into the SMJHL. Junior players from all over the world come to this league in the hopes of being drafted, becoming a succesful SMJHL player and continuining that succes in the SHL. But we all have a history too. What is your history? Where did you play? How did you do? How did your career look so far, and what aspects of your player in their pre-SMJHL career is going to make your player succeed? (250 word min.)
Graphic Task: Pictures say more than a thousand words. Show us a pic of the young you, playing hockey. Include your player name and a render of your younger self, and at least one statline.

Reward: $500,000

Only current SMJHL Draftable Free Agents (S61 SMJHL Draftees, SHL class of S62) are eligible for this bounty.

There is no need to claim this anywhere. After grading the money should pop up in your account 'automatically'.

Deadline: Sunday, July 25th @ 11:59pm EST

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

I feel like I was born with a stick in my hands. Ever since I could skate, my dad would have me out on the ice, whether it be pushing me around as a toddler or letting me run wild as I got older and fell in love with the game. I figured out that hockey was my first love when I was about eight - I had signed up for the local travel team, and after giving it my all... was cut. But I didn't let that stop me.

If anything, that only pushed me to work harder. My dad would often find my bed empty at a young age, and my skates suspiciously absent from the rack in the garage, as early as 5AM before school days. During the winter holiday and the summer months, I would be at the rink as often as I could, practicing shots, perfecting my skating ability, all in the hope that I would be able to make the travel team the next year.

The tryouts came around again, and this time I made it as a bench player. But I wouldn't let that stop me. Every day I would be at the rink right when the coaches would unlock the doors. My dad saw my obsession and only fed it, making sure he was awake to take me and would rush home from work to make sure he could pick me up from school and take me to practice.

That hard work paid off, as the next year I was starting.

My career only took off from there. I got the attention of St. Andrews College at the age of 12, and was admitted the next year for my 8th grade year. I lead the team in points for my first year there, after which I entered the high school program riding high on what I thought was a surefire trajectory into the majors.

Then I tore my ACL.

My second time stepping on the ice at 14, and I collided with my teammate, Kanye South, another all star prospect, chasing after a loose puck. Instantly, the sound of velcro in my ears told me something was wrong. I looked to my dad on the sideline as I went down on the ice - the pain in his face is not something I ever want to see again.

Southie didn't make it out unscathed, either - the collision had split his knee cap in half.

So there we were, sitting in the hospital, our parents furious at each other for allowing their kid to injure the other - no one wanted to take responsibility. I sat next to him in a knee brace, him in a cast. We looked to each other, and without saying anything, decided then and there we would be best friends.

We rehabbed, worked out, skated our way back onto the ice - together.

By the beginning of the next season, we were competing for the starting right wing spot. We could play both sides of the ice, but right wing was our true home. Each game was a battle to make our mark on the team. After the year, coach announced that I would be the starting right winger headed forward, with Southie starting on the left.

At this point, I felt I should be happy - but I had changed my obsession.

I was gunning for the U18 national team.

For the next two years, I played as selfishly as I could - to the detriment of my team. Every game was about showing off how much of an asset I would be, how much of a boon I would be to play for Team Canada.

Finally, after not hearing anything, I emailed the director of the team, asking if I could try out.

A few days later, I got an email back.

After reading the email title, my stomach plunged into my toes.

"Not this year."

He said I wasn't a team player - that while my skating ability was golden, while I was a great player in my own right, that I had proven how selfish I was last season, and he didn't need a player like that on the national team. That the entitlement I played with did not make me a better player - but actually made me worse.

This crushed me. I spoke to my dad about it, who told me that, while he was proud of me, I was, in fact, a selfish player. My coach said the same - he was astounded by how good I was, but my teammates wanted nothing to do with me on the ice, even as we spent time together off of it.

I took the summer holiday to focus on changing my play style - to be more effective off the puck, to be able to set my teammates up, and, during a meetup with Southie a week before the start of school, he asked me what my goal was for the season.

"Have more assists than goals this year."

So that I did. At 17, I made assisting my teammates my entire goal. Southie lead the league in goals scored, and I set up almost 60% of them. I wanted to prove to my coach - to Tourigny, the U18 coach - to my dad.

To myself.

Finally, the email came through.

"Congrats kid. Come on down to tryouts."

At the same time, I realized that this was what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

Be involved in hockey - on the ice or off it.

As I stepped onto the ice for Canada's U18 team during the World tournament nearly a year later, I realized that I was living the dream. My dream.

I smiled, and looked for my dad in the stands. I could see him crying, even from here, hundreds of feet away.

Tears escaped my eyes, which I quickly wiped away.

The tournament was calling.

And I didn't plan on letting it go to voicemail.

[Image: vo42C2b.png]
[Image: hTIaaQX.gif]
HIT SOMEBODY

Cheers to tweedledunn and supertardis101 for the awesome signatures!

It has been 11 seasons since the fans in Calgary cheered as Hunter Jones left the ice for the final time. In the coming months, he would retire as a 2-time Challenge Cup Champion and take time to focus on staring a family. He moved to Germany playing 4 more seasons of semi-pro and then leaving hockey all together.

Now in season 60 Hunter’s son Jaeger now makes his move over to the SMJHL and set out to leave his own mark on the league. When asked about his expectations, Jaeger said: “I just want to do it my way. All through my time in Germany people placed expectations on me to be like my dad.I always knew I would play hockey and I hope to have some success like him, but I just want to do it on my own terms.”

Jones was born in Germany, while his father played semi-pro hockey. He has grown up surrounded by the hockey life and knew this was where he wanted to be since a young age. Although he carries dual citizenship in both Finland and Germany, he has stated that he is fully committed to the German National Team and hope to put on the jersey one day.
As we roll in to the SMJHL S61 Draft, Jones does not seem to hold any favourites. When asked about playing for his father’s former team the Kelowna Knights, he said “I just want to play. I will not hold out for specific teams to pick me. I will bring 100% to any team that choses that I am good fit for their team.”
Let’s hope this is the start of a long and storied career for Jeager.

Germany Elk Aurora [Image: vKrOFwy.png] [Image: VbtOVyg.png] Aurora Elk Germany

[Image: Thunder39.gif]

[Image: TMo.png]

Marek Skoda grew up in the cities of the Czech Republic with his twin brother and they both fell in love with hockey as soon as they touched the ice. Both of them loved playing forward and both of them loved scoring goals and outright winning games.

They grew up to be wingers on opposite sides and were frequently put together on the same line and would be constantly be using that internal connection that only them seem to have to blow past defenders and just make a goalies life an absolute nightmare. Marek specifically likes to go fast and was always a bit of a daredevil. Skating and leg day practices usually suck but Marek wants to be one of the most skilled skaters in the world and figures its worth it in the end.

He knows that for the first time in a long time, the upcoming adventure will be without his twin following him around. He looks forward to the opportunity to prove himself as his own entity and not just a twin that can score.

His stints in the minor have been pretty good. Not world beating but Marek believes there is still plenty of upside and the ability for him to learn and grow as a player and as a person. Many of his assists are to his brother and many of goals are to him as well.

Marek is extremely excited to get to the teams and get to explore the world a bit and go from state to state and city to city

[Image: Off.gif]