Create Account

S60 State of the Union

08-11-2021, 01:29 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: So regarding tiers, does it then make sense to just not update for a few weeks to keep my player TPE under a threshhold? that seems skeevy, but I dont really know how else to track TPE. Maybe one day when we get automatic updates this issue will disappear.

When the rulebook is updated with the official wording it should/will include a clause that will mitigate that behaviour.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

08-11-2021, 11:32 AMnour Wrote:
08-11-2021, 10:55 AMBlastmeaway Wrote: When will we be getting the 4th line back?

Idk if this is a serious ask or a meme, but if it’s a serious one I can answer if you would like just lemme know Smile

100% serious. I would love to fight for my role from the 4th line.

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

08-11-2021, 02:48 PMTommySalami Wrote:
08-11-2021, 12:51 PMroastpuff Wrote: I don't think shorter seasons are the answer to finding consistency. I worry about GMs and other league job-holders who need downtime between seasons - if they do not get time to decompress between season to season, it just ups the stress level and will lead to faster burnout.

The off-season isn't being hit all too hard by the shortening. The sim team is going to be the biggest help to this, with a sim team we can fit a few more games during each sim and shorten the regular season by a few days, not skip Sundays during the playoffs and start the next round om the evening if game 7s are finished during an afternoon sim.

I know Luke is working on a presentable schedule that will hopefully put people's minds to ease.

Implementing it this offseason is extremely unlikely because of the Juniors expansion.

Days between draft
S56: 70
S57: 70
S58: 63
S59: 70
S60: 64

So now the question is, how do we get it back down into the 50's. The average days in a season from S40-S52 is 56 days. The average days in a season from S53-S60 is 64.

Well how can we make it
1. Schedule is more consistant so that we can plan seasons months in advance
2. Make is so that we can have more seasons in a year
3. Make the most people happy

So first of all, whats the schedule like right now. We can take S60 as an example, as the average days of a season in FHM is 64 days

6/12 - SHL Draft

Week 1: 6/13 - 6/20: Draft + offseason
Week 2: 6/20 - 6/26: Preseason + 3 days of RS
Week 3: 6/27 - 7/03: 2nd week of RS
Week 4: 7/04 - 7/10: 3rd week of RS
Week 5: 7/11 - 7/17: 4th week of RS + Trade deadline
Week 6: 7/18 - 7/22: SHL & SMJHL season ends 7/23 - 7/25 there is nothing
Week 7: 7/25 - 7/31 - 1st week of playoffs
Week 8: 8/1 - 8/7 - 2nd week of playoffs
Week 9: 8/8 - 8/11 - final week of playoffs ; 8/12 - 8/14 "offseason" + Draft

My proposition would eliminate the 5th week of regular season, to also elimnate the 7/23 - 7/25 days of nothing. Because there are 25 days of regular season + 3 days of preseason, we have 28 days of it, which does not go into 6 days evenly.

My proposition(which Kal said would work with 3 simmers), would be to cut the regular season by 4 days, allowing 21 regular season + 3 preseason, allowing for 24 days of preseason + regular season, making it an even 4 weeks.

Week 1: Draft + 1 week of offseason
Week 2: Preseason + 3rdays of RS
Week 3: 2nd week of RS + trade deadline
Week 4: 3rd week of RS
Week 5: Final week of playoffs
Week 6: 1st week of playoffs
Week 7: 2nd week of playoffs
Week 8: 3rd week of playoffs + the 3 days of offseason
Week 9: Start of new season

It is something that we can accurately plan out seasons months in advance.

Now you can say, why do we need 3 weeks of playoffs, so if you want to eliminate the 3rd week of playoffs, then you would have 1 week of offseason before the draft, which doesnt really do much, as much of the offseason tasks are after the draft.

if you collapse the playoffs into 2 weeks you would have the finals end on a saturday.

lets say you go, each series is 3 days. So 2 rounds are in a week.

Week 6: 1st and 2nd round of playoffs
Week 7: 3rd and 4th round of playoffs
Week 8: Full week of offseason then draft on that saturday.
Week 9: FUll week of offseason with preseason that coming monday.

As a former GM I cant justify having a week of an offseason before a draft, and I cant justify having the draft right after the finals.

