Create Account

[2x Draft Media] Kelowna's [S61] Draft Class One Season Later

A lot has happened in the Season since the draft of Kelowna's [S61] draft class as detailed in my article here. With the close of the SHL draft, let’s take a look at how well the prospects are progressing through one season of development.

Round 1 - 12th overall - Leons Briedis LD
The stay at home defenseman from Riga, Latvia had a hell of a Rookie Season, putting up 23 points and solidifying himself as the Knights #1 defenceman. He is among the top of the entire class in earned TPE and has established himself as a leader in the room. This was a slam dunk pick who has lived up to the expectations. He was drafted into the SHL 3rd Overall by the Montreal Patriotes.

Round 2 - 17th Overall (From ANA) - Tomas Zadina LW
What can you say about a player like Tomas Zadina? The Left Winger established a strong, steady game on the ice at both ends of the rink on the young Kelowna team and caught many scouts eyes with his play. The shifty winger was drafted 8th Overall by the New Orleans Specters and has already been called up to their roster. This was an absolute brilliant pick by Kelowna.

Round 2 - 22nd Overall (From NLB) - Petra Sabor LW
Petra Sabor had a solid rookie season, earning good ice time and scoring 17 points. Sabor has not been a max earner for TPE, but has an opportunity to really push up his earning rate this year and will be given every opportunity to hold a place in the Top 6 for Kelowna. Sabor was not drafted into the SHL.

Round 3 - 29th Overall (from ANA) - Duncan Mackenzie RW
Duncan Mackenzie showed how much he enjoys hitting people, throwing down 94 hits to go along with 17 points in limited minutes during his first season. He has earned consistently, and will be capped out heading into his second season with the Knights. His mean style of play and his off-ice personality shot him up the draft boards, earning him an 18th overall selection by the Calgary Dragons. Mackenzie looks to be a key player for Kelowna over the next several seasons and appears to be a steal of a pick at 29.

Round 3 - 34th Overall (From NLB) - Sean Stevenson III C
The Czech center put in the work this last season, putting up big rookie numbers and earning at a strong rate. He will play a key role for the rebuilding Knights, likely playing as the second line center and seeing significant special team minutes. The Winnipeg Aurora took him at 35 Overall and this will likely see him being labeled a steal in future years.

Round 3 - 36th Overall - Jason Playstation G
The Japanese netminder failed to deliver on the potential he showed in lower levels, never showing any signs of improvement as the season went on. He went undrafted in the SHL draft and is likely to be in a strong competition to even keep a spot as emergency backup on the Knights. It is still early, but Playstation is showing all the signs of being a bust.

Round 5 - 60th Overall - Sebastian Weiss LD
The big Defenceman had a great season for Kelowna, putting up 20 points and earning at a fantastic rate through the year. He will slot into the #2 defenceman spot next season for Kelowna and is likely to be a big part of any push for the playoffs. He fell unexpectedly in the SHL draft to 83rd overall, but he is ready and waiting to prove to each and every SHL GM just how wrong they were to let him drop.

Round 6 - 62 Overall (From STL) - Scott Thorn RW
The second Power Winger drafted by the Knights, Scott Thorn showed pure promise and potential through his rookie season and finished third on the team in hits. He is a sure-fire SHL star and will play a huge role in the upcoming Knights season. He earned TPE at a fantastic rate and showed himself to be an absolute steal at 62 Overall. The Montreal Patriotes picked him at 45th Overall in the SHL draft.

Round 6 - 70th Overall (From NLB) - Tim Rocker C
Tim Rocker had a decent first season statistically, however he did not put in the work off the ice, leading to stagnation and a disappointed coaching staff. He went undrafted in the SHL Draft and will have to fight for a roster spot next year. I do not expect to see Rocker in the SMJHL for much longer.

Round 6 - 72 Overall - Zachary Berdan LD
Zach Berdan was another no-show on and off the ice. He is already out of the league. There were not any superstars taken after this pick, so the Knights did as well as possible with this selection based on what they had to choose from.

Round 7 - 84th Overall - Luca Shark LW
It is always tough to call a 7th round pick a bust, but after appearing in only 5 games for Kelowna, it appears as if Shark’s career may be over. He did not put in the effort on or off the ice and he looks to be one of the first cuts at training camp this season.

[Image: %3E%5Balign=center%5D]
Aurora Winnipeg Aurora Aurora

thank you for feeding my ego

[Image: kILVP74.png]    [Image: qtbn8zh.png]    [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: Monochroma_Sig_2_1.gif]
Patriotes Knights Latvia Knights Latvia Knights Patriotes

Coach tells me it's my job to feed your ego and keep you happy. Can I get you a beer?

08-18-2021, 11:44 AMDarkCanuck29 Wrote: Coach tells me it's my job to feed your ego and keep you happy. Can I get you a beer?
i don't drink, can i get a red bull instead

[Image: kILVP74.png]    [Image: qtbn8zh.png]    [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: Monochroma_Sig_2_1.gif]
Patriotes Knights Latvia Knights Latvia Knights Patriotes

Sure can good buddy!