Create Account

Deranged man farts again
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2021, 09:11 PM by Accka.)

- You can grade this now -

*Do not grade this until the logo is done*

(this is gonna be more like a blog than a post, because I'll be updating it now and then, a blog post perhaps?)

Oh my god, what've I eaten? I just can't stop letting them stinkers out.. No but seriously though, last night(really it was this morning, wasn't it?) I babbled on about the Whalers logo and how I've been thinking about a 3rd/alt logo for a long while now. Well, as I went to sleep I decided that I'm gonna finally do it myself, this time seriously, I won't stop until it's done and actually looks decent. If I feel like I don't know what to do or how to do it, I'll google a guide and do it that way. I. Will. Learn.

To not get discouraged like I usually do, I think it's good to start off by thinking about what I've done wrong all the other times. Why do I always stop?
Well, I think I stop because the outcome looks like shit and I think the hurdle is too big for me to overcome.. Why do I think they always look like shit? Why don't they come out good? What's so different from all the shit ones, compared to the ones I've done that I really like myself.

[Image: zeagle_sig_600px_notpxl.png][Image: antti_niemi_2_eiflat_fixed.png]

Here's two sig(s) that I'm probably the most proud of, I think they're the best I've done so far, ever. What's so different here vs. the shit ones? I think it's actually really simple: I made them in a big resolution.
And the more I thought about this, the more it made sense and I realized I'm a moron.. Last night as I was brainstorming and trying to create the logos/concepts, I didn't stop to think about how big (small) they were. I was trying to make them on top of the blank jersey, that was 1900xsomething, which is a sizeable picture, but the concepts weren't that big, they were like 400x400, which is really dumb and I'm an absolute moron. And on top of that, I didn't really put effort into the colours being proper or into finding proper fonts. 

So lets cut to the chase then, yeah? I think the best way to start this off, is for me to create sort of a list. What list? A list of things that I think I should do and in what order to do them in, so as to streamline my thoughts a bit.

1. Find the colour scheme
2. What style do I want it to be in?
3. Find the proper font(s)
4. How do I accomplish this?
5. Look up and hopefully find a guide on how to do that specific background white behind the font(I think it's something to do with drop shadow, but we'll see)

1. We're gonna go with the typical Whalers green, but we're also going to add in a little bit of spice, like the New England whalers dun did with this jersey
[Image: colours_whalers.png]

2. Style. Style. Style. I absolutely love this 'caps' jersey, it's so simple yet eye catching. We'll probably still stick to an away jersey style though, but we'll still steal their idea here.
[Image: unknown.png]....[Image: unknown.png](Yeah, lets stick to the away jersey)

3. Alright, next is probably the most important step for the logo to look good. If we can't find a 100% free font, that looks good then we can just scrap this project completely(wait, I said I won't give up wtf..)
-I've spent about 30minutes now looking for a public domain font and it's a bit hard to find something similar, because most of the very futuristic looking ones(like the caps one is) are pay to license etc. but we won't give up yet.
[Image: unknown.png]
I think we found our finalists Wattauchimma at top, Tamworth in the middle and Audiowide at the bottom. These three look really good, but I'll still keep looking for a bit.
->fast forward another 30minutes
I really like the Audiowide the most, so we're gonna rock with it for now, maybe we change our mind once we're finished.

4. Now probably the thing where I get stuck on with most of my projects.. How the hell do I do what I want to do? Well as I said somewhere else, this is a simple font with a white background, but how do we achieve it?
I think it's just a drop shadow, maybe something different in there too? We're gonna figure out now with a little googling..

((Also just realized they released the expansion team branding, jesus christ that looks nice.. Time to out do em! (Press X for doubt)))

A little bit of brainstorming before I start the actual work

So this guy with "green, but not actually green" -eyes from "New Layer" is gonna tell me how to do what I wanna do, I think, lets see..

