Create Account

S60 DFA Bounties #4 - The Alternate Timeline

The SMJHL finals are almost starting, and we're slowly closing in on the off-season and SMJHL draft.

Before the real busy season starts, and you're going to be answering scouting messages from every team, it is time to sit back and relax a little. Dreaming about how your life would've looked without hockey.

Written Task: What would your player be doing now, if he or she hadn't pursued a career in hockey? (250 word min.)
Graphic Task: Show us a picture of your player, doing what they'd do if they weren't a hockey player.

Reward: $500,000 for doing one of the above

Only current SMJHL Draftable Free Agents (S61 SMJHL Draftees, SHL class of S62) are eligible for this bounty.

There is no need to claim this anywhere. After grading the money should pop up in your account 'automatically'.

Deadline: Sunday, August 15th @ 11:59pm EST

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

If I hadn't pursued hockey, I would probably be doing research into cancer. I've always had a passion for trying to help even when it seems impossible, and I would love to contribute to the scientific field after my career is done anyway. I was doing research on tp53 during my time at St. Andrews College, a protein that is directly linked to a vast amounts of cancer, and had only just completed the first round of my testing on the protein itself before I had graduated and moved away from the labs I called home for three years. If given the opportunity I would love to pick up where I left off, as being able to successfully cause a mutation in the tp53 protein would enable modern medicine to think about creating a vaccine for over half of the known cancers the body can create. If we were able to artificially cause tp53 to "turn off" -- I'm getting ahead of myself here. TP53 stands for "Tumor Protein 53", a specific protein common in our DNA that recognizes when a cell has lived out its life cycle, or is becoming a threat to other cells, and begins the process known as apoptosis, or "cell suicide". This protein works every day to keep mutated or infected cells in your body from mutating or infecting other cells. When it is deactivated is when most cancer becomes a tumor, and doctors are able to locate it. By being able to cause the mutation, we can work towards a vaccination that will re-activate TP53 in the human body, thus eliminating the need for treatments such as Chemo and other hard treatments that ultimately damage healthy cells as well as unhealthy ones.

291 Words

[Image: vo42C2b.png]
[Image: hTIaaQX.gif]
HIT SOMEBODY

Cheers to tweedledunn and supertardis101 for the awesome signatures!

Viktor Krunk grew up in Novokuznetsk, Siberia, dreaming only of playing hockey for a living. His only marketable skills are looking tough, having good hand-eye coordination and that trait shared by many Russians - being able to survive extremely cold temperatures.

With that in mind, if hockey hadn't worked out for him, Krunk would have had to train in some kind of MMA and become a bouncer. You know those crazy Russian bouncers that you see on YouTube punching out knife wielding gopniks and having brawls with the Russian mafia? Well, Viktor Krunk probably isn't tough enough to be one of them, but he sure could stand behind them or something. Maybe he could get a sneaky punch in when the situation was already resolved.

This brings us to his non-marketable skill - skating. Krunk trained as a figure skater as a child, something that he hid from his friends at school, because, well, it was a different time (also it was in Siberia) and he was afraid of being bullied. For good reason. Siberian boys are not meant to grow up to skate to music. It was his first passion, before his father made him put on a helmet and hold a stick. If he had been from a different place, or a different time, Krunk would definitely have devoted himself to his figure skating training and probably ended up representing Russia at the Winter Olympics... in those years when Russia are allowed to compete, of course. Sometimes he lays awake at night thinking about the gold medals he probably wouldn't have won.

[Image: crunksig2.png]

Oskar Von Walther would have quite a few career opportunities available to him away from the world of professional hockey. His great-grandfather  Carl Walther's contributions to the German firearms industry would make him a much sought-after participant in the international arms industry. Aside from his potential involvement in firearms, His fathers work as a  notable automotive engineer and designer would also offer him an in-road into Germany's world-renowned automotive industry. Oskar has a interest in both though with slightly more curiosity about vehicle fabrication. Off the ice, Oskar is a somewhat avid motorcyclist though the threat of an injury that could derail his potential athletic career has tempered his enjoyment of the activity.  If Oskar were step away from his career as a hockey player, he would  partake in motorcycling more fervently, that combined with his father's reputation as an automotive designer might give him a  chance to work for  a motorcycle production company.

Of course as noted previously, Oskar is not averse to participation in the firearms industry. While He's not  a particularly skilled marksman he has some  experience with firearms just  as a result of his grandfather and family reputation;. Actual firearm design might be out of Oskar Von Walther's wheelhouse but a  job as a sales representative isn't out of the question, after all  his last name does carry some weight in the gun world. He could also completely disregard his family legacy and birthright to strike out on his on but he doesn't have a  ton of hobbies outside of ice hockey so it seems unlikely that he would do so

Quote:265 Words