Create Account

Add a [better] warning about retirement

how about don't waste people's time and joke retire hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Maybe a lower penalty if you unretire in the first 24h? I feel like 5% would be enough to prevent joke retirement from people who know the rules but wouldn't be as harsh to the people who don't and realize they made a mistake. Then after 24h it's 15%.

[Image: lespoils.gif]

who cares about meme retirers

let em eat the penalty

[Image: OzriPox.png]

Player Page - Update Page

artermis,Feb 2 2017, 04:11 PM Wrote:9gag pretty lit tho

Let people pay for their own mistake there. Sorry, but it is what it is.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]

If you wanna be dumb and retire, be dumb and retire.

[Image: 336.jpg]

once again, I’m not concerned about the people meme retiring, but the people who might seriously think they’re done with the site thanks to assholes acting like assholes and then deciding in the morning the assholes aren’t worth it.

Y’all talk big talk when it comes to mental health but it seems a lot of you aren’t willing to back it up when it comes to people who might make decisions they regret when they’re having a real shitty mental health day.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: nbb.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

08-10-2021, 01:52 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: Y’all talk big talk when it comes to mental health but it seems a lot of you aren’t willing to back it up when it comes to people who might make decisions they regret when they’re having a real shitty mental health day.

When this topic was started I didn't really think much of it. Yeah, we have the rules and the rulebook or whatnot. But I don't mind the grace period idea. Maybe it could be an annoying extra step for those gone, but that wasn't a concern when we did the same step with the goalie influx. If you want to keep the punishment regardless, 5% ain't bad, as Lespoils mentioned. If you want it higher, maybe. But there have been situations although not incredibly common that warrants thought about the whole thing, even if no changes are made.

08-10-2021, 01:52 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: Y’all talk big talk when it comes to mental health but it seems a lot of you aren’t willing to back it up when it comes to people who might make decisions they regret when they’re having a real shitty mental health day.

Jess, I don't think anyone is saying or implying that. You just literally cannot have a grace period of no penalty, because it leads to meme and joke retirements, which cause their own issues. Maybe do a 10% penalty instead of 15% for the first 24 hours, but that's about the only thing I could see happening.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

08-10-2021, 01:23 PMCampinKiller Wrote: Let people pay for their own mistake there. Sorry, but it is what it is.

It doesn't have to be what it is tho. If the cost of preventing meme retiring is losing newer users who didn't understand the implications of retiring, I say we live with meme retiring. But I'm sure there's a place in the middle that would prevent both meme retiring and situations where people will say "I made a mistake and it's not worth the trouble of fixing it so I'll just leave the site"

[Image: lespoils.gif]

08-10-2021, 02:10 PMlespoils Wrote:
08-10-2021, 01:23 PMCampinKiller Wrote: Let people pay for their own mistake there. Sorry, but it is what it is.

It doesn't have to be what it is tho. If the cost of preventing meme retiring is losing newer users who didn't understand the implications of retiring, I say we live with meme retiring. But I'm sure there's a place in the middle that would prevent both meme retiring and situations where people will say "I made a mistake and it's not worth the trouble of fixing it so I'll just leave the site"

My only thing there with not having any penalty, though, is that it's clearly stated, in multiple places, what will happen if you retire and then wish to unretire.

PatriotesUsaWhalers

(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021, 02:18 PM by .bojo.)

I added a clearer message in the title of the rules thread.

[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021, 02:48 PM by Lime.)

08-10-2021, 02:07 PMCampinKiller Wrote:

Jess, I don't think anyone is saying or implying that. You just literally cannot have a grace period of no penalty, because it leads to meme and joke retirements, which cause their own issues. Maybe do a 10% penalty instead of 15% for the first 24 hours, but that's about the only thing I could see happening.
Actually, that doesn't seem to be the case. I've looked at the PBE retirement forum and it appears that the grace period has not been abused as far back as I looked. A few threads are marked as unretired but they seem to have been for a good reason like letting the team use their corpse for a while longer. I think we should look into the idea further.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2021, 03:05 PM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

Aside from the whole meme retirement thing, if we implemented some of the changes suggested in here that would make unretiring have very little consequences, it would open up a whole new avenue of potential abuse and players would then be able to use retirements to strongarm their GMs, force trades, avoid certain teams in the Draft etc... I think some people underestimate the can of worms such a change would open.

Besides, I think it's a bit tactless to insinuate that people in here don't care about mental health merely because they don't agree with a suggestion you made/support. There are legitimate reasons why the rule was originally implemented and there also are legitimate arguments to uphold it - which of course you can disagree with on a factual level, but don't resort to shitty personal attacks like that. Nobody is gonna be forced off their player for a snap decision and if you wanna discuss lowering the amount they lose by unretiring from 15% to 10% or something then be my guest. But actions need to have consequences or this game becomes meaningless - especially if the rules clearly state what those consequences are in multiple places.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

Retirement is meant to be a big decision that you should at least talk to someone else about if you're considering it, and if not, at least sleep on it. If you are willing to throw away all the work you put into your player (for the most case literal years) because you're having a bad day I really don't know what to tell ya

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]