With 3 simmers, it will be enable us to collapse the sims into ~31-37 sims a day. I already talked to Kal about it, he said
"
yeah that's a good idea I think, we'd need consistent people that can sim their full week, also easier on the livestreams since you look at the schedule and like o cool kal is simming so this week games are at 3pm, then next week ok cool this week games are at 5pm, so less of back and forth, 4 fewer irl days to sim that's nice, more work on sim days but with 3 simmers it shouldn't be too bad. I would expect at most 5 live games if we go with 30-35 games a day tho, that's probably around 90 mins already I think

Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2021, 07:14 PM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

08-12-2021, 06:30 PMluketd Wrote:
08-11-2021, 02:48 PMTommySalami Wrote: The off-season isn't being hit all too hard by the shortening. The sim team is going to be the biggest help to this, with a sim team we can fit a few more games during each sim and shorten the regular season by a few days, not skip Sundays during the playoffs and start the next round om the evening if game 7s are finished during an afternoon sim.

I know Luke is working on a presentable schedule that will hopefully put people's minds to ease.

Implementing it this offseason is extremely unlikely because of the Juniors expansion.

Days between draft

So now the question is, how do we get it back down into the 50's. The average days in a season from S40-S52 is 56 days. The average days in a season from S53-S60 is 64.

Well how can we make it

So first of all, whats the schedule like right now. We can take S60 as an example, as the average days of a season in FHM is 64 days

6/12 - SHL Draft

My proposition would eliminate the 5th week of regular season, to also elimnate the 7/23 - 7/25 days of nothing. Because there are 25 days of regular season + 3 days of preseason, we have 28 days of it, which does not go into 6 days evenly.

My proposition(which Kal said would work with 3 simmers), would be to cut the regular season by 4 days, allowing 21 regular season + 3 preseason, allowing for 24 days of preseason + regular season, making it an even 4 weeks.

Now you can say, why do we need 3 weeks of playoffs, so if you want to eliminate the 3rd week of playoffs, then you would have 1 week of offseason before the draft, which doesnt really do much, as much of the offseason tasks are after the draft.

if you collapse the playoffs into 2 weeks you would have the finals end on a saturday.

As a former GM I cant justify having a week of an offseason before a draft, and I cant justify having the draft right after the finals.

With 3 simmers, it will be enable us to collapse the sims into ~31-37 sims a day. I already talked to Kal about it, he said
"
yeah that's a good idea I think, we'd need consistent people that can sim their full week, also easier on the livestreams since you look at the schedule and like o cool kal is simming so this week games are at 3pm, then next week ok cool this week games are at 5pm, so less of back and forth, 4 fewer irl days to sim that's nice, more work on sim days but with 3 simmers it shouldn't be too bad. I would expect at most 5 live games if we go with 30-35 games a day tho, that's probably around 90 mins already I think

You seem to have put quite a bit of thought into this but for me one question still kinda remains unanswered: Why? Why do we need to do all of this, what's the purpose?

I get wanting to have more consistent scheduling to allow us to plan seasons in advance, although I doubt it will ever be perfect, you'll always need some buffer days which will add up over the course of multiple seasons.

But more importantly, what's the point of shaving off significant amounts or regular season or playoff time while barely touching off-season length? All that would do is make our action-vs-inaction ratio worse. We would essentially end up with more downtime and less to do, even if we manage to squeeze an extra season into each calendar year. I don't see how short seasons are inherently "better" than longer ones. I guess making progression faster both on an individual and a team level is one argument for it but we would essentially make every season mean less if we inflate the number & the speed of them. And the more we cut in regards to the regular season, the harder the impact will be particularly for all the teams that don't go deep in the playoffs - you know, the teams that already don't have much fun as is due to the parity issues we are still struggling with.

It is interesting to compare the seasons lengths we have today to those of let's say the S40s but I don't think that comparison holds up completely - we simply have more games to get through nowadays both in the regular season and the playoffs and we are also running a different engine and putting a bigger emphasis on live stream. Of course seasons will be timed slightly differently to how they were 10 seasons ago because of that, I don't see this as an issue.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

08-12-2021, 06:30 PMluketd Wrote: So now the question is, how do we get it back down into the 50's. The average days in a season from S40-S52 is 56 days. The average days in a season from S53-S60 is 64.

