Create Account

(GRADED) Deep Dive #2 - SMJHL 1OAs of the Past Decade
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2021, 02:35 PM by leafs1997.)

In this Deep Dive we will take a look at the TPE earnings and users behind all the players to be drafted 1st overall in their respective SMJHL draft class since s50. The draft in the SMJHL is a different beast from the SHL draft. The teams involved seem to be a bit more loose with their strategies when it comes to drafting. Some teams go with a safe bet by choosing a recreate from a user they know they can trust to earn, others may target a user simply for their locker room presence, or welcome one back to a J team that they previously had a player on. First-gens are also held in high regard with more teams willing to take a risk on drafting them, especially users who show promise early on by doing media (whether that be written or graphics), in hopes that the league/site/community can retain active and engaging users. I thought it would be interesting to look at each first overall pick, analyze their earnings and the user who created them, and give some sort of insight into if they live up to their 1st overall hype.

® denotes recreate

s60 - Citadelles select Konstantin Selich, Tomen ® [259 TPE]

Even though we aren’t completely through Selich’s rookie season and there is plenty of earning left for them to do, I figure why not include my own draft class. 259 TPE is just good enough for a tie at 30th in TPE out of the 83 players included on the “Player Analyze 2.0”. With 104 TPE earned so far this season and time left on the clock to pump that number up, Selich still has a chance to surpass some of the other draftees. For now, in terms of earning TPE, Konstantin Selich doesn’t scream 1st overall material by any means. Though, when you look at the flipside of the coin and realize the user behind the player is Tomen, things start to make much more sense. Tomen has had their part in the league for a while now and is a pretty recognizable user, so I wouldn’t be surprised if this pick was more for the user than the player. I may not know much about Tomen or even crossed paths with the user but I can for sure say that Selich being picked 1st overall makes sense to me and should be considered an okay quality pick on recognition alone.

s59 - Outlaws select Stan Din’desque, Inf1d3l ® [468 TPE]

Stan is currently updated to a total of 468 TPE which puts him in a tie for 8th best earner in a class of 60 players. In just under 2 seasons he’s earned an average of 157 TPE a season. TPE wise Din’desque may not look like a 1st overall pick, but if you redrafted this class just based on TPE earned at least he would land in the first round. I do, however, have some insider information on this pick as Inf1d3l is one of the users I have grown closest to in my time on the site. I know for a fact that a lot of teams had interest in his player and I would absolutely chalk that up to Inf1d3l being a genuinely great person. I know Anaheim knows that about him and I’m pretty sure they traded up just to get him. All in all I’d say this is a pretty decent pick.

s58 - Berserkers select Aleksandrs Balcers, Randominoe ® [600 TPE]

Aleksandrs Balcers comes into the list with 600 TPE in their 3 season career, about 148 TPE a season, which lands them at 25th in their class of 62. Balcers seems much more of an average player than a 1st overall pick in terms earning TPE, perhaps the fact that they are a recreate helped them achieve such a status. Randominoe is a name I am vaguely familiar with so this seems much more like a user/friend pick than anything else. Could even be that the team was giving a user coming out of inactivity a shot to maybe breathe some life into them. I wouldn’t say this player lives up to the 1st overall pick “expectations” but they still have their whole career ahead of them to do great things.

s57 - Scarecrows select Jean-Locke Zidane, Nictox ® [844 TPE]

Our s57 1st overall pick Jean-Locke Zidane has earned 844 TPE, putting them at 12th of 48 players in the class. Their 172 average TPE earned a season is the highest on the list thus far which to me makes them the best candidate for 1st overall above any of the previous draftees in terms of earning. In terms of user, this team also hit the nail on the head with Nictox as they are a name I am decently familiar with. Looking into it a bit more I found that Nictox’s previous player was drafted by St. Louis in s42, telling me that the team trusts this user and simply wanted them back for relationship purposes and knowing there wouldn’t be much risk involved. To me 1st overall for Zidane makes total sense and is a really good pick despite being a little lower on the TPE leaderboard than what is normally desired.

s56 - Outlaws select Arsene Leclerc, spooked ® [1043 TPE]

So far Arsene Leclerc has earned 1043 TPE which is good for 4th out of 39 players in their class. Leclerc has earned an average of 178 TPE a season which just beats out our last draftee by 6 points and gives them the lead in highest average TPE a season. Again, our candidate for best 1st overall pick in the past decade changes hands. spooked is a user I am unfamiliar with so I had to dig a little to find out a little more. spooked has created a couple of other players in his 4+ years on the site but from what I can tell this one may be their best effort to date. It seems to me this pick was more or less to relight the fire of a user returning to the site. All things considered I’d say this is a good pick and our best 1st overall candidate of the players listed up to this point.

s55 - Citadelles select Zdenko Beranek, ztevans ® [1003 TPE]

1003 TPE leaves Zdenko Beranek at 30th in the s55 class of 45 players. In their 5 seasons they have earned an average of 141 TPE a season, landing them just above our freshly drafted s60 1st overall SMJHL Rookie on the list. Unlike Selich, Beranak has had a handful of seasons to pump those numbers up yet hasn’t done so in a way you would call spectacular. Again, we see a player who doesn’t live up to the hype in terms of earning. And again, we see why they were drafted 1st overall when we look at the user who is Beranek’s creator. ztevans is a user a lot of people should recognize from the site. Two of the user’s retired players, both with the last name Evans, were stars in the SHL. That credit alone boosts this pick from “meh” to “alright” in my eyes.

s54 - Berserkers select Liam Slate, Tylar ® [1500 TPE]

Hailing from the s54 SMJHL draft class we have Liam Slate. Slate enters our list with 1500 TPE and wouldn’t you know it, they are actually 1st in TPE earned in their class (37 total players). Their 192 average TPE earned a season is the highest you will see on this list, making them a prime candidate for best 1st overall pick in the SMJHL in the past decade when it comes to earning TPE. As for the user, Tylar doesn’t exactly ring any bells for me but... their retired player Sami Owens was a star during my early SHL career. This is definitely a pick I would consider to be a true 1st overall pick.

s53 - Timber select Mikkel Asmus Sondergard, Rabidsponge21 ® [1594 TPE]

Sondergard’s 1594 TPE is good for 6th in their class out of 37 players still in the league. In their 8 seasons in the league Mikkel has earned about 180 TPE on average a season, just squeaking them into 2nd place on list when it comes to average TPE earned a season. When it comes to earning TPE I’d say this player is a decent candidate for 1st overall. On to the users that is Rabidsponge21. Rabidsponge21 is a name I am somewhat familiar with but even more so I recognize his previous player, Ludwig Koch Schroder. Schroder had a fantastic career spanning from s31 to s52 where they built up a pretty impressive trophy case. In my mind this is a really good 1st overall pick, possibly second best on the list, when you take both of these things into account.

s52 - Raptors select Chris Cerullo, ChrisFromRMNB [269 TPE]

Chris Cerullo shows us just how much of a risk it can be to choose to draft a first-gen in the early rounds of a draft, nevermind 1st overall. Chris managed to muster up just 269 TPE in their career, which I will assume was all within their first season. Cerullo is no longer on the “Player Analyze 2.0” sheet meaning they are completely inactive (who would’ve guessed?) and no longer on any team, which makes sense given that a player is only eligible to stay in the SMJHL for so long. Looking into the user profile I can sort of see why this pick could’ve happened as the user was decently active and wrote a handful of media within their first couple of months on the site. Alas, the drive the user had for the league fizzled out very early in their career. I think it’s always worth it to take a chance on a promising new user but in this case things just didn’t pan out. I think you will find that this is easily the worst 1st overall pick in the SMJHL in the past decade.

s51 - Whalers select Sabo Tage, Glyc ® [937 TPE]

With 937 TPE earned since s51, Sabo Tage sits in 13th place on the TPE leaderboard in their 16 player class. If we average that 937 out over Tage’s career it equates to just 78 TPE earned a season, though I would assume this player is inactive so that number should be a bit skewed. Since my first player was drafted to Vancouver I do know that this pick was absolutely chosen for the user as Glyc was a big part of the Whaler family. Glyc was even Co-GM of the Whalers when we won the 4 Star Cup back in s43. I would assume that the Whalers wanted to be absolutely sure they could land this user, hence the 1st overall pick. Sabo Tage unfortunately just didn’t live up to the hype of such a pick and should be considered to be in the bottom tier of this list.

s50 - raiders select Abel Skinner, KC15 [1786 TPE]

Finally we have Abel Skinner who shows us why it’s okay to take a risk on a first gen. All the way back in s50 Skinner was chosen 1st overall by the now relocated and rebranded Halifax Raiders. Their 1786 TPE earned puts them in 10th of their class of just 18 remaining players. While 1786 is a great number for a first gen, Abel averaged somewhere around 148 TPE a season which lands them somewhere in the lower-middle tier of the list when it comes to earning. These aren’t amazing numbers when considering the earnings of the top players in the league but are absolutely commendable for a first gen. I don’t know much, if anything at all about KC15... but it seems as if they have held a job in the league for long enough to build up a decent bank account and ride out their career. My train of thought leads me to believe that this is still a pretty good pick for 1st overall, especially when you are talking about a first gen. 1st overall can really create a spark for a user, especially one new to the league, and I believe that’s important enough to sometimes take a chance and hopefully see it pay out like it did here.

@hewasajazzman GRADED! +5 TPE

*sob*

We think Cerullo went IA because of COVID and maybe getting laid off from his job as a hockey writer with RMNB. Much sadness from this guy.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2021, 06:21 PM by hewasajazzman.)

07-20-2021, 02:28 PMhhh81 Wrote: *sob*

We think Cerullo went IA because of COVID and maybe getting laid off from his job as a hockey writer with RMNB. Much sadness from this guy.

… those two things sound like a perfect reason to distract yourself from reality by becoming enveloped in the league, not going IA… oof.

Tongue

edit: i feel like i whooshed