Create Account

(Graded) Newfoundland's Bright Future
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 06:50 PM by Omniscius.)

Newfoundland Berserkers have had a historic season with a 56-7-3 record with 115 points and a plus 158 goal difference. Many think they are going to win the playoffs and with one win away they'll probably do it. There are so many great players on the team like team points leader Robert Black, the big hitter in Billy Brooks, the brick wall which is Evgeni Petrov, and more leading the frontlines, but today's deep dive will focus on one of their more fringe players: Jonas Johansson. Jonnas Johansson, the 196 cm and 100 kg goalkeeper, was born in Gävle, Sweden where he grew up watching his favourite player Peter Forsberg and the Colorado Avalanche on tv. He wanted to grow up and play professional ice hockey too. Originally a centre like his idol, Jonas Johansson played goalie one day while having a pick-up match with friends and never looked back. Jonas Johansson eventually made his way to the u-18 Swedish national team where he really made his mark, eventually catching the eyes of scouts, particularly the Detroit Falcons and Newfoundland Berserkers. Jonas Johansson was unsure of who he should pick, but after talking through with his family he decided to go with Newfoundland. Jonas himself wasn't from a big city (or big country) and knew that settling into Saint Johns would be easier than if he were to go to Detroit. Saint Johns is a small, quiet coastal city which suits Jonas who loves to fish. As well, Saint Johns is closer to home and really believes in the hockey program there. After his rookie season in the SMJHL, Jonas is looking forward to the SHL draft and where his future home may be in a few years. 

Jonas Johansson has had a stellar year as a rookie in the SMJHL posting 17-3-1 record with a 1.98 GAA (second best in the league), a 0.906 save percentage, and 2 shutouts (only one behind Petrov despite playing 22 less games). Johansson had such a stellar season, that the Berserkers gave him 2 starts to begin the playoffs where Jonas Johansson won both his games posting an incredible 0.50 GAA, a 0.960 save percentage, and a shutout. This even earned Jonas Johansson a call-up to Sweden for the world juniors where he's posted a 2-1 record with a 2.59 GAA and a 0.887 save percentage so far. Jonas has not only shown he can be reliable when called upon, but he stops pucks as good as anyone. Jonas likes to play a butterfly style game relying on his positioning and long limbs to stretch out his body to make saves. Jonas has great positioning paired with fast reflexes. Down low, Jonas is almost impossible to score on forcing attackers to lift the puck and often miss (this is why sometimes he often will only face 20 or so shots a game). Mimicking one of the goalies he saw growing up as a kid Patrick Roy when he played for the Aves alongside Forsberg, Jonas likes to tease shooters by lower his glove side a bit. Jonas is excited for next season and believes he will continue to grow into a better player and into being a great man.

Word count: 555

[Image: png_20230208_222443_0000.png][Image: johanseen.jpg]

Excited to see what you're going to do with this team once I'm gone, the future is bright!

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2021, 05:07 AM by Opera_Phantom.)

Approved!

+5 TPE @Omniscius

08-12-2021, 11:10 PMRenoJacksonHS Wrote: Excited to see what you're going to do with this team once I'm gone, the future is bright!
Thanks so much. I have big shoes to fill, but I also have one of the best as my mentor. I'll make sure to keep us Zerkers strong! Berserkers

[Image: png_20230208_222443_0000.png][Image: johanseen.jpg]