Well how can we make it

1. OK I get it
2. Why?
3. Who?

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

08-12-2021, 07:18 PMroastpuff Wrote:
08-12-2021, 06:30 PMluketd Wrote: So now the question is, how do we get it back down into the 50's. The average days in a season from S40-S52 is 56 days. The average days in a season from S53-S60 is 64.

Well how can we make it

1. OK I get it
2. Why?
3. Who?

08-12-2021, 07:12 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
08-12-2021, 06:30 PMluketd Wrote: Days between draft

Well how can we make it

6/12 - SHL Draft

"

You seem to have put quite a bit of thought into this but for me one question still kinda remains unanswered: Why? Why do we need to do all of this, what's the purpose?

I get wanting to have more consistent scheduling to allow us to plan seasons in advance, although I doubt it will ever be perfect, you'll always need some buffer days which will add up over the course of multiple seasons.

But more importantly, what's the point of shaving off significant amounts or regular season or playoff time while barely touching off-season length? All that would do is make our action-vs-inaction ratio worse. We would essentially end up with more downtime and less to do, even if we manage to squeeze an extra season into each calendar year. I don't see how short seasons are inherently "better" than longer ones. I guess making progression faster both on an individual and a team level is one argument for it but we would essentially make every season mean less if we inflate the number & the speed of them. And the more we cut in regards to the regular season, the harder the impact will be particularly for all the teams that don't go deep in the playoffs - you know, the teams that already don't have much fun as is due to the parity issues we are still struggling with.

It is interesting to compare the seasons lengths we have today to those of let's say the S40s but I don't think that comparison holds up completely - we simply have more games to get through nowadays both in the regular season and the playoffs and we are also running a different engine and putting a bigger emphasis on live stream. Of course seasons will be timed slightly differently to how they were 10 seasons ago because of that, I don't see this as an issue.

To combine RoastPuff's question and RED's first question of why

Quote:I guess making progression faster both on an individual and a team level is one argument for it but we would essentially make every season mean less if we inflate the number & the speed of them. And the more we cut in regards to the regular season, the harder the impact will be particularly for all the teams that don't go deep in the playoffs - you know, the teams that already don't have much fun as is due to the parity issues we are still struggling with.

So there are a couple of benefits for making more seasons in a year. The main one I always come to, is that if we want to make rebuilding easier, having more seasons in a year helps with that. First of all they get more drafts in a year in order to maximize their rebuild potential. Along with that, it makes rebuilding easier when you have more seasons in a year, so that people arent stuck in a rebuild for 1 1/2 irl years. There have been many complaints about how long IRL rebuilds take, so making it where you can fit more seasons into the year will help with that. Sure its only an increase from 5.7 seasons/year to  6.5 seasons/year, but that 1 season increase a year helps when you are a rebuilding team that is building from the ground up. 

From that, it also helps you to fulfill your players more, as it takes 1.7(20.4 months) years in 9 weeks to get to 10 seasons, where as it is only 1.5 years(18 months) in 8 weeks a season. So you can have your player for the same amount of seasons, but IRL you dont have to commit to a player for just that bit longer. Lets say you want to be in the league for 20 seasons, isntead of 3.4 years(40th months), it is only 3 years(36 months).

It also comes with parity slightly, not a ton but if good teams get to regression earlier, than it will help with teams not being dominant for years, but slightly less. And in the same extent with the rebuilding teams, you get to be on a good team quicker irl.

- The offseason poll people indicated that the seasons/offseason were too long

Quote:But more importantly, what's the point of shaving off significant amounts or regular season or playoff time while barely touching off-season length? All that would do is make our action-vs-inaction ratio worse. We would essentially end up with more downtime and less to do, even if we manage to squeeze an extra season into each calendar year. I don't see how short seasons are inherently "better" than longer ones. I guess making progression faster both on an individual and a team level is one argument for it but we would essentially make every season mean less if we inflate the number & the speed of them. And the more we cut in regards to the regular season, the harder the impact will be particularly for all the teams that don't go deep in the playoffs - you know, the teams that already don't have much fun as is due to the parity issues we are still struggling with.

This is the lowest we can possible make the offseason. The offseason is only 1 1/2 from when the cup is awarded to when preseason starts. For most teams it will be 2 weeks because they arent in the finals.

