Create Account

(Graded) Deep Dive #2 - S60 Playoff Picture
(This post was last modified: 07-22-2021, 04:33 PM by Leppish.)

In the second deep dive, we are going to look at the current playoff picture and how it is shaping up, entering the last sim day. Colorado, Vancouver, Carolina, and Newfoundland are the four division leaders, getting the first four seeds, and a bye to the second round of the playoffs. NL are #1, VAN are #2, COL are #3, and CAR are #4. Colorado have a two point lead over Carolina, with both teams having two games left to play. The two teams have split their regular season series, so any tie will be resolved by goal difference. The Kraken are scheduled to play Anaheim and Anchorage, while the Raptors are scheduled to play Maine and Vancouver. Neither team can lose their division however, same for NL. The only team that can still lose the division is Vancouver, but with the form they are at, and their remaining schedule, I doubt they will.
That brings us to the first round matchups.
#5 Anchorage vs #12 Nevada
This is the only pair where the winner knows who they will face in the next round. Due to the reseeding, if ANC win, they will play #4, which right now looks like it will be Carolina. If Nevada pull the upset, they will face off against Newfoundland. Based on the regular season series, where Anchorage swept Nevada, outscoring them 39-11, I do not see anything different to happen here. The only change could be Anchorage somehow winning the division, and Vancouver are the ones to face Nevada. My prediction would be Anchorage in four.

#6 Quebec vs #11 Kelowna
This pair is a lock for the playoffs. Quebec cannot catch Anchorage in the remaining games, Anaheim can't catch them in the remaining games, and Kelowna have already played all 66 games, while Nevada cannot catch them in their remaining games. Despite having the fourth best record in the league, Quebec are unlucky enough to be in the same division as Newfoundland. They also had to see Vancouver make an insane comeback, coming from 15 points down, to overtake Anchorage in the standings. Either way, no time for tears. They will have to face the reigning champions. The champs decided to sell the farm during trade deadline, as the season was not looking like a repeat of last season's success, allowing some of their players on the tail end of their junior careers a shot at the title for one more year. The season series went in favor of Quebec, four games to two, none of them decided past regulation time. Quebec also outscored Kelowna 26-16 during their regular season meetings, but with how Kelowna sold the farm, I predict a Quebec win in 5 games.

#7 Anaheim vs #10 Maine
#8 St. Louis vs #9 Detroit
I have these two series grouped, as the only team that has a number secured is Maine. The other three teams are separated by 5 points. Anaheim is at 66 points, with 3 games left, St. Louis is at 62 with 2 games left, and Detroit is at 61 with 3 games left. Theoretically, these three teams could finish in any order. We could even have a 3-way tie scenario. And Anaheim has to play both Detroit and St. Louis. The finish here would be something to watch on stream later today. Predictions here? If the pairings remain as they are, Anaheim in 6 and the STL/DET series will be decided in six or seven very close games. Can't predict a winner though.

Code:
588 words

Approved! +5 TPE @Air Crou