(This is a screen from the video)
Well, he did exactly what I thought was going to be done->drop shadows

Hmm.. I don't know if this is a whalers logo or a subway logo. More fine tuning is needed

No.. Not quite there yet, but I'm getting tired and hungwy, so I'll take a break for now.

After browsing through the interwebs, I came to the solution that I can't do this project only on photoshop, so I'm now gonna get illustrator and figure that out on a whim.
Learning is fun! As a wise man once said "you only need two things in life, motivation and self-confidence".

Okey ngl, no idea how to run this thing, but that doesn't matter cause some smart guy on the internet will guide me through it

I just feel like the name's too long for what I want to do with it, so I'm going to do a 180 and instead of trying to create a logo similar to the caps one, I'll instead try to go for the Jets/Anaheim one that I talked about in my previous post.

The only thing I have to change is the font really and I can continue with what I've been doing this whole time.

New day, same old me.. I'm again going through some other ideas and making concepts, trying things out.. So yeah, we're dumping what we did earlier and doing new stuff..
Here's some brainstorming, which as per usual when it comes to me, they're going to the bin.

It'd probably be best to focus on one thing and try to properly work that out, but I just feel like everything I've looked at and tried out, just haven't looked good at all. That was the point of this whole thing initially, making a buck with stuff that I usually wouldn't make anything with..

I'm gonna take a step back and attempt the 8bit whale logo again, I think that'd look nice and I got some new ideas to throw at it that might make it more feasible.
I guess for once I should go through what I'm thinking about, before I post a failed attempt. So, I was planning to do a 8bit font, if I can't find one, then I'll make one myself, then glitch feature that. I think the font is the easiest part here, after which I have to look at the whale logo and think about how I want to work with that. Before when I tried to pixelate it, it didn't come out good what-so-ever, which discouraged me quite alot.
[Image: unknown.png][Image: unknown.png]
What a cutie she is. Yeah, I said I'll do font stuff first, but my mind wanders off very quickly, so here we are.
I think we're getting closer to the right direction here, I'll go over the thing again later, but I feel like this is near the end product right now.

I lied. That was nothing close to what I think the final thingymajingy will be like, but by now you were probably already guessing that.
A little timeline offered by photoshop on what I've been working on. I think this is the one...
So I had this idea of having the mountains and the vancouver city skyline in the logo, to really tie the team to Vancouver and as I was googling about for the skyline.. I find out that there's multiple teams that've had the same idea.. Like what the hell, these bastards stole my idea! Well, regardless of that, I'll stay on this one
This whole thing has taken quite alot of time, but I'm not in any rush here so why not take my time. Add in the fact that I'm also very lazy when I don't know what to do.

You know.. The logo that I finally chose to come up with, is pretty much nothing that I had even thought about during all this, but it came on a whim and it was the only one that I actually thought looks good.
Before I show that one, I'm gonna show you the second to last idea that I came up with, which I call the Boat Mountain.

[Image: boat_mountain3.png]
So let me explain this one. The blue is a mountain.. Because Vancouver has a couple of mountains, okey? And the green is a boat. Ya know, like a whaling boat? Krhm.. Yeah.

Grand finale of all things:
[Image: W_jersey_logo.png][Image: Olof_W_jersey_final_flat_filter.jpg]
A Detroit D esque W, with the throwback colours of the Whalers that I mentioned earlier. Pretty neat, right?

Thank you to everyone that might've ACTUALLY read through this whole thing. I hope nobody did, because if you did, then you've seen a glimpse into the chaos that is my thought process and mind.

wc: 1'579

[Image: 64377_v.gif]
Whalers Whalers Whalers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Panthers Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack Wolfpack
Finland / Germany  
Big thanks to Pythonic(first sig evah), Sloth(first LAP sig<3) and Ragnar for their sigs<3
Two time playoffs MVP and two time nominee
Triple gold club
Discord: asska

:eyes:

[Image: steveoiscool.gif]

this is good

[Image: croppad.jpg]

my man farts better than anyone else

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]