Realistically, lets say you are a non playoff team, you get 4 weeks of preseason + regular season of playing games, and then 3 weeks of not playing games. And then 1 week of the offseason where in the SHL you dont play games, but you compete in the IIHF. Compare that to the previous where it is 4 1/2 weeks of the preseason + regular season (28 days), and 3 weeks of playoffs, the different is not that much. It only seems long because you get that 4 days of a regular season.

Code:

Days between 2 drafts
S53: 62
S54  60
S55  59
S56  70 (expansion)
S57  70

As you can see, even when we were playing 50 games, the days between were lower, but in S56 and S57 they jumped up to 70. And then S58 and S60 they went back down to where they were when we have 50 games. Expansion does come into play where you add another week of course. But you see the point.

Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

08-10-2021, 09:39 PMnour Wrote: Canadice
As I’m sure a lot of you have seen, SHL user @Canadice has given us an absolutely phenomenal new SHL resource in their Analytics App, and we’ve been no strangers to rewarding great dev work in the past! We got in touch with Canadice to have them incorporate a regression tracker into the Analytics App, which is actually live right now, click HERE to check it out! More systems like this that we can automate means less room for human error, and also means that the workload for tracking regression and posting it every season has become much, much simpler. Everyone please give Canadice a massive thank you, I’m sure they’re going to be a massive contributor towards improving this site and its systems as the seasons go forth! Going forward, Canadice will receive a $4,000,000 seasonal paycheck from HO for the maintenance of this app.

Kinda seems worthy of a pt pass, if it's real life time spent on a tool that makes things take less rl time for lots of other people

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

08-13-2021, 08:55 AMwumaduce Wrote:
08-10-2021, 09:39 PMnour Wrote: Canadice
As I’m sure a lot of you have seen, SHL user @Canadice has given us an absolutely phenomenal new SHL resource in their Analytics App, and we’ve been no strangers to rewarding great dev work in the past! We got in touch with Canadice to have them incorporate a regression tracker into the Analytics App, which is actually live right now, click HERE to check it out! More systems like this that we can automate means less room for human error, and also means that the workload for tracking regression and posting it every season has become much, much simpler. Everyone please give Canadice a massive thank you, I’m sure they’re going to be a massive contributor towards improving this site and its systems as the seasons go forth! Going forward, Canadice will receive a $4,000,000 seasonal paycheck from HO for the maintenance of this app.

Kinda seems worthy of a pt pass, if it's real life time spent on a tool that makes things take less rl time for lots of other people

canadice already has a pt pass but id agree

08-13-2021, 08:56 AMgolden_apricot Wrote:
08-13-2021, 08:55 AMwumaduce Wrote: Kinda seems worthy of a pt pass, if it's real life time spent on a tool that makes things take less rl time for lots of other people

canadice already has a pt pass but id agree

Well they should take it away and give another one

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

08-13-2021, 09:06 AMwumaduce Wrote:
08-13-2021, 08:56 AMgolden_apricot Wrote: canadice already has a pt pass but id agree

Well they should take it away and give another one

Hmm

Maybe I'm talking from personal bias here but I would think shorter seasons would help with player retention. I don't know what the average amount of time a user spends actively engaging in the site is but if it's six or seven months, getting the most seasons out of their commitment and availability seems like something the league should aim for.

You could argue that having longer seasons means that the people who do stick around are really invested in their player but I think have long seasons just gives more players chances to go inactive. It would be interesting to see a graph or chart of season length vs retention.

It could be lead to GM burnout but if you have a larger, active player pool that's less of a concern then if you have a small, shallow dedicated one.

Updated SOTU to reflect change to contract extension rules. We've added the line "There will be an exception to this rule between the end of the playoffs and the beginning of free agency. You may re-sign your players at the tier they would regress to AFTER making all pre-regression claims"

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points

08-13-2021, 09:32 AMgolden_apricot Wrote:
08-13-2021, 09:06 AMwumaduce Wrote: Well they should take it away and give another one

Hmm

Now to figure out how to use that PT pass I already have...

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

08-17-2021, 03:33 AMCanadice Wrote:
08-13-2021, 09:32 AMgolden_apricot Wrote: Hmm

Now to figure out how to use that PT pass I already have...

just claim pts and championship week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!