Create Account

Add a [better] warning about retirement

08-10-2021, 03:04 PMSlashACM Wrote: Retirement is meant to be a big decision that you should at least talk to someone else about if you're considering it, and if not, at least sleep on it. If you are willing to throw away all the work you put into your player (for the most case literal years) because you're having a bad day I really don't know what to tell ya
The people unfamiliar with the consequences of retirement are going to be new users who haven't made that investment yet. I think it's fair to try to stop them from making a mistake that will all but guarantee their presence gone or majorly diminished. For those that have made the investment and still act irrationally I think It's ok to tell them they have a day to make sure that's what they want after it sinks in.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

I um....agree with Lime.

If you're gonna be a dingus and make an incredibly overplayed joke about retiring on the *one day a year* anybody even remotely thinks that's funny, that's on you but I don't think it's the huge problem people are suggesting it is.

Y'all are giving me this lecture calling me "tactless" like "you think people don't care about mental health because they don't agree with you" but I am telling you this from the perspective of a person (me) who actually *does* deal with mental health issues and *has* had those momentary impulses, I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. It's not a "personal attack" it's my personal experience.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

08-10-2021, 03:55 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: I um....agree with Lime.

If you're gonna be a dingus and make an incredibly overplayed joke about retiring on the *one day a year* anybody even remotely thinks that's funny, that's on you but I don't think it's the huge problem people are suggesting it is.

Y'all are giving me this lecture calling me "tactless" like "you think people don't care about mental health because they don't agree with you" but I am telling you this from the perspective of a person (me) who actually *does* deal with mental health issues and *has* had those momentary impulses, I'm not just pulling this out of my ass. It's not a "personal attack" it's my personal experience.

So who is to say that some of the people who disagree with you aren't dealing with some of the same things themselves, that someone might be lashing out because of his or her own struggles? As someone who is dealing with some of these issues, shouldn't you know not to weaponize that topic against those whose own situation you don't know either? If you wanna change the rule because you think it has a negative effect on some people then feel free to argue for that, I'd probably even agree with some of it. But maybe don't expect everyone to be super sensitive and understanding towards your experience while completely ignoring theirs.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

08-10-2021, 02:15 PM.bojo Wrote: I added a clearer message in the title of the rules thread.

[Image: unknown.png]

<3

08-10-2021, 04:22 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
08-10-2021, 03:55 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: I um....agree with Lime.

So who is to say that some of the people who disagree with you aren't dealing with some of the same things themselves, that someone might be lashing out because of his or her own struggles? As someone who is dealing with some of these issues, shouldn't you know not to weaponize that topic against those whose own situation you don't know either? If you wanna change the rule because you think it has a negative effect on some people then feel free to argue for that, I'd probably even agree with some of it. But maybe don't expect everyone to be super sensitive and understanding towards your experience while completely ignoring theirs.

I am not trying to weaponize anything. I am simply saying that this cavalier "well if you do it then you're a dumbass and you suck NO MERCY" attitude really rubs me the wrong way. I am not assuming anybody who disagrees with me hasn't dealt with that stuff themselves, I am saying that on the whole we could do with showing a little more grace and patience towards each other. That's it.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

08-10-2021, 04:28 PMsköldpaddor Wrote:
08-10-2021, 04:22 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: So who is to say that some of the people who disagree with you aren't dealing with some of the same things themselves, that someone might be lashing out because of his or her own struggles? As someone who is dealing with some of these issues, shouldn't you know not to weaponize that topic against those whose own situation you don't know either? If you wanna change the rule because you think it has a negative effect on some people then feel free to argue for that, I'd probably even agree with some of it. But maybe don't expect everyone to be super sensitive and understanding towards your experience while completely ignoring theirs.

I am not trying to weaponize anything. I am simply saying that this cavalier "well if you do it then you're a dumbass and you suck NO MERCY" attitude really rubs me the wrong way. I am not assuming anybody who disagrees with me hasn't dealt with that stuff themselves, I am saying that on the whole we could do with showing a little more grace and patience towards each other. That's it.

I can agree with that.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

08-10-2021, 08:20 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: https://exceptionnotfound.net/bikesheddi...s%20wasted.

This should have ended the thread. This isn't a problem

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Retiring is the nuclear option though. People are always free to walk away from the league or take time off and return when they feel up to it. There is no stipulation that you have to be active to keep your player. Literally every locker room I've been in on the site has encouraged people to put their lives and well being before this stupid game.

If you actively choose to navigate the retirement process then I don't really see why we should entertain buyer's remorse when it's far easier to just go temporarily IA.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

08-10-2021, 04:34 PMSlashACM Wrote:
08-10-2021, 08:20 AMPremierBromanov Wrote: https://exceptionnotfound.net/bikesheddi...s%20wasted.

This should have ended the thread. This isn't a problem
This implies there is something better to do which is not necessarily true for everyone

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

08-10-2021, 04:37 PMLime Wrote:
08-10-2021, 04:34 PMSlashACM Wrote: This should have ended the thread. This isn't a problem
This implies there is something better to do which is not necessarily true for everyone

Fair enough. Just procrastinating on CW

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

Better warning is there, now we can all be frens Smile

Except for my enemies :@

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

08-10-2021, 04:37 PMAcsolap Wrote: Retiring is the nuclear option though. People are always free to walk away from the league or take time off and return when they feel up to it. There is no stipulation that you have to be active to keep your player. Literally every locker room I've been in on the site has encouraged people to put their lives and well being before this stupid game.

If you actively choose to navigate the retirement process then I don't really see why we should entertain buyer's remorse when it's far easier to just go temporarily IA.
+1

[Image: 336.jpg]

08-10-2021, 02:07 PMCampinKiller Wrote:
08-10-2021, 01:52 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: Y’all talk big talk when it comes to mental health but it seems a lot of you aren’t willing to back it up when it comes to people who might make decisions they regret when they’re having a real shitty mental health day.

Jess, I don't think anyone is saying or implying that. You just literally cannot have a grace period of no penalty, because it leads to meme and joke retirements, which cause their own issues. Maybe do a 10% penalty instead of 15% for the first 24 hours, but that's about the only thing I could see happening.

while i agree with you and dankoa, i must say that PBE, with the grace period, doesn't get any troll retirement as far as i am aware. The grace period is one time per user and doesn't reset every time you think again and decide 'wait, i don't actually want to retire cause i still like this website and not everyone is an ass.' It's really something i would encourage to check out and think about to HO or anyone reading this thread. You can even go look at PBE and see trolling doesn't really happen.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

08-10-2021, 04:37 PMAcsolap Wrote: Retiring is the nuclear option though. People are always free to walk away from the league or take time off and return when they feel up to it. There is no stipulation that you have to be active to keep your player. Literally every locker room I've been in on the site has encouraged people to put their lives and well being before this stupid game.

For having talk with some people who choose the retirement option, it's actually the though that they wouldn't be able to actually hold back on the league if they knew they still had a player. When you are already emotional for a X or Y reason, sometime, logic isn't really present. Having 'nothing' to return too can be easier to digest for some user who try to quit the league. You say we shouldn't entertain buyer's remorse but yet we still do but at a -15% penalty. I just think it hurt literally no one to have a try at a 24h grace period once per user.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

08-10-2021, 02:15 PM.bojo Wrote: I added a clearer message in the title of the rules thread.

thats why you were the big dog, big